Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Supression Systems

Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Fire Supression Systems

This is a feature article I did for Vintage Motorsport magazine a few months back. It deals with all the choices you have available when purchasing a fire suppression system.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

great article! I have never been able to nail anyone down on rules for good fire nozzle placement. Can you comment on best placement in the driver compartment and why? What about engine? Over fuel rail? over headers? Close to the fuel cell is good enough?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've seen systems with 8 nozzles. Each one carefully placed over a critical component. When it comes to the number of nozzles and their placement it's probably best to work with your supplier. The more nozzles you have the larger the bottles have to be. Or, you can have multiple bottles.

You want at least one nozzle on the driver and one in the engine compartment. From that point you're sort on your own. Some people even question the nozzle over the cell. They feel that if your 21-gallon fuel cell catches fire no system will be capable of stopping the fire. NASCAR on the other hand requires it. They also require a separate bottle for that location.

My only recommendation is the saying "attack the fire at it's source". What do you consider the most likely location for a fire?

Richard Newton

Get notified of new replies

To Fire Supression Systems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fire Supression Systems