Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness install tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM
v03z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harness install tips?

Hey guys..looking for any write-ups/instructions for install of harnesses. I'm about to order mine for my brey&krause hardbar and can't find any write ups for c5s .

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 PM
seebobgo
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in the same bucket. I've been hawking "vetteworks" but will keep an eye on this thred.
_Bob
Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Follow the harness manufacturers instructions.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. What questions do you have? Do you have stock seats?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a good video explaining how to wrap your harnesses.

I hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcN-JAMw3c
Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 AM
v03z06
Pro

Originally Posted by brkntrxn

Sorry, couldn't help myself. What questions do you have? Do you have stock seats?

No, I have recaros. Haven't received my harnesses yet so I do not have instructions. I was just curious especially because every vehicle is different
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 AM
v03z06
Pro

Originally Posted by skxf430
Here is a good video explaining how to wrap your harnesses.

I hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcN-JAMw3c
Nice! Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 AM
braknl8
Racer

Originally Posted by v03z06
Nice! Thanks
I just installed two sparco's using hardbar/vetteworks/g-force pieces. I was thrashing to get ready for cmp so didn't document very well but can answer any specifics you may have.

If you are doing passenger as well plan for the yaw sensor either by raising the pass mount or plan to pull carpet to re-locate yaw sensor on new seat rails.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by braknl8
If you are doing passenger as well plan for the yaw sensor either by raising the pass mount or plan to pull carpet to re-locate yaw sensor on new seat rails.

I put large washers under the front two seat mounts on the passenger side to raise it enough to clear the sensor. That was with a Sparco base on a Sparco Evo2 seat. On Morris' car, he used Hardbar rails on both sides and we had to relocate the sensor to the bottom of the seat rail. Later, when he pulled the seat out, he had to re-glue the sensor back to the floor.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by v03z06
No, I have recaros. Haven't received my harnesses yet so I do not have instructions. I was just curious especially because every vehicle is different

The video gives some great hints and how-to on the wrapping. Post up other questions if you have them when the time comes during install and I am certain someone can give you some hints. There isn't much to it after you do it a time or two.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn

The installation instructions for most manufacturers are pretty much the same and are available on line. Schroth are the most detailed. They are guidelines that shouldn't be violated and cover how to wrap the harness around a bar so it will not come loose (not obvious), what angle the lap belts have to be and what angle the shoulder belts have to be (not too high and not too low). You will not find anything specific to a Corvette.

Bill
Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM
v03z06
Pro

thanks to all. some really good info here and i appreciate the help!!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM
JackBFL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget lap and the sub belts! Those are going to be either bolted to the forward/rear seat mounts, or through bolted in the floor.

I never trusted the little seat bolts, and my lap and sub belts are mounted through the floor with progressively strong/ wider backing washers that will never rip out.

http://www.fishme.com/vettez06.htm

Jack
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 PM
v03z06
Pro

Originally Posted by JackBFL
Don't forget lap and the sub belts! Those are going to be either bolted to the forward/rear seat mounts, or through bolted in the floor.

I never trusted the little seat bolts, and my lap and sub belts are mounted through the floor with progressively strong/ wider backing washers that will never rip out.

http://www.fishme.com/vettez06.htm

Jack
Wow that was the exact question I was about to post. I was extremely curious about the mounting location for the lap belts. thanks!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
JackBFL
Advanced

Any questions, please call me via my website info sir.

Jack
Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM
v03z06
Pro

Originally Posted by JackBFL
Any questions, please call me via my website info sir.

Jack
Thank you, i really appreciate it. Did you happen to have a pic of where you mounted the lap belts on the floor?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM
JackBFL
Advanced

No sir, however I can easily walk you through the installation process if you want me to. Just give me a shout on the home phone in the very early evening, and it will be an easy explanation.

Jack 305-664-2456
Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You had better have some huge f'ing washers. The floor is wood and thin plastic. In a crash, you can generate well over a ton (literally) of stress on those sub belts. I wouldn't trust anything other than some steel channel that ties into the frame and the trans tunnel. The seat stud/strap setups were not engineered to handle this load and it is questionable if any of the aftermarket seat mounts are able to either.

Get notified of new replies

To Harness install tips?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM
JackBFL
Advanced

"The floor is wood and thin plastic."

It's actually a layer of fiberglass, balsa wood, and aluminum. With the proper through bolts and progressive washers as a huge backing plate, it will withstand a massive head on hit.

I trust my thick through bolts and backing washers far more than the wimpy stock OEM 3 point seat bolts in my Corvette Z06.

Jack
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

FRP = fiberglass reinforced plastic
The plastic floor is reinforced with chop mat fiberglass, which isn't exactly strong.
Let me know where you found aluminum in the floor - I had a broken rotor put a hole in my floor and there isn't any metal to be found.

You are braver than I am.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

I would like to see the size of those washers you say you trust under the flimsy floor.

To the OP, I installed eye bolts just inside the rear seat studs and through the OEM metal cross strap for the lap belts. On the underside of the strap, I cut a 2"x3" rectangle of steel plate to fit in the OEM metal strap to help reinforce it a bit. For the sub belt, I installed eye bolts on a cross bar on my seat rails.

But, Ben is correct in that a custom cross beam piece of metal would be at superior to the thin metal the factory outs down for the seat studs.

Quick Reply: Harness install tips?