Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Advice: C6 Rotors/Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM
amallano
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for Advice: C6 Rotors/Pads

I have about 7 track days on my stock 06 Z51 rotors. My last time out after my 2nd 25 min session, I burned through my pads and had to go to Advanced Autoparts to get a new set, ending up with Wagner ThermoQuiet. Threw them on and finished the day w/o issue. However, got me thinking.

1) With no visable cracks, how much life should be left on the rotors?
2) Should I be able to get through 1-2 track days with the Wagner pads? I got through 6 with the stock pads.

I still categorize myself as a beginner to light intermediate driver, mild on track braking. Car is pretty much stock except tunes/CAI.

I intend on getting new OEM Z51 rotors and pads, as they treated me well to this point and they are cheaper than alternatives.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

oem rotors are fine. if you buy stock pads because you're not hard on brakes yet, just make sure you do not get ceramic. Get semi-metallic. At least for my c5z I know they sell both. Stock ceramics are quieter and dust less which is why they sell them for the street. They will quickly overheat and have trouble stopping the car at a track event.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Good advice there. I ran the stock rotors on our '08 Z06 until the heat checking was more than I was comfortable with, though the rotors were pretty beat overall. They still measured fine, but the surface was pretty roughed up, lots of heat checking, etc so I swapped them out for a set of DBA 4000 slotteds. I ran Carbotech XP8 once I went through my factory pads. They're a good step first into race pads, but if you use the car for a lot of street driving and don't want to change them out between track days, you might be better off with the Delco pads or one of the Hawk compromise street/track pads because the Carbotechs will likely squeal. You'll find that your rear pads will outlast several sets of fronts.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by amallano
I have about 7 track days on my stock 06 Z51 rotors. My last time out after my 2nd 25 min session, I burned through my pads and had to go to Advanced Autoparts to get a new set, ending up with Wagner ThermoQuiet. Threw them on and finished the day w/o issue. However, got me thinking.

1) With no visable cracks, how much life should be left on the rotors?
2) Should I be able to get through 1-2 track days with the Wagner pads? I got through 6 with the stock pads.

I still categorize myself as a beginner to light intermediate driver, mild on track braking. Car is pretty much stock except tunes/CAI.

I intend on getting new OEM Z51 rotors and pads, as they treated me well to this point and they are cheaper than alternatives.
We make several diffrent compounds that you maybe interested in, what is your main focus for this car?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bedding!

Once you choose your rotors and pads, be sure to bed properly.

Roger T
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
amallano
Instructor

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
We make several diffrent compounds that you maybe interested in, what is your main focus for this car?
Its "drive to the track and drive home". Not a garge queen but not a dedicated track car. Not sure if I want to get into swapping pads for events, although I know you guys allow that with your compounds.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
amallano
Instructor

Thx for the feeback so far. Yup, understand the ceramic story. Not going there, my wheels get dirty I will wash em. I've had success with the Armorall rim spray anyway. Car squeeled for the last 5 years so I'm used to it. I basically want to end up with a pad/rotor set that will be fine for street (as far as wear) and will give some bite at the track at OEM Z51 performance or better. This is why I'm leaning to just re-OEM it. Continued feedback appreciated.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by amallano
Thx for the feeback so far. Yup, understand the ceramic story. Not going there, my wheels get dirty I will wash em. I've had success with the Armorall rim spray anyway. Car squeeled for the last 5 years so I'm used to it. I basically want to end up with a pad/rotor set that will be fine for street (as far as wear) and will give some bite at the track at OEM Z51 performance or better. This is why I'm leaning to just re-OEM it. Continued feedback appreciated.
Carbotech XP8 front, stock rear might be a really good option for you. You'll get way better bite than stock pads and while they'll wear fast at the track I think for street driving the wear difference is negligible. I run XP8 front & rear on our 08Z and as I mentioned, I do get squeal as I slow to a stop but my ear tells me it's mostly from the rear so just using it up front might be a good compromise street/track setup. When I wear out the XP8 rears I'll put a set of stock rear pads I have on it, plenty of bite for the front/rear balance requirement.

Once you move R compound tires is when the braking requirements really ratchet up. Make sure you have good cooling on them and you may need to bump up to XP10 or 12.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Advice: C6 Rotors/Pads

Quick Reply: Looking for Advice: C6 Rotors/Pads