Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 piece rotors, your suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Default 2 piece rotors, your suggestions

I will be doing Hpde events only and autox for this season. Currently, I have racing brake 2 piece now both front and rear. I like them but wanted to see what others have and their thoughts about them. I seen DBA 2 piece ones but am not sure on the weight savings. The RB ones I have are 10 pounds lighter each for the front.

Any suggestions on replacements?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:06 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

AFX Performance, Bob is a great guy and the rotors work really well. Alot better setup than the RB stuff. Just my .02 JD
Old 12-23-2012, 06:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

if it's for DE, screw the weight savings. Go with something that will save money (either cheaper, or much longer lasting). Investing in your driving will net performance increase much more than a few ounces in your brake rotors.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I have the AFX rotors. Fronts haven't worked out well. They don't last any longer than the stock rotors and cost 2.5 times as much. However, the AFX rear rotors far outlast the the stock rotors while only costing 2 times as much. Good deal in the rear and bad deal in the front.

Bill
Old 12-23-2012, 09:55 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have the AFX rotors. Fronts haven't worked out well. They don't last any longer than the stock rotors and cost 2.5 times as much. However, the AFX rear rotors far outlast the the stock rotors while only costing 2 times as much. Good deal in the rear and bad deal in the front.

Bill
What Front rotors do you reccomend if running C6 Z06 front calipers on C5 at Road America?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the money you shell out on two piece rotors on all four corners, you may want to hold off, save up, and get a big brake kit. AP and Stoptech have great systems and pads are cheaper, you probably wont have to bleed brakes as much so you may come out ahead in the long run. Their rotors are also about $250 each compared with higher priced AFX rotors. If you are in it for the long haul, a BBK will eventually pay for itself. Just my .02 cents
Old 12-24-2012, 09:01 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
For the money you shell out on two piece rotors on all four corners, you may want to hold off, save up, and get a big brake kit. AP and Stoptech have great systems and pads are cheaper, you probably wont have to bleed brakes as much so you may come out ahead in the long run. Their rotors are also about $250 each compared with higher priced AFX rotors. If you are in it for the long haul, a BBK will eventually pay for itself. Just my .02 cents
I agree, that is the best advice! I have been running Stoptech's for 6 years and the rotors last well and pads are priced well. JD
Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JDIllon
I agree, that is the best advice! I have been running Stoptech's for 6 years and the rotors last well and pads are priced well. JD
I am having st60 installed up front next month and will run stock rear calipers. I am pumped.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I have come to the exact same conclusion...
Old 12-24-2012, 11:32 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am now a convert for the AP racing / Hardbar T1 2piece rotors with J hooks. These rotors have held up for 1 1/2 seasons for me (15+ DE days). I am going to need to order a new set for this season but they are amazing. The initial costs might "seem" high, but when you consider that you will get an entire season or more out of them, the consumable cost per event is really low, and you don't need to change multiple sets out throughout the year. The good news is going forward you only have to buy the replacement rings which are pretty cheap.

2 cents deposited.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM
blueekb
Advanced

I use DBA 5000 fronts and 4000 rears. Before stock rotors would only last me a few sessoins to maybe a whole weekend if I was lucky. I ran all of last year on one set of fronts about 10 weekends and they still have not cracked. They look really bad (heat checking) but no cracks. The rears lasted about 5 weekends before I cracked one.

I don't think there is any weight savings at all but they last a long time and I love not having to change rotors out at the track. Worth the money to me.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

I still say if you are going to buy 2 piece rotors on all for corners for over $1,000, you are about halfway to the cost of a full big brake kit up front such as stoptech or AP hardbar setup. Pads for those setups are typically cheaper than stock pads and much thicker, and don't require bleeding as often. Remove the emotion from the decision, do the math and figure how long to break even, then make a decision. 80% of braking is up front and plenty of guys stay with stock setup in the rear.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 piece rotors, your suggestions

Quick Reply: 2 piece rotors, your suggestions