Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator / oil cooler for HPDE

Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 PM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator / oil cooler for HPDE

1. Ron Davis or LG? Any major differences?
2. I have a 2003 C5Z and I think (but am not sure) that the oil filter is on the left side. Most radiator Illustrations on vendor's websites have the oil ports on the right side. Are both left and right sided versions available?
Many thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Dewitt Rad w LH side cooler.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

The RD has the oil cooler on the right side. In cool weather the oil will stay very cold since the cooler is on the cool side of the radiator. I had to install a thermostatic control valve in my oil lines so I could drive the car in the winter. On the track the setup works great. My setup was the older DRM version so the oil cooler attached to the oil filter mount on the engine and I had a large remote oil filter installed just behind the radiator. Total oil in the system with the extra quart added when on track was 9 quarts.

Bill
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the Dewitts rad and a separate oil cooler. If you track moderately, I am not sure the in tank oil cooler will really work that well.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the RD combo and it seems to be working very well. My temps came down from the 290s during a ~20 min HPDE session to the 240s
Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

How savvy are you Mike? I elected to copy Pfadt's setup on my car so as to not preheat the air headed to the radiator. The other bigger benefit, as my car is dual duty, is I can easily plug it and my oil still gets up to temp in the winter. On the street the cooler isn't exposed to the elements, so it'll stay cleaner longer. I dropped from 280s to 250s with an opening that I think I need to enlarge.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
johninar
Drifting

Dewitts. 107 at Hallett last summer without ANY issues!
'03 Z
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 PM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
I have the RD combo and it seems to be working very well. My temps came down from the 290s during a ~20 min HPDE session to the 240s
I get similar temperatures, high 280s to low 290s, in both the engine and the transmission oil .
Does the RD combo have the oil cooler on the right? I believe the oil filter is on the left. Any problems with the lines crossing?
Do you think that the transmission (+/-differential) cooling is as important as engine oil cooling, with the above temperatures?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelkrelina
I get similar temperatures, high 280s to low 290s, in both the engine and the transmission oil .
Does the RD combo have the oil cooler on the right? I believe the oil filter is on the left. Any problems with the lines crossing?
Do you think that the transmission (+/-differential) cooling is as important as engine oil cooling, with the above temperatures?
I think you are correct about the cooler and filter locations. The oil filter is definitly switched over to the driver's side. I has 21st century do the install, looked like a lot of work and their price was very reasonable. I haven't gotten the tranny and differential coolers yet, but they are next on my list. Temps that high just can't be good for reliability.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just picked up my '03 z06 from Phoenix. They installed a RD with the integrated oil cooler. Afterward I went on a 40 minute drive to see my parents. It is 22 degrees outside. Took about 15 minutes for the oil to get to 180 and stayed there. I think for me that's fine given how much I drive it in this weather. I can't wait to see the effect on the track. I would do 4 laps at Thunderbolt and be in the 290's. Drivetrain is stock.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:56 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on how hard you drive on the track, you may find that the oil integrated radiators do not meet your cooling needs. I had one and it served me well until I improved to the point where slicks were appropriate as were the requisite suspension modifications. At that point the cooling capacity of the oil integrated radiator no longer was meeting my needs with oil temps again approaching 295.

I then went to a Ron Davis water only and Setrab dedicated cooler, both from DRM. On the hottest days at Watkins Glen oil temps eventually get to 245 and water stays comfortably under 200.

If I drive on the street I have to wrap the oil cooler in Saran Wrap to get oil temps above 160. Mine is mostly a track car now, but if I drove on the street more I probably would put in a manual oil cooler bypass valve.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelkrelina
I believe the oil filter is on the left. Any problems with the lines crossing?
The oil filter and the oil tap is on the driver side and crossing over to the passenger side is messy and expensive. I recommend using the modified C6 GM hose assembly and the left side EOC radiator. You only need to purchase two items.

Model 898 $225

http://www.dewitts.com/collections/a...lines-w-bypass

1139097E $620

http://www.dewitts.com/collections/c...ator-automatic

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 02-02-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator / oil cooler for HPDE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radiator / oil cooler for HPDE