Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Rare Breed
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie needs help

so iam tired of dreaming of racing and want to try it ... i picked up a 2001 z06 all stock ... slightly abused ... and with someones idea of cool rims ( 20's) ...so my current list of what to do is

1. buy stock z06 wheels with good year f1 tires .... i think i am picking those up tom. and closed a deal for $750 tires still good rims near perfect ...

2. order and install cage

3. look into affordable race suit/ clothing

now the rest is what i need answered by guys who have already been there and done that so i dont waste my time and $ i already dont have to try and make this happen ... so where do i start ? what class is the easiest to qualify for from stock and i can plan on looking into more advanced classes after i get better ( if that happens lol!) ... so what class do i want ? T1 ? ITE ? what fire rating do the clothes i look into need to have ? what else will i need to do ? i guess im looking for the idiots check list ... ive put in calls and emails to SCCA and others and just waiting on emails etc ... but figured i could get a lot of useful info here from you guys / vterans as well ... hope no one minds or finds me a pain in the A$% asking old and possibly to you all / dumb questions ... please just bare with me and help me ... i will try to learn fast and not ask too many dumb questions ...
Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Have you read the sticky C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned! at the top of Autocrossing & Roadracing? It's loaded with info.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Rare Breed
so iam tired of dreaming of racing and want to try it ... i picked up a 2001 z06 all stock ... slightly abused ... and with someones idea of cool rims ( 20's) ...so my current list of what to do is

1. buy stock z06 wheels with good year f1 tires .... i think i am picking those up tom. and closed a deal for $750 tires still good rims near perfect ...

now the rest is what i need answered by guys who have already been there and done that so i dont waste my time and $ i already dont have to try and make this happen ... so where do i start ? what class is the easiest to qualify for from stock and i can plan on looking into more advanced classes after i get better ( if that happens lol!) ... so what class do i want ? T1 ? ITE ? what fire rating do the clothes i look into need to have ? what else will i need to do ? i guess im looking for the idiots check list ... ive put in calls and emails to SCCA and others and just waiting on emails etc ... but figured i could get a lot of useful info here from you guys / vterans as well ... hope no one minds or finds me a pain in the A$% asking old and possibly to you all / dumb questions ... please just bare with me and help me ... i will try to learn fast and not ask too many dumb questions ...
Originally Posted by jcsperson
Have you read the sticky C5 Track Car \ HPDE Conversion: What I have learned! at the top of Autocrossing & Roadracing? It's loaded with info.
Very good advice above. However, what is your experience at this time? Do you have any high performance driving experience on a track? Have you attended any Racing School (not an HPDE but a racing school)? It is very rare a person with no experience can go from driving on the street to being anything but a rolling road block to all the other cars on the track. Spirited driving on the street doesn't even come close to what you will be doing on the track.

Bill
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Where do you live? HPDE's are cheap to start and get some track time in your own car. Even autoX to start is good.

Brakes and Engine cooling need attention.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rare Breed

Not sure I would buy OEM wheels. See if you can run street tires on the 20s and run some HPDE before you just start racing. If you decide this is for you and your car will be track only, go for 18 inch wheels all the way around from someone like CCW. No point in buying OEM wheels since they are not what you will want for the track.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Let us know where you are located and we can put you in contact with someone local who can help.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

If you change your mind and want to look for a good used road race prepped C5Z... mine is for sale and ready for the track.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Z06VENOM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May want to look into Time Attack also.

Get notified of new replies

To newbie needs help

Quick Reply: newbie needs help