Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fresh motor/new harness/same maddening issue

Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Fresh motor/new harness/same maddening issue

I've been chasing an issue with my C5z since June last year which ultimately resulted in my intake exploding in Oct.

As a result of that incident I had the motor pulled, freshened, new intake, rails, injectors, TB etc. and a new wire harness installed as the old one had some wires that were burnt.

Just like last year the car was run on the dyno and ran fine, then I take it to the track yesterday and it did the exact same thing as in the past. When operating in track conditions and pulling G's it picks up a miss between 4600 and 4800 rpms and will not clear it self to run at a higher rpm, it almost acts like a govenor. Last year I tried continually to push it thru this ceiling, unltimately the motor quit and when it refired the intake blew up from pent up fuel........so lack of fuel doesnt seem to be the issue.

Because I'd had issues with Service Active Handling last year I tried the car both with ACT/HD(off) and ACT/HD "defeated" as was spelled out in a Thread a few months ago..........the car did the exact same thing. Obviously since this issue only happens in track conditions I was hoping that defeating the ACT/HD might be the fix however it wasnt.

This car has been to countless "experts" and no one seems to be able to figure this out.............anyone here got any idea's??
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

It sounds crazy, I know, but check all your grounds. I had a friend with a similar problem (at a lower RPM). Oddly enough his car would run better when he turned on his emergency flashers....... He had a bad ground near the right rear wheel.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what did the experts see? Can they not read the computer history?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, any idea's are welcomed as this car is very potent and I hate to give up on it.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why give up any motor issue can be resolved.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

To date the codes were associated with active handling, all the protocal's were followed and fixed. Still the same issue. A burnt wire harness and battery positive were found and fixed. Still the same issue.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default hi rpm miss

spark knock sensors causing spark retard? (bad connection, ground?) Your CEL would come on, though if that was the case, I think.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the same issue, took awhile to fix, and also know of two other people that had the same issue.
There is a wiring harness on the drivers side, all the way in the back, like just past intake manifold, that when the motor twist or the is are G's the wire harness fouls the motor.
Like I said this happened to two other people and I was able to help them
Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

So this is a different harness than the main engine harness?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to check all the pin outs at the connector and make sure they are snapped into place.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll throw this in there as a last resort if you are up to checking this. I went through a similar issue 2 seasons ago and went nuts trying to diagnose it. I changed what seemed like every possible part, but at 5000 rpm every single time, it was like hitting the rev limiter and it only would only show a miss (0300 I think) and a TC in the codes. Turned out to be the crank I put in was off and at that rpm it was just enough to move the reluctor so the crank sensor wasn't getting a full read.

I finally as a last resort pulled the motor, pulled the crank and sent it back to Callies... they admitted it was out of spec and fixed it. When I put it back in, it was fine... what a PITA.

I really hope this isn't your issue but if you can't find anything else, it might be your problem too.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate all the suggestions so far. I pulled the codes off the DIC:

SDM: No Comm
PCM: No Codes
TCS: C1222 H, C1221 H, C1248 H, C1282 H, C1287 HC, C1288 HC,
U1000 H, U1016 H
BCM: No Codes
60 IPC: No Comm
AO LDCM: No Comm
RDCM: No Comm
A6 SCM: No Comm
BO-RFA: U1000 H, U1064 H, U1225 H, U1096 H
Old 01-27-2013, 05:40 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

check the star connector in the pax side kick panel. theres an SST for this that lets you replace the bridge bit, and dial in the module you want to talk to via OBD2. I'd just jump the leads to test. The service manual has more info.

OH, i'm assuming you have all the modules still in place in the car.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 PM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

It looks like this issue has been resolved as the car ran great yesterday at VIR. We were able to load the dyno and get the car to repeat what was happening at the track. As I understand it the primary fix was replacing the map sensor and turning off the oxygen senors.

I appreciate everyones ideas on this and want to especially thank, Anthony from LG who offered a number of suggestions. Chad Golen my engine builder who stayed engaged throughout the whole process and finally the folks at All Aspects in Cheasapeake Va. who ulitimately found and fixed the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Fresh motor/new harness/same maddening issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fresh motor/new harness/same maddening issue