Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting new tires for track day

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting new tires for track day

So I bought a set of CCW Wheels recently (very happy with them) and they mounted new Kuhmo V710 on there for me. I'll be at the track this weekend for NASA Time Trials and expect what's left of the tires will be cooked. Buying scrubs soon.

Question: Where do you guys get your tires mounted and what does it usually cost? I planned on throwing everything in the girlfriend's SUV and taking it to Discount Tire. They are saying about $100 to take off the old rubber, mount the scrubs and Roadforce balance them.

Curious what you guys do and what you typically pay? I realize many of you have a tow vehicle and can get this done at a shop at the track, but that is not an option for me.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
So I bought a set of CCW Wheels recently (very happy with them) and they mounted new Kuhmo V710 on there for me. I'll be at the track this weekend for NASA Time Trials and expect what's left of the tires will be cooked. Buying scrubs soon.

Question: Where do you guys get your tires mounted and what does it usually cost? I planned on throwing everything in the girlfriend's SUV and taking it to Discount Tire. They are saying about $100 to take off the old rubber, mount the scrubs and Roadforce balance them.

Curious what you guys do and what you typically pay? I realize many of you have a tow vehicle and can get this done at a shop at the track, but that is not an option for me.

A bit on the high side but not far off. I pay 15-20 cash per tire depending on which of two places I go.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't waste your money balancing them, track tires don't last forever anyway. I worked out a deal with the local NTB in NRH TX next to my house and GoodYear in Grapevine on Main: $10/tire. After seeing them struggle with some of the slicks I'm sure I'll never want to do this myself.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

My local tire shop gets @ $15/per to mount & balance. Call around & get yourself a better deal.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:52 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NTB just quoted me $88 all in, which includes balancing. I'll see if any of the smaller shops will do it cheaper.

I prefer to have them balanced as I've driven at speed when the tires aren't properly balanced and it can be both annoying and a little unsettling.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Walmart! Mine charges $5 per tire for mounting and I don't have them balanced. My wheels don't matter that much but I watch over them and they are as conscientious as any tire store guys anywhere. Maybe even more so since they seem interested in what you are doing.

You do need to carry them in because some stores will not do non-stock sizes if they are on the car.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Walmart! Mine charges $5 per tire for mounting and I don't have them balanced. My wheels don't matter that much but I watch over them and they are as conscientious as any tire store guys anywhere. Maybe even more so since they seem interested in what you are doing.

You do need to carry them in because some stores will not do non-stock sizes if they are on the car.

yep.

You do need to watch them & even "help" out. Usually there is one guy who actually knows a tire machine & a few others who have "watched" it done a few times.

I do think there is a higher chance of wheel damage due to misuse of the changer. The changer will break a rim like you break a potatoe chip if used wrong.

The guys at dedicated tire shops get lots more practice & are a bit more skilled, but not all. You can still get a bubba at a dedicated tire store.

This from a decade of experience with all kinds of tire stores.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

yep.

You do need to watch them & even "help" out. Usually there is one guy who actually knows a tire machine & a few others who have "watched" it done a few times.

I do think there is a higher chance of wheel damage due to misuse of the changer. The changer will break a rim like you break a potatoe chip if used wrong.

The guys at dedicated tire shops get lots more practice & are a bit more skilled, but not all. You can still get a bubba at a dedicated tire store.

This from a decade of experience with all kinds of tire stores.
My experience at Walmart so far has been the guys are a little more careful than the so called experienced ones I've encountered at some of the tire stores. I'd rather have an inexperienced person that is taking care NOT to damage something than an experienced person that doesn't give a rats behind. You are right that the hydraulics will snap a rim but so far I've not had one broken. The folks I used before walmart scratched the crap out of them but it doesn't matter much on my wheels. This from 4 decades of experience with all kinds of tire stores.

The added benefit is they are ridiculously cheap.

Last edited by Han Solo; 03-14-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I would not buy a tire the really needs Road Force balancing. It compensates for a really crappy tire.

I have used Walmart for about 10 years now. I'm treated like royalty because they don't see a lot of Corvette wheels or slicks. I carry in wheels & tires loose. they usually "forget" to charge for something.

I have stopped balancing tires. Track turds stuck on the outside of the tire affect balance probably as much as anything. I really don't see the need as you don't spend a lot of time "cruising" on track. It's usually a blast from 60 to 150 MPH and back down again even at tracks like Road America.

I think I spend about $10-12 per tire to mount and dispose of old, carry in, no balance... and no Chinese valve stems please.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The place I go to varies in price for mounting and balancing my race tires. About half the time it is free and the other half of the time they charge $12 per wheel. The days it is free they just say throw the tire guy a tip.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Mounting new tires for track day

Quick Reply: Mounting new tires for track day