Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street/HPDE wheel recommendation

Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Default Street/HPDE wheel recommendation

Over the winter I'm planning on making some changes to my car to get it ready for HPDE. One area I need to address is wheels and tires.

The car currently has CCW SP500s which were on the car when I bought it. They're obviously well-made, but to me they're mostly bling and not very practical as track wheels. Besides, I'm sick of cleaning them.

I can probably sell them for enough to make a new set of wheels and tires pretty painless. Everyone seems to like them and just today a guy at my credit union offered to buy them when I was in line at the ATM.

I plan on running 6-8 HPDE events a year in a car that will be driven on the street as well as the track. I plan on running street tires at least the first year if not longer.

It's a two-part question:

1) What is a good value in a new or readily available used wheel?

2) What size & width should I get? I want a wheel that can put a decent amount of rubber under my car, but at the same time isn't in some odd size that is hard to find tires for. Some day scrubs might be an option for me and I want a wheel that will accept sizes that are likely to be available.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
red1vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The answer to every "Which wheel..." thread in this forum is the same. Get a set of four C5Z06 rear wheels. They're strong, relatively inexpensive, and pretty easy to find. You can usually find them used for $600-700 or brand new from House of Wheels for $1000.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 AM
dreamscometrue
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Also check out TSW wheels, you can get them in 18" and 10.5 widths. They are strong wheels in the $1000 range and will clear big brakes if you ever go down that road.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamscometrue
Also check out TSW wheels, you can get them in 18" and 10.5 widths. They are strong wheels in the $1000 range and will clear big brakes if you ever go down that road.
...until they break.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:04 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by GreekPT
...until they break.
Please expand on this. I've only read of one or two cases of TSW wheel failures on the track ( don't care about bent wheels on the street). Can you provide specific data points, or is this only your opinion?

Last edited by taken19; 11-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Street/HPDE wheel recommendation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street/HPDE wheel recommendation