Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero question: New LG splitter plus KAtech spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Aero question: New LG splitter plus KAtech spoiler

Here's the background. I kissed the wall at the track this past weekend and destroyed my LG splitter (the $1k one). It actually stayed together fairly well given that I hit the wall. The bumper cover looks pretty good still except where the splitter attached. All the mounting holes on one side of the bumper cover are torn out so there's no way to mount another bumper cover mounted splitter. Or at least I don't think I could mount another one very well.

I'm thinking maybe I could use the new LG race splitter they have that attaches to the frame (assuming it doesn't use any of the mounting holes in the bumper). The other option I think is to get a new bumper cover at like 800-1000 and another bumper mounted splitter at like 1200 so in end it would be a wash in terms of cost. I'd rather get the nice splitter but will I have too much aero on the front with just the Katech spoiler o nthe back? At some point, I'd probably get the GT2 wing to balance out, but I don't think my pocket book would allow me to buy both at once. I'd hate to get another bumper cover and another mostly cosmetic splitter when I could use that money on getting the splitter I want. But I don't want an unstable car. Thoughts?

Pete
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My assumption is that if you go with LG's "race" Spiltter, Your going to need a wing to balance the car. It makes quite a bit of downforce.

Im sure LG will chime in on this.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The Katech spoiler will have the best balance with the Katech splitter. The LG splitter (their newer, bigger one) is going to provide a lot more front downforce and is probably better matched to a rear wing such as the combo they run on their hill climb ZR1.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phxcobra
Here's the background. I kissed the wall at the track this past weekend and destroyed my LG splitter (the $1k one). It actually stayed together fairly well given that I hit the wall. The bumper cover looks pretty good still except where the splitter attached. All the mounting holes on one side of the bumper cover are torn out so there's no way to mount another bumper cover mounted splitter. Or at least I don't think I could mount another one very well.

I'm thinking maybe I could use the new LG race splitter they have that attaches to the frame (assuming it doesn't use any of the mounting holes in the bumper). The other option I think is to get a new bumper cover at like 800-1000 and another bumper mounted splitter at like 1200 so in end it would be a wash in terms of cost. I'd rather get the nice splitter but will I have too much aero on the front with just the Katech spoiler o nthe back? At some point, I'd probably get the GT2 wing to balance out, but I don't think my pocket book would allow me to buy both at once. I'd hate to get another bumper cover and another mostly cosmetic splitter when I could use that money on getting the splitter I want. But I don't want an unstable car. Thoughts?

Pete
I have destroyed a few splitters and bumper covers, just drill some additional holes in the bottom of the bumper cover and buy new cheap splitter until you run out of places to drill in the bottom of the bumper.

Ian
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Jason. I have (had) the exact combo you do, and after an off-track excursion at 100+ mph (finding brake pad knockback entering a high speed kink is no fun), I'm in the same boat. BUT, given the aero balance that I had with the aforementioned setup, going to the LG GT2 splitter without a wing to balance it out will give, ahem, GREAT high speed turn in, but the balance may leave a bit to be desired. Another option would be to cut a piece of sheetmetal to act as a backing plate. Set it on top of the inside of the bumper cover so that you're clamping the bumper cover between the backing plate and the splitter. That's what I'm looking into right now.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Good suggestions. I think I may look at the sheetmetal route for reinforcement. I think i'll pop the cover off and see if I need to replace some of the foam supports in front. Left side looks mushed in some. I really want to do the LG setup (splitter/wing) but that's like $6k. Maybe I can use some Obama bucks to buy it :-). Otherwise, I don't think my pocket book will allow me to do the splitter and wing plus install for the wing in one fell swoop at the moment...or foreseeable future.

Get notified of new replies

To Aero question: New LG splitter plus KAtech spoiler

Quick Reply: Aero question: New LG splitter plus KAtech spoiler