Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Grand-ALMS classes announced

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:43 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New Grand-ALMS classes announced

The lineup – in effect for the 2014 and 2015 seasons – is based on a philosophy of inclusion. The majority of classes from both the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series and the ALMS will be retained with the exception of the ALMS’ P1 prototype class.

Individual class names have yet to be determined. The planned structure:

• GRAND-AM’s DP and the ALMS’ P2 classes will combine into one, headlining prototype class