Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 brakes for a C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 88 Posts

Default ZR1 brakes for a C6 Z06

what are your thoughts or experiences with doing ZR1 brakes on a Z06.

Who sells these at a decent price.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Forum member RichieRichZ06 has helped some folks here get them: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...ierichz06.html

or you could try parts taxi - they have some of the lowest prices

another good option would be gm parts house

pricing is around 8k for everything usign the gray powdercoated calipers. The other colored calipers cost significantly more.
Personally Id buy the cheapest and then have them coated with zinc to look like brembos used on many of the GT1 cars (aside from look ing cool this also prevents the issues that powdercoated calipers face with changing colors after hard use ie red turning brown).

http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/12/..._gt1_r35_gt_r/

another image from jalopnik

I believe supervettes sells a kit with the calipers and iron rotors for 5k

Some go with iron rotors because the cost of replacing the carbon is so high. However the carbon rotors are supposed to have a longer lifespan.

Hawk makes pads for the ZR1/Z07 calipers that are made to work for people who convert to iron rotors

Hope this helps!

Last edited by el es tu; 01-16-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Racing calipers are usually hard anodized, which limits the colors and most are some shade of grey.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:25 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

the zinc coatings are limited to:
flat gold/bronze, chrome, black, and dark gray as above (my favorite )

images from http://www.racetechnologies.com/

Last edited by el es tu; 01-16-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

My point being that a zinc paint or coating is not going to hold up- hard anodization is an aluminum oxide layer that is a surface treatment- it's not going to come off and it's about the most durable finish you can do for an aluminum caliper- that's why it's used in a lot of military applications.

The ZR-1 brake setup will run a tad over $10k- for that kind of money, for track use, you might want to consider running an AP, Alcon or Brembo motorsport setup. The AP setup that Essex/Hardbar is selling looks like a very nice setup and is compatible with the Z06 rotors. It depends on why you're looking to upgrade.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 88 Posts

I hate the squeeking of my Race pads, and experencing fade at some tracks....
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM
cleanerPA
Instructor

Originally Posted by CanadianVetster
IMO, it sounds like you would be better served getting a proper big brake kit from the likes of AP/Alcon/Brembo, getting two sets of rotors and pads and running race pads/rotors at the track and street pads/rotors on the street.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Z06 prior to the ZR1, the brakes are worth every penny not just for the performance but safety too....no fade, no boiling brake fluid. My only gripe is the cost of front and rear pads are upwards of $800

I have 7,000 track miles on mine now and rotors are showing virtually no sign of wear. (4 sets of pads though)

Pads are easy to change but you won't have connections for electronic wear sensors so keep a close eye on pad wear. One rotor is upwards of $1,200 and there is NO turning or machining them

One other thing to consider is that unless you run a Sport Cup or R compound tire, the brakes far exceed the traction of the tires so the investment wouldn't be worth it without a tire upgrade.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Like el es tu says, around $8,000 for the brake setup from a forum vendor like RichieRichZ06.

Do you have wheels that will fit over them, like the ZR1 19/20 inch wheels??

If not, you'll spend another couple grand on wheels, and maybe that much on tires.

So.....$8,000 if you have wheels and suitable tires (like isnider mentioned).

Or.....more like $12,000 plus if you also need wheels and tires.

Butt....they are fantastic brakes!!!

Bob
Old 01-17-2013, 01:52 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Do the carbon brake not fade at all on track? What are they like under spirited road driving? Do they offer as much feel as iron rotors?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

My take on this issue:
The carbon-ceramic rotors supposedly last the lifetime of the car unless the car is tracked. When you track it, the carbon-ceramic rotors inevitably overheat (even though they don't fade), causing evaporation, which weakens the rotor, so you end up having to replace rotors once every few pad changes, not to mention increased damage to wheel hubs, etc. due to excessive heat. Considering the cost of $1250 PER rotor, this is no trivial service. In short, it is not cost effective at all. Where they shine, in my opinion, is that they can be used in stock form both at the track and the street without having to suffer from noisy race brakes :-)

Decent racing pads on C6Z06 brakes provide the similar stopping power. Coleman 2-piece rotors save 30 lbs of un-sprung weight overall, making the overall system substantially lighter than even ZR1's. The Coleman replacement rings sell for about $300, so it is much cheaper to replace, too.

BBKs are usually better constructed than the stock calipers, and provide space for much thicker pads, which makes them even cheaper to use than the stock brakes in the long run, while providing better brake feel than stock brakes due to less flex under stress.

My recommendation: I'd stick to OEM calipers and use lightweight 2-piece rotors with decent, rotor friendly pads like Raybestos ST47/ST43.

Last edited by X25; 01-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
My take on this issue:
The carbon-ceramic rotors supposedly last the lifetime of the car unless the car is tracked. When you track it, the carbon-ceramic rotors inevitably overheat (even though they don't fade), causing evaporation, which weakens the rotor, so you end up having to replace rotors once every few pad changes, not to mention increased damage to wheel hubs, etc. due to excessive heat. Considering the cost of $1250 PER rotor, this is no trivial service. In short, it is not cost effective at all. Where they shine, in my opinion, is that they can be used in stock form both at the track and the street without having to suffer from noisy race brakes :-)

Decent racing pads on C6Z06 brakes provide the similar stopping power. Coleman 2-piece rotors save 30 lbs of un-sprung weight overall, making the overall system substantially lighter than even ZR1's. The Coleman replacement rings sell for about $300, so it is much cheaper to replace, too.

