Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight flywheel

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
heypal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lightweight flywheel

So my car is mainly a HPDE car now but I do take it out once in awhile. I'm looking at getting a LS7 clutch and maybe a lightweight flywheel to go with it. The car is mostly stock just has headers, tune and I plan on keeping it this way. So I think the clutch will be ok. I just need some ideas on flywheels. What are you guys using and where is the best place to pick one up at?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

LS7 is the last clutch I would ever put in a car that sees track duty. It's one of the heaviest clutches you can put in a C5 and heavy clutches are murder on other drivetrain components.
I have 2 Spec clutches that I need to sell. One is a stage 1 and one is a stage 3. Both have aluminum flywheel and optional aluminum pressure plate. Not that I'm trying to sell it to you, unless you want to buy one of course. Just saying that there are much better options than an LS7 clutch.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 271 Likes on 213 Posts

It put a Fidanza flywheel and clutch in my car a couple of years back. Haven't touched it since.

The aluminum flywheel was the single biggest performance gain I've seen at the track. The engine just winds up like crazy. Biggest problem I had was changing all of my shift points on the track. It wound up so fast I had to shift a lot sooner than I did with the stock flywheel.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
LS7 is the last clutch I would ever put in a car that sees track duty. It's one of the heaviest clutches you can put in a C5 and heavy clutches are murder on other drivetrain components.
I have 2 Spec clutches that I need to sell. One is a stage 1 and one is a stage 3. Both have aluminum flywheel and optional aluminum pressure plate. Not that I'm trying to sell it to you, unless you want to buy one of course. Just saying that there are much better options than an LS7 clutch.
do not use any stock GM clutches. They all use self adjusting ring in the pressure plate and it does not like high rpms!

google "sac clutch"...
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love so C5 feedback on this, so when I get to a point I need a new clutch I will be edumicated.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Spec flywheel and clutch on C5 track only car. No issues since install about 7 months ago. Makes getting on the trailer a little more difficult but makes the track much more fun.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by heypal
So my car is mainly a HPDE car now but I do take it out once in awhile. I'm looking at getting a LS7 clutch and maybe a lightweight flywheel to go with it. The car is mostly stock just has headers, tune and I plan on keeping it this way. So I think the clutch will be ok. I just need some ideas on flywheels. What are you guys using and where is the best place to pick one up at?
After some reading and finding posts from people who did hpde's with an ls7 clutch and lightweight flywheel, I put both in my frc in nov.

Use TmillerC5 as username in your serach.

I have yet to do any trackdays yet, but it feels fine to me. My car is a street car that does up to 5 hpde weekends a year, so that was also a factor for me.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rfn026
It put a Fidanza flywheel and clutch in my car a couple of years back. Haven't touched it since.

The aluminum flywheel was the single biggest performance gain I've seen at the track. The engine just winds up like crazy. Biggest problem I had was changing all of my shift points on the track. It wound up so fast I had to shift a lot sooner than I did with the stock flywheel.

Richard Newton
Facebook

2nd that with the BIGGEST HELL YEAH. Out of all my mods, this was my favorite. As said motor revs like crazy (Ferrari like) and blipping the throttle for rev matching is pure joy. I can't justify the cost right now as my current clutch is in good shape, but the minute it goes, Fidanza flywheel is going in!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I did exactly what you are wanting to do. LS7 clutch with a Fidanza light weight flywheel 13# unit. Only got to 3 track days last year and I really like it. Seemed to have more pop out of the corners and I was shifting a little earlier as it ramped up pretty quik. Street driving was not bad either. I would get a little bucking at real slow speeds but nothing that would drive you crazy unless you get stuck in traffic.

Like you I still like driving on the street but paln on doing 4/5 track days this year. A couple at Road America and then a couple shorter tracks around the Mid West. I have been real happy with the combo and have had no problems with it.
Tim
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got the aluminum Fidanza as well as their lightweight 7.6 dual disk clutch. The only view of the street my car gets is from on the trailer on the way to the track. Even as lightweight as my system is, it's still very easy to modulate the clutch. If there's a downside it would be that with a large cam the motor has a little trouble coming back to idle without hunting. Nothing I can't live with on a track car. As far as track performance - it's the only way to go.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 PM
heypal
Pro

Cool deal guys thank you all. I appreciate everyone's view on this. And I'll be ordering mine asap.

Get notified of new replies

To Lightweight flywheel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lightweight flywheel