Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are formula one helmets overkill

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default are formula one helmets overkill

I know we shouldn't put a price tag on our head but my question is purely a technical one since I can't get an answer from bell as to why the HP3 formula one is
better than my m4 pro.
What's the difference between what we get vs a NASCAR, indy driver etc...
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

People used to say the HANS was overkill especially at low level slow clubrace speeds. Does anyone believe that anymore easpecially when a HANS can be bought for about the cost of 2 tires and last for years?

The F1 helmet complies to a completely different FIA spec that is why. It is a way better helmet in every way except more weight which is bad but that bad is negated by using a HANS so the small extra weight is a non-issue. There are similar new specs with the FIA seats which are certified for 10 years instead of 5.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
People used to say the HANS was overkill especially at low level slow clubrace speeds. Does anyone believe that anymore easpecially when a HANS can be bought for about the cost of 2 tires and last for years?

The F1 helmet complies to a completely different FIA spec that is why. It is a way better helmet in every way except more weight which is bad but that bad is negated by using a HANS so the small extra weight is a non-issue. There are similar new specs with the FIA seats which are certified for 10 years instead of 5.
I'm no race car driver but I wouldn't consider 100 plus low level speeds in an impact Lol. I'm sure there has to be something to the F1 helmets compared to say a bell m4 pro helmet. I'm just wondering how much more protection there is comparing the two.

Get notified of new replies

To are formula one helmets overkill

Quick Reply: are formula one helmets overkill