Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on track wheels w/o TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default advice on track wheels w/o TPMS

Need some advice from the gallery.

I'm tracking my GS in a couple weeks. My friend is loaning me a set of NT05's to try out while he is trying his new R6's.
The wheels have '09 TPMS's in them and I understand they will not mate up with my '10. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What is my best option?
Pull the AH fuse and go without AH entirely or
Run with AH and wait for the system to sense to loss of the TPMS?
Is the system pretty accurate about the timing of the "failure"? 30min? 20min?

I think I understand that I lose ABS as well as AH when I pull the fuse,,, correct? Is that really a big deal? I'll be doing NO trail braking and these NT05's should stick well enough to minimize the possiblity of locking them up. (I have Hawk HP+ pads, so it is possible but it isn't like I'm running full race pads)

I've seen the vid where AH took one of our fellow members into the grass

This is not my first HPDE. I'm not a noob but I am a novice (good enough to prolly run with the intermiediate this time with my instructor).
I'm a little apprehensive about having the system grab one of my wheels at 135 on the back stretch.

I'm thinking I would rather be a bit more careful throughout the session and go without the AH. (It may be a little early in my learning curve, but, isn't our goal to drive these babies without the help of AH anyway?)

This is a one weekend solution. If he likes his slicks and I like the NT's I'll buy them and put the proper TPMS in them for the long term.

Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

You probably do not want to pull the AH fuse because you will loose ABS so you might flat spot the tires. Best bet is pulling the steering wheel position sensor. Just follow the instructions in this thread and you should be good to go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-defeated.html
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Easiest thing to do is to take your regular wheels with you and place them around the car while it is parked in the Paddock or Garage. Doing that you will be able to drive the car for at least a half hour without the system knowing the wheels aren't mounted. I proved this to myself this last season when I had sensor issues with a sensor suddenly reading 0 psi while I was on track thus putting the car into a max 55 mph mode. To get to 55 from 120 the system would apply both front brakes and slow the car rapidly. This tended to excite me and people following cars who weren't expecting me to brake hard and in a place where braking isn't expected. I brought my street wheels to the track, trained the car to their sensors and placed them in front of the car. Left the race wheels and tires on the car. Car was happy the next three track days.

Bill
Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Bill, it sounds like you ran for several days this way, but I thought the sensors would go into a sleep mode if they sensed no motion? My understanding is that in sleep mode the sensors will ping hourly and thus the car's computer would not be refreshed before the 30 minute window, thus invoking limp mode.......is my understanding incorrect somehow? I'm thinking about C6Z........

If I am incorrect, please enlighten me, since this would open the door for me to understand how the pressure canister method would work.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:07 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been away to weekend track events many times without TPMS or my street tires. The reset button will clear the DIC warning. ABS keeps working.

The only "trick" that I found is needed on my '06 A6 is that in order to shut off AH/TC (all the nannies off except ABS) the console button needs to be held down thru the start-up cycle to activate the shut-off. After powering off you'll need to repeat this. Otherwise, the service warning prevents doing any more than TC off. Comp Mode and All Off will not be available to select.

--Dan
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just break down and buy a set of TMPS from the GM warehouse. Then get the Bartek tool to reset the computer and you will be all set with no worries. After spending all that money on tires and wheels, why not just get the TMPS sensors and do it right. This way you are SURE there will be no issues at 140mph.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Bill, it sounds like you ran for several days this way, but I thought the sensors would go into a sleep mode if they sensed no motion? My understanding is that in sleep mode the sensors will ping hourly and thus the car's computer would not be refreshed before the 30 minute window, thus invoking limp mode.......is my understanding incorrect somehow? I'm thinking about C6Z........

If I am incorrect, please enlighten me, since this would open the door for me to understand how the pressure canister method would work.
Yes, I ran that way for several days. First attempt to fix the problem was when I programmed my car to recognize the sensors of another Z06 parked in the garage next to me. I was able to run with no issues but I was lucky the other car was a half lap away from me during the sessions. Not sure what would have happened if he and I had been running near each other and my car was receiving the operational transmissions from his sensors and then got separated far enough the sensor transmissions weren't strong enough to be received. I suspected that would cause the system to show XXX for tire pressures and act just like it had when a single sensor had failed previously.

My car is an 08 but I am not sure how long it could have been driven before the system objected to the lack of sensor transmissions. Driving for a 30 to 40 minutes and parking the car for a couple of hours until my next session seemed to work for me.

Bill
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

If you run without sensors in your 2010 you'll have about 20 minutes of engine running/ignition on time before the TPMS will recognize it, and the AH will give you problems at that time.

Every time you shut down and restart the engine you'll have another 20 minutes.

So, shut down after driving from the paddock out to staging, and restart just before going out onto the track in order to have the full 20 minutes on the track before you have problems.

During that 20 minutes you'll be able to go into Comp or turn AH off completely, but at 20 minutes when the TPMS gives you a "Service Tire Monitor" message, the AH will automatically come back full on, and it will be in a very obnoxious mode where it is very intrusive and puts on brakes when you're turning, and won't allow any response to the throttle until you are almost perfectly straight with the steering wheel just about completely unwound.

2005-2006 model years have about 60 minutes, 2007-2008 have about 30 minutes, and 2009 and newer are about 20 minutes before having problems.

At least I think that's what you'll experience. Different model years act differently, so you'll have to give it a try to see what your car will actually do.

Bob
Old 11-29-2012, 01:53 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

All these "workarounds" either don't work for all model years or can fail due to different situations (20 minute sessions can stretch into 25 or 30 depending on number of run groups or a black flag during one session, etc). It's amazing that after all this time no one has figured how to bypass the #$%#$%$ tpms sensors and leave everything else available.......

Last edited by harrydirty; 11-29-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow this link

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-defeated.html
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Yup, seen this before, but what I wanted was to have Comp mode available without the hassle of resetting tpms sensors on my track tires. I've seen messages from others indicating I can do this by keeping street tires (with tpms sensors) nearby or with sensors in pressurized canisters, but am dubious due to my understanding that the sensors go into sleep mode w/o motion. They indicate that there is at least a 20-minute window available ('07 Z) but want to have Comp mode for longer sessions than that, hence my quest for a way to bypass tpms sensors but maintain Comp mode.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Yup, seen this before, but what I wanted was to have Comp mode available without the hassle of resetting tpms sensors on my track tires. I've seen messages from others indicating I can do this by keeping street tires (with tpms sensors) nearby or with sensors in pressurized canisters, but am dubious due to my understanding that the sensors go into sleep mode w/o motion. They indicate that there is at least a 20-minute window available ('07 Z) but want to have Comp mode for longer sessions than that, hence my quest for a way to bypass tpms sensors but maintain Comp mode.
As shown in the link you can disable AH and TC by pulling the connector on the steering sensor however that is more of a PIA than just moving some tires around and you don't have to worry about plugging the connector back together if you want AH and TC at some other time like driving in rain or on the street.

Bill
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

As mentioned before, Comp mode disables TC and AH is a much milder (less instrusive) form, which is what I want. I've been using it for my track days and it seems to be the right safety net for me w/o interfering with my driving needs. I may turn everything off eventually, but for now I'm still learning how to drive the C6Z on the track, hence the need for Comp mode. As I understand it, the only way to get Comp mode for greater than 20 minutes at a time on my '07 Z is to have tpms sensors in my track wheels.

Does someone have a way to have Comp mode (unlimited time window) w/o tpms sensors?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned before, Comp mode disables TC and AH is a much milder (less instrusive) form, which is what I want. I've been using it for my track days and it seems to be the right safety net for me w/o interfering with my driving needs. I may turn everything off eventually, but for now I'm still learning how to drive the C6Z on the track, hence the need for Comp mode. As I understand it, the only way to get Comp mode for greater than 20 minutes at a time on my '07 Z is to have tpms sensors in my track wheels.

Does someone have a way to have Comp mode (unlimited time window) w/o tpms sensors?
.... I have researched this long and hard for my 2007 Z06. The last "fix" with removing the steering sensor which I will try next season and will ditch my on-board pressure canister (this works for me as well). In a racing enviorment I want TOTAL control of the car and not some computer. If your doing HPDE stuff it one thing but I think the driver should have final say on how the car reacts to the track enviroments..... Try the caniser option see if it works for you as it's alot easier that toting extra tires/wheels around to the track..... just my .02

G

Get notified of new replies

To advice on track wheels w/o TPMS

Quick Reply: advice on track wheels w/o TPMS