Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 Valley baffle & oil in intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default LS7 Valley baffle & oil in intake

Has anyone had valley baffle issues or one go out? Symptoms? Are there different designs in any of the C6 Z06 LS7 years?

Like some have mentioned, for track use, I too want to eliminate oil getting in the intake. Am aware of usual solutions, catch cans, route valve cover outlet lines not to intake/throttle body areas, cut and cap the valley to intake line, route valley out line to can or others. I need to do those at least. I'm running Halltech/FAST/ARE.

Aside from above fixes do the baffles ever go out and cause more oil burning/getting thru the system even after above tube re-routes?

Thanks in advance.

Update:

Thread is active here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1582893344

Last edited by nolimits; 04-25-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM
iNeedSpeed
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bump. I have oil in my intake manifold and would be interested to hear about this. Also can anyone comment on the OP's suggestion of re reouting vent lines

Originally Posted by nolimits
Has anyone had valley baffle issues or one go out? Symptoms? Are there different designs in any of the C6 Z06 LS7 years?

Like some have mentioned, for track use, I too want to eliminate oil getting in the intake. Am aware of usual solutions, catch cans, route valve cover outlet lines not to intake/throttle body areas, cut and cap the valley to intake line, route valley out line to can or others. I need to do those at least. I'm running Halltech/FAST/ARE.

Aside from above fixes do the baffles ever go out and cause more oil burning/getting thru the system even after above tube re-routes?

Thanks in advance.

Update:

Thraed is active here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1582893344
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

There are only 2 ways for oil to get into the intake! 1 thru the breather line in front of the TB and 2 thru the line from the valley breather line behind the TB. My solution was to put seperate breather catch cans on both of those lines and plug the lines in front and behind the TB. Now I know which line the oil was coming from and how much. How ever this car is used primarily for track use. With this setup the PVC system is voided so all fumes are exhausted thru the top of the catch can breathers. By the way in my case, every once over the middle mark ends up in the catch can and it is coming from the tank vent and not the valley.JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 04-25-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I decided to take no chances. After pulling my heads last fall to repair broken valve spring, I was disappointed in the amt of oil film present in the runners. I am running a catch can and empty frequently. I attached a breather to the hose coming out of my can that normally would go back into intake port. I plugged the intake port. I have a breather on top of valve cover so no line going back to TB. Now there is zero oil going into intake. No issues so far with smell inside. Will continue to do oil analysis to make sure crankcase is ventilating OK. SpinMonster has a good write-up in the C6 Tech section on the same setup and his oil analysis results. HTH.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Valley baffle & oil in intake

Quick Reply: LS7 Valley baffle & oil in intake