Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to install Quantum Brake Cooling Kit But Not Sure If I Have Everything I Need

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Want to install Quantum Brake Cooling Kit But Not Sure If I Have Everything I Need

I purchased the quantum competition brake cooling kit some time ago but haven't gotten around to installing until this weekend. Looking at pictures online however I feel like I'm missing something.

When I look at this picture, the piece I'm missing is the black solid plastic duct. The Quantum website says the kit comes with everything necessary for installation but I don't quite see how it would install without that part there. Doing a quick search it looks like people are combining this kit with the DRM brake duct extensions. Can someone please provide some insight on what I actually need before I can proceed with the install.

If it turns out that the Quantum kit is incomplete I would also like to understand how they concluded it's ok to advertise this as a complete kit without any mention of the need for additional parts.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Jim_H
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning to install the Quantum kit too. I'm under the impression that you need to use the Z06 ducts, though I'm not 100% sure.

Lambert's sells a pair of these ducts modified to work with the kit for $60.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:54 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim_H
I'm planning to install the Quantum kit too. I'm under the impression that you need to use the Z06 ducts, though I'm not 100% sure.

Lambert's sells a pair of these ducts modified to work with the kit for $60.
Hmmm after doing some more digging it appears you are right. Although Lambert doesn't advertise the C6Z ducts as working on a C5, searching the forums has shown that they can be installed on a C5.

What's funny is the OEM C6Z ducts cost like 7 bux each. The modified C6Z ducts are 60 from Lambert and then the DRM ducts are 200. Corvette tax is a B!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there are many threads on this install with good pictures. do a search. I believe you need to buy the duct extensions. probably worth $60. if you start with stock they probably need so much work you run the risk of needing to get new ones to start over.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Get the modified C6Z ducts from Quantum. The stock ducts have a 2.5 inch outlet and the Quantum mod increases the size to 3 inches and provides a hose mounting surface so you don't have to stitch the hose to the stock duct. LG sells something similar for about $35 more. $60 is a good deal for taking two cheap parts and permanently adding 3 inches of aluminum tubing to each of them. The tubing alone is probably 15% of the cost.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-12-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Get the modified C6Z ducts from Quantum. The stock ducts have a 2.5 inch outlet and the Quantum mod increases the size to 3 inches and provides a hose mounting surface so you don't have to stitch the hose to the stock duct. LG sells something similar for about $35 more. $60 is a good deal for taking two cheap parts and permanently adding 3 inches of aluminum tubing to each of them. The tubing alone is probably 15% of the cost.

Bill
I have C-5 and bought John's high priced ducts. I am not sure of
the 15% But I believe this is the way to go to make a nice
cooling package. I tried to do it another way and it did not work
out as well as the C-6 ZO-6 plastic.
You could make the altered duct for less money but Quantum
makes it so easy.
Good luck, let us know how it all turned out.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
I have C-5 and bought John's high priced ducts. I am not sure of
the 15% But I believe this is the way to go to make a nice
cooling package. I tried to do it another way and it did not work
out as well as the C-6 ZO-6 plastic.
You could make the altered duct for less money but Quantum
makes it so easy.
Good luck, let us know how it all turned out.

I purchased the Quantum spindle ducts and then made some adapters that mount to the stock duct. Prior to making these I tried pop riviting the SCAT to the ducts...this worked for a while....but was not a very robust solution. This was a much better solution.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt

I purchased the Quantum spindle ducts and then made some adapters that mount to the stock duct. Prior to making these I tried pop riviting the SCAT to the ducts...this worked for a while....but was not a very robust solution. This was a much better solution.

Nice job!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Nice job!
Yes.. I like how it turned out.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
speedneed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by road pilot
Yes.. I like how it turned out.
How much hose did you need for each side?

Last edited by speedneed; 02-04-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if u use z06 ducts, quantum recommends that you trim the ducts to increase the air flow.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I used the DRM "black plastic" ducts with the Lambert spindle ducts and it works well. There are two keys to prevent rubbing. First is location of the black plastic duct. You want to get it just right so the tire doesn't rub on the duct during wheel lock (view photos of installs and some trial and error required - don't be afraid to drill 2ce if needed). Second is getting the hose length just right. If you're wheels are hanging, turn the wheel so that it is fully extended out and cut the hose to fit. That will minimize slack and bulge/rub when you turn the other way.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:31 AM
Sgt.Gator
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default My Solution

My solution is in this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...on-c6-z06.html
There's lots of ways to make them work, this just is what worked for me, and still does. No issues with them coming off.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to install Quantum Brake Cooling Kit But Not Sure If I Have Everything I Need

Quick Reply: Want to install Quantum Brake Cooling Kit But Not Sure If I Have Everything I Need