Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler for daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:48 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler for daily driver

I hit 290 oil temps at my last HPDE which is getting in to the danger zone. I don't have a dry sump. I've read around on the importance of a dedicated oil cooler, especially for someone like me in TX where it gets hot. Coolant temps stayed reasonable as the tracks here allow me to carry enough speed so not as concerned with an aftermarket radiator right now.

This is my daily driver. Is the oil going to be TOO cool for daily driving with a dedicated oil cooler? Trying to find a happy medium for oil temps between track and street.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i am going through the process of piecing one together now. The DRM street version has a ton of good reviews. I plan to attend more HPDEs so i decided to get the track cooler (setrab 625) and the mocal thermostat oil block. That will bypass the cooler when the temps are lower on the street.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:57 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

For that temp & scenario IMO a built in OC is a lot easier & will get the job done. If you have a stock rad it's time is limited anyway. They gradually clog up & really you can't clean them, you can get the surface crap off but there will be embedded sand, etc that doesn't come out without bending fins.

Put a RD or DW rad in with built in OC. No street issues. Warms oil up, cools oil down.

If you are going to make the car a track beast then go straight to external.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
I hit 290 oil temps at my last HPDE which is getting in to the danger zone. I don't have a dry sump. I've read around on the importance of a dedicated oil cooler, especially for someone like me in TX where it gets hot. Coolant temps stayed reasonable as the tracks here allow me to carry enough speed so not as concerned with an aftermarket radiator right now.

This is my daily driver. Is the oil going to be TOO cool for daily driving with a dedicated oil cooler? Trying to find a happy medium for oil temps between track and street.
not in Dallas it won't although a Z06 cooler & lines or most any one else will run ~ $800 and a dewitts with lines about $900
so a Dewitts is a good choice and he is running a GP discount sale now
Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

It is 90% street car and 10% track car. So I'm guessing that means Radiator with built in oil cooler is probably the way to go. I'll check out Dewitts and Ron Davis and see what they say.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is the Ron Davis with line kit package. This kit has been extremely popular over the years!!!

http://dougrippie.com/products/ron-d...-and-line-kit/

Randy
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Here is the Ron Davis with line kit package. This kit has been extremely popular over the years!!!

Randy

That's what I have and I'm very happy. Works very well for a car that does both street and track duty.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Before getting a coolant rad with built in OC be sure to check the school of thought that air to liquid small dedicated cooler is better. Air/Oil works well here in the hot and humid southeast even with large engine mods.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Randy
Randy that link shows it is for a c4. Would this fit a 2012 grand sport a6 or do I need a different model?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Mark,
I too have been contemplating adding an EOC for my GS ('12 and A-6), I'm looking at
an external Z06 external oil cooler and a thermostat set for 200 degrees. I've read other reports where the oil temps remain too low for normal street driving.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

The other idea I like about the Z06 cooler is it should be a direct bolt in, no modifications necessary.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Randy that link shows it is for a c4. Would this fit a 2012 grand sport a6 or do I need a different model?
Sorry that one is for the C5.

C6 cars have about 5 different versions of coolers. I really like people to look under the hood and tell me exactly what they have. Then we make it happen

Check the left hand side for EOC (Engine oil cooler)
Check the right hand side for DOC (Drive line cooler)

Thanks
Randy
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

My thoughts are do seperate and just tape them up when not tracking. Read the other thread about EOC's. Most said they dont cool enough. My car is street/track too. I went with the larger Davis cooler and I still hit 260 oil at Sebring.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:20 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
My thoughts are do seperate and just tape them up when not tracking. Read the other thread about EOC's. Most said they dont cool enough. My car is street/track too. I went with the larger Davis cooler and I still hit 260 oil at Sebring.
I know everyone has their own temp limits. But 260 isn't that hot in my book!!!

Randy
Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Randy

How cold do you want oil?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:07 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Randy
I could live with 260. My oil hits 225+ on a hot summer day in Texas just driving around town.

I'm a bit torn because the local shop I use (who is also a forum vendor) is suggesting to get a dedicated oil cooler vs. the Ron Davis route. However, the latter seems like it will let the oil run closer to its ideal temp on the street (where my car is used 90% of the time) and keep it to a reasonable (260 degrees + or -) temperature on the track. I also get a better radiator if I get the Ron Davis.

Decisions, Decisions....
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Randy
I agree, but I don't want it running any hotter. An EOC would not cool as effectively was my point.

Get notified of new replies

To oil cooler for daily driver

Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
The other idea I like about the Z06 cooler is it should be a direct bolt in, no modifications necessary.
Far superior to the stock C6Z unit but is a direct bolt in part:

http://store.finspeed.com/C6-Z06-Oil...X-28426-01.htm
Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
They gradually clog up & really you can't clean them, you can get the surface crap off but there will be embedded sand, etc that doesn't come out without bending fins.
My 08 was getting warmer & warmer on hot AutoX days. I built a tool (that I saw on here) to rinse the radiator and it dislodged lots of filth & muck. Temps & cooling rate returned to as-new.

If interested, I'll post a pic.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Depends on how you want to get there.

Your car is an auto, correct???

Being you have a GS car, and water temps for the time being are fine if you wanted to do an easy cooler upgrade a Z06 unit would plug right in. That would also take some load off of the radiator because if it is an auto car you are going to be fitting tranny temps next.

We offer upgraded radiators with the oil cooler build into them, and I can do a stand alone oil cooler as well. Or, as I have done in an number of track cars in the past, ran a external oil cooler in line with the one in the radiator to keep temps stable and also speed up warm up on cold days.

Quick Reply: oil cooler for daily driver