Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a good thread on how to route stock belt through racing seat holes

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Default Looking for a good thread on how to route stock belt through racing seat holes

Hi,

I would like to route my stock seatbelt through the provisions provided in my Corbeau FX1 Pro seat. This is a temporary setup until I get my harness bar and harness, but I would like to be safe in the meantime. That having been said, I've been unable to find a good tutorial on how to do this. Has anyone else done this? Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Why would you want to do this? Race seats with openings for 5 or 6 point harnesses are designed to use those harness belts only.

If you try to pass the factory belt through any of those holes, it may not work right in a collision. And if you have to get out of the car quickly, the belt may snag in the hole and not release properly.

You should be able to sit in the seat and pull the factory belt across you and lock the belt in. The belt will work properly that way if it should be needed.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed mine already...but was never able to get a concrete guaranteed this is 100% the absolute only way to install them and if you don't you will die answer.

I think it all comes down to the dimensions of the seats and the passenger and the angles that they put the belts into . If you do a search on how Porsche installs there's you'll even see that they've mounted them differently depending on the style of seat etc.

Last edited by GOTHAM VETTE; 03-16-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're talking about doing something like this?

If I was going to do a racing bucket, and a 3-point belt, that’s the way I would do it. Seems like it would keep the belt snug against your body, I would just be careful to keep the angles correct so they’re not binding on the openings in the seat.

I haven’t done this personally, but if you have a C5 I would try to unbolt the top mounting point (on the B-pillar) and fish that through the side belt opening on your seat.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie

If I was going to do a racing bucket, and a 3-point belt, that’s the way I would do it. Seems like it would keep the belt snug against your body, I would just be careful to keep the angles correct so they’re not binding on the openings in the seat.

I haven’t done this personally, but if you have a C5 I would try to unbolt the top mounting point (on the B-pillar) and fish that through the side belt opening on your seat.
That's the setup I'm looking for. I've read articles explaining why you shouldn't keep the stock seatbelts unless you thread the belt through as shown here. It sounds now like I'm receiving contradictory information. Ideally, I can use the stock belt on the road and the 6pt harness on the track. I'll dig through my manuals and figure out the best way to fish the side belt. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
That's the setup I'm looking for. I've read articles explaining why you shouldn't keep the stock seatbelts unless you thread the belt through as shown here. It sounds now like I'm receiving contradictory information. Ideally, I can use the stock belt on the road and the 6pt harness on the track. I'll dig through my manuals and figure out the best way to fish the side belt. Thanks!
No problem.

You'll need a flathead screwdriver to pop off the cover, and a T-47 torx head to remove the bolt (I believe some people have success with T-50 as well).
Old 03-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie

You will also have to find a way to put the buckle end through the seat also... I tried finding a way to do it with my Cobra Sazuka seat (which is similar in shape to the one pictured) in my C6 and I couldn't find a safe way to do it. Hopefully you will be more sucessful, Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a good thread on how to route stock belt through racing seat holes

Quick Reply: Looking for a good thread on how to route stock belt through racing seat holes