BBKs are usually better constructed than the stock calipers, and provide space for much thicker pads, which makes them even cheaper to use than the stock brakes in the long run, while providing better brake feel than stock brakes due to less flex under stress.

My recommendation: I'd stick to OEM calipers and use lightweight 2-piece rotors with decent, rotor friendly pads like Raybestos ST47/ST43.
You are incorrect about the heat problem, the carbon ceramic rotors do not hold heat like iron does and why there is no fade. Also not necessary to run $75 brake fluid or constant brake bleeding, not using parking brake, doing a cool down lap. The truth is they cool down nearly as quick as they heat up. The only downside is cost, other than that they are better in every way.

Ian
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Last a life time? No just ask Ferrari Challenge owners with CarbonCeramic race rotors.

about 1/2 a season or 6 race weekends, if that.

doing HPDEs or track days is different.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Andrew. I know you have those ZR1 wheels for the street, but are you planning on buying anothe set for the track?
I'd have to agree with several of the posts above since I know you'll be at the track alot. Upgrade to a BBK because you'll have more options for track wheels and overall it will end up costing you thousands less.

Here is a link to a thread with sub links about the whole ZR1 brakes on a Z06.

Greg

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...on-my-z06.html
Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CanadianVetster
If you havent gotten one yet, you might want to buy a proper brake duct setup and good brake fluid (that you change out regularly). As the others have mentioned, well ventilated floating rotors and separate street/track pads would also benefit you. This is the cheapest way to go in order to get quiet braking on the street and reduced fade at the track. Also you may want to look up the maximum temperature limits of the pads you are running - some street/track pads overheat much faster than track only pads.

If you can afford the ZR1 brakes and afford the rotor replacements then it would be a quiet option with better track reliability than stock. However its important to keep in mind that the ZR1 brakes are still street brakes and will have the issues that require more servicing when run hard.

As far as the noise goes - how long have you been running racing pads on the street? IMO after a while youll get used to the brake squeal - it tells you the brakes are working
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

What race pad are you using now?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by isnider
.....Also not necessary to run $75 brake fluid or constant brake bleeding.....

Ian
Hi Ian

IMHO, you'll need to flush a good high temp racing brake fluid into you brake system if you'll be running the carbon ceramic brakes on the track.

You don't necessarily need Castrol SRF, but you'd better put something like Motul RBF 600 or such in there or you're going to have problems.

My ZR1 only sees the street, but there was a ZR1 parked next to my C6 Z06 (with stock brakes) in the garages at an event at Daytona a little more than a year ago.

I came in from a session and saw he was packing up to leave. I asked what the problem was, and he said his brake pedal was going to the floor - classic indication of fluid boiling. I asked what fluid he was running and he said it was the stock DOT 3 stuff.

So....I'd recommend a good DOT 4 racing fluid - those carbon ceramic rotors get hot and will heat up the calipers just like cast iron rotors do. And take care of your fluid by flushing/bleeding just as you would with a regular brake system.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-17-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 brakes for a C6 Z06

Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
If you havent gotten one yet, you might want to buy a proper brake duct setup and good brake fluid (that you change out regularly). As the others have mentioned, well ventilated floating rotors and separate street/track pads would also benefit you. This is the cheapest way to go in order to get quiet braking on the street and reduced fade at the track. Also you may want to look up the maximum temperature limits of the pads you are running - some street/track pads overheat much faster than track only pads.

If you can afford the ZR1 brakes and afford the rotor replacements then it would be a quiet option with better track reliability than stock. However its important to keep in mind that the ZR1 brakes are still street brakes and will have the issues that require more servicing when run hard.

As far as the noise goes - how long have you been running racing pads on the street? IMO after a while youll get used to the brake squeal - it tells you the brakes are working

AP racing 6 pot calipers

http://www.apracing.com/products/rac.../gt_range.aspx

AP Racing Ferrari 355 1994on Big Brake Kit 6 Pot ~
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/ap-r...-p-252584.html

2400 Pound Sterling for the front pair
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

what would be the point of running ZR1 calipers with Iron discs?????????? The entire point is the weight and heat capacity of the ceramic??!!

I'd never suggest spending the money for an Ceramic kit unless you just want the eye candy....Stoptech (and others) offer amazing brake kits at a fraction of the cost if you want a performance upgrade
Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
what would be the point of running ZR1 calipers with Iron discs?????????? The entire point is the weight and heat capacity of the ceramic??!!

I'd never suggest spending the money for an Ceramic kit unless you just want the eye candy....Stoptech (and others) offer amazing brake kits at a fraction of the cost if you want a performance upgrade
Theyd get something along the lines of the Brembo GT kit.

Yep Stop tech's trophy kit is right there in pricing with the ZR1 brakes
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/product...oducts_id=2097

For that kind of money Id just get gary from hardbar to set up something like everett has on his mosler
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-project.html

Last edited by el es tu; 01-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: ZR1 brakes for a C6 Z06