Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad for Street Tire Class HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Brake Pad for Street Tire Class HPDE

Quick question for you regular track guys....I plan to hit the track a lot more next year, for now with street tires (Michelin Super Sports/PS2), and maybe Toyo Proxes 888's when those are done. So, Im looking for a more track dedicated brake pad, Im guessing the Hawk HP+ wont cut it. I have my eyes on two sets, Carbotech XP10/8 combo and Hawk HT-10's. I like the Carbotechs because they start working at 200* vs the Hawks at 300*, for street driving to and from the track. I plan to use regular oem blank rotors, throw away as needed. What do you guys think, overkill or decent pads? I'll probably stay in the moddified/street tire class for now.

Btw I was thinking of Carbotech XP8's all around but it looks like theyre recommended more for cars under 2400lbs. Dont need brake fade after a 150mph straight.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

When I was on XP10/8's with PS2's, I got good results. As my driving improved, I got very light smearing on these pads (possibly working them too hard). That setup would be a great starting point, but you may move into 12/10's down the road depending on your driving style.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:46 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Thanks Taken, Ill look into those as well.

Any EBC Blue Stuff users? Ive read a few decent reviews.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
When I was on XP10/8's with PS2's, I got good results. As my driving improved, I got very light smearing on these pads (possibly working them too hard). That setup would be a great starting point, but you may move into 12/10's down the road depending on your driving style.
I would say start w 10/8 on street tires and then move up to 12/10. Must match pads to tires + experience. 10/8 will not cut it on street tires once you are intermediate.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I would say start w 10/8 on street tires and then move up to 12/10. Must match pads to tires + experience. 10/8 will not cut it on street tires once you are intermediate.
Absolutely true. A I grew out if my old PS2's, I started noticing slight smearing on the rotor faces. That told me I was asking more from my XP-10/8 combo then they wanted to give me.

Last edited by taken19; 11-15-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Again, thanks for the info on the brake pads guys.

The car's been sitting a few days but I noticed a ring of hot spots in the center of the rotor. Not sure what caused it. Have Hawk hps street pads on there and braking feels solid. I wonder if the rotor has a high spot in the center. I have yet to remove it to check it out. What do you guys say, run it as it at the track with race pads or just replace with cheapy blanks for the track? Currently those are Raybesto heavy duty rotors. I want to compete in a street class series so Im a bit budget minded so I need rotors that will either last or cheap enough to toss and replace.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

That's the aforementioned pad smear. Not too bad yet though.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

I see, thanks.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 PM
jwp2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the exact same thing...went with 10s in the front and 8s in the back...single piece design Goodyear supercar gen 2 tires.

Here is the deal:

1. Love the carbotechs at the track...Very confident in dumping lots of speed into the corners...in fact the instructor with me even commented on how well they worked.
2. My brand new stock front rotors developed microcracks after about 2.5 days of track sessions...several guys told me carbotechs are known for eating rotors.
3. I have them on full time and they are noisy during regular street driving. I occasionally drive my car to work and the squeal is LOUD.

My solution...

1. Buying new front stock rotors today.
2. Looking to change to Hawk pads but not sure which ones. I may get a set of street pads for everyday use...and track ones for track sessions....really confusing on which ones I should go with since I only do HPDE events, but as you all know...the speeds do get pretty high out there with the Z06.

any feedback on which hawk pads for high performance everyday driving and separate track day pads would be helpful.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Try running the Carbotech street pad between track days.

I prefer Carbotech over Hawk. Beside the better performance on the track, they are more rotor friendly and the Hawk dust is corrosive.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The HP+ will outlast the Carbotechs XP10s but will not stop as well from high speeds. The XP10s can take a higher operating temp than the Pluses which are rated for 800 degrees. The HP+ were the cheapest pads I was able to run on my Z06 but after a half session of use the car wouldn't slow as well. Braking from 150 down to 80 going into one turn would get adventuresome after about 10 minutes of lapping. Pedal was hard but the brakes would lose their edge and stopping distance would increase by 50 ft or so. If you aren't pushing hard yet they may work well for you. I know one instructor who runs them on his Z06 with Hoosier A6 tires and he likes them due to the low cost.

Bill
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jwp2

My solution...

2. Looking to change to Hawk pads but not sure which ones. I may get a set of street pads for everyday use...and track ones for track sessions....really confusing on which ones I should go with since I only do HPDE events, but as you all know...the speeds do get pretty high out there with the Z06.

any feedback on which hawk pads for high performance everyday driving and separate track day pads would be helpful.
Be careful swapping brands of pads between street and track. I have been told that if you do not swap rotors, the pad material (say Hawk and Carbotech in this case) may not be compatible and the old pad transfer layer may need to be removed before the newly installed pads are bedded in again. I was told by Carbotech that if you stay with the same brand, no re-bedding is necessary when swapping between street and track pads.

Another solution (the one I chose) is to run separate pads AND rotors. That way the transfer layer of track pad on the track rotors is always there and re-bedding isn't necessary.

I haven't proved either of these theories on the track, but they both make sense to me.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by taken19
Be careful swapping brands of pads between street and track. I have been told that if you do not swap rotors, the pad material (say Hawk and Carbotech in this case) may not be compatible and the old pad transfer layer may need to be removed before the newly installed pads are bedded in again. I was told by Carbotech that if you stay with the same brand, no re-bedding is necessary when swapping between street and track pads.

Another solution (the one I chose) is to run separate pads AND rotors. That way the transfer layer of track pad on the track rotors is always there and re-bedding isn't necessary.

I haven't proved either of these theories on the track, but they both make sense to me.
New pads will transfer material to the rotors during the initial bedding process. So mixing different brands of pads on the same rotors will require a repeat bedding process.

Like the CarboTech pads, different Hawk pad types can be used on the same rotors. Some people will drive to an event on a street pad, change to a performance pad for track use and change back to the street-type pad at the end of the day.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Yes, they have to be rebedded but that takes less time than you spend in one normal track session. Start out easy and use a half session to rebed the brakes. You would do the same if you had to change rotors during the day.

Bill
Old 11-17-2012, 04:30 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

You could pretty much bed the brakes in the first warmup lap couldn't you? Never seemed much of a concern to me?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by jwp2
I did the exact same thing...went with 10s in the front and 8s in the back...single piece design Goodyear supercar gen 2 tires.

Here is the deal:

1. Love the carbotechs at the track...Very confident in dumping lots of speed into the corners...in fact the instructor with me even commented on how well they worked.
2. My brand new stock front rotors developed microcracks after about 2.5 days of track sessions...several guys told me carbotechs are known for eating rotors.
3. I have them on full time and they are noisy during regular street driving. I occasionally drive my car to work and the squeal is LOUD.

My solution...

You can use the 1521 for street and swap back to XP series for track day with no maitnence. All Carbotech compounds are compatiable with each other. If you would like to go that route give me a call.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad for Street Tire Class HPDE

Quick Reply: Brake Pad for Street Tire Class HPDE