Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB : RollBar for C5 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 AM
BossV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB : RollBar for C5 convertible

I am looking for a RollBar for my C5 Corvette. I have Corbeau A4s on the car.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Angelwings Tech makes a bolt-in "track day bar" for C5 convertibles that does not affect the operation of the top. I have one in my '01 convertible.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:30 AM
BossV8
Racer

I think I have seen your product.

I just am not sure about how it will protect me if the car goes on it's top. How is it connected to the frame?

And, will there be enough clearance for A4s Corbeau?

Any detail pic of the fitting would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
boltvette
Racer

They're called Track Day Bars because that is their specific purpose. Not designed for SCCA, NASA or other competitive event use. Those guys aren't (or probably shouldn't) be running convertibles. I've run with it at 6 tracks and they've been approved for use at several more and are accepted by a number of track day organizers. I wouldn't use it if I didn't feel completely safe.

The TDB is made of 1-1/2" dia., 0.12" DOM mild steel, all TIG welded. The tubing is welded to 3/16" steel base plates that fill the rear 6" of the wells under the seats. They are attached to the rear seat mount studs using stainless sleeve nuts and to the frame with a 3/8" bolt and threadsert on both sides.

We have not installed one with Corbeaus, so really can't answer that. Because the seat rails sit on top of the baseplates, it will raise the back of the seat up as much as 3/4". The biggest concern is with leg room and head clearance. If you are over 5'-10", it will depend upon your proportions and seat position preference. If you are over 6' tall, you probably won't have enough leg room or you won't meet the broomstick test. Once it is installed (in less than 2 hours), it can be removed in 15 minutes and reinstalled in another 15. No carpet cutting, welding or permanent damage done. Once it's out, you would never know that it had been installed.

PM me your email address and I'll send you photos.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 PM
BossV8
Racer

Well, I am a little bit under 6' (181 cm) but not with long legs. My helmet is slightly touching the soft top sometimes during my sessions.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
boltvette
Racer

Sounds like it will come down to how low you sit with the Corbeaus. We made the TDB to sit as high as possible without interfering with the top operation. If you're touching the top, you might be a bit too tall. As I mentioned, the TDB base plates will raise the back of the seat.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 AM
BossV8
Racer

Yes. Like I said. There is actually very little room left for my head. this is because of the Corbeau. I did not take the option on the mounting to have them lower. I have to check if there is anything to gain there.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

It ties into the seat mounts and where else?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
Sounds like it will come down to how low you sit with the Corbeaus. We made the TDB to sit as high as possible without interfering with the top operation. If you're touching the top, you might be a bit too tall. As I mentioned, the TDB base plates will raise the back of the seat.
fit under the broom stick rule many tracks and the SCCA uses ?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM
boltvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Jason
It ties into the seat mounts and where else?
It also bolts to the frame on both sides.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

It also bolts to the frame on both sides.
Where? in the back? along the b-pillar? in the footwell? along the sill?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM
boltvette
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If you are 5'-10" or shorter, the broom stick test should not be an issue. I'm 5'-9" and it works perfectly for me. Over 5'-10" and it will depend upon your proportions, personal driving position and how tall your seat sits. My business partner is 6' tall and it's snug, but it works for him. If you are over 6' tall, it probably won't work. We designed them to sit as high as possible without interfering with the operation of the top.

I've run at Spring Mountain, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Streets of Willow, Auto Club Speedway and Chuckwalla Valley. They've been approved for use at Motorsports Park Hastings, MidAmerica Motorplex, Nelson Ledges, Hallett, Blackhawk Farms and others. Speed Ventures, Extreme Speed Track Events, Star Car Sports and 10/10ths Motorsports have also signed off on them for their events.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I'm 6' tall, had Corbeuas that touched the floor with pads pulled out, and my rollbar that allowed my top to function would never pass a broomstick test with me and a helmet. Not even close.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM
BossV8
Racer

I don't compete. It is a regular track days car.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BossV8
I don't compete. It is a regular track days car.
No it isn't ... it is a convertible!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

and still need a roll bar that fits the broom stick rule.

and being a vert, OPEN COCKPIT, you may need arm restraints too.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are 5'-10" or shorter, the broom stick test should not be an issue. I'm 5'-9" and it works perfectly for me. Over 5'-10" and it will depend upon your proportions, personal driving position and how tall your seat sits. My business partner is 6' tall and it's snug, but it works for him. If you are over 6' tall, it probably won't work. We designed them to sit as high as possible without interfering with the operation of the top.

I've run at Spring Mountain, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Streets of Willow, Auto Club Speedway and Chuckwalla Valley. They've been approved for use at Motorsports Park Hastings, MidAmerica Motorplex, Nelson Ledges, Hallett, Blackhawk Farms and others. Speed Ventures, Extreme Speed Track Events, Star Car Sports and 10/10ths Motorsports have also signed off on them for their events.
Does not matter if you have run the Indy 500 ... either it passes the standard test or it does not ... I do not believe it does for regular folks. Has it ever been checked? How about a picture?

Additionally, it is a token IMO if it is secured with a few bolts ... sort of like the hoop roll bars in some of the sport cars ... look cool and totally useless if it ever is really needed.

Tom is correct ... you also need arm restraints and a 5 pt. harness, minimum, which opens up another can of worms for you.

Last edited by rbl; 12-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB : RollBar for C5 convertible

Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM
boltvette
Racer

I don't have a photo with an actual broom stick or other straightedge, but I have passed the test a number of times. I'll have one taken the next time I go through tech. I've attached a photo of as close to a straight side view that I have. You can see that the top of my helmet is well below that imaginary line.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...cjmSM2001c.jpg

The baseplates rest on the heavy metal lip that runs along the frame, behind the seats and along the console. We use stainless steel sleeve nuts to attach them to the rear seat mounting studs. They sleeve the entire length of the studs. The baseplates have an "ear" that turns upward 90 degrees. It is the ear that bolts to the frame just behind the seats. I've attached a photo of the C6 version. The C5 Track Day Bar is similar, but the smaller waterfall between the seats allowed us to cross the inside vertical members.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/...ch/C5C6tdb.jpg

I've begun using a 6-point harness with Angel Pads, arm restraints and a Hans device. I run in high intermediate groups - not interested in being the fastest one on the track. But with the top down, I bet I have the biggest grin on my face. And unlike the Z06 owners, I can also do parades or just cruise with the top down. This is after all, my every day car.

Send me a PM if you would like additional photos or details.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 AM
BossV8
Racer

How many cm of backward travel does the seat loose with your system?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM
boltvette
Racer

Originally Posted by BossV8
How many cm of backward travel does the seat loose with your system?
6 cm (2.3 inches). Because the bars turn to near vertical about half way up their rise, the farther back the seat is placed, the more vertical the seat back becomes. If you look at the photo in the previous post, you will see what I mean.

Quick Reply: WTB : RollBar for C5 convertible