Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting up an LS powered 86 camaro for Drag/AutoX/HPDE info?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM
yow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Setting up an LS powered 86 camaro for Drag/AutoX/HPDE info?

A buddy just got an old 86 camaro and we will be setting it up as an all around track car. He drag races and I do HPDEs. His plans are to do a 5.3L turbo LS swap with auto trans and manual valve body. He has a few ideas and wants to do a 9" in the rear, disk brakes, and maybe an adjustable 4 link rear end.

Where can I get some good information on setting this car up for an all round car? He wants to be fast at the drag while still competitive at autox and on the road course. We are just looking for a place to start reading and researching.

Thanks for any input!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yow
A buddy just got an old 86 camaro and we will be setting it up as an all around track car. He drag races and I do HPDEs. His plans are to do a 5.3L turbo LS swap with auto trans and manual valve body. He has a few ideas and wants to do a 9" in the rear, disk brakes, and maybe an adjustable 4 link rear end.

Where can I get some good information on setting this car up for an all round car? He wants to be fast at the drag while still competitive at autox and on the road course. We are just looking for a place to start reading and researching.

Thanks for any input!
not happening
Old 01-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

I do a mix of track events with mine and it does alright. Optimizing for each type of racing or each track would be worth it. I typically leave mine setup for road course HPDE/NASA time trial which is a big compromise for drag racing. If I wanted to get the most out of it for drag I would really need to spend time switching things around.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

www.frrax.com
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM
yow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input! We've got a lot to sort out but plenty of time to work out kinks.

Get notified of new replies

To Setting up an LS powered 86 camaro for Drag/AutoX/HPDE info?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Setting up an LS powered 86 camaro for Drag/AutoX/HPDE info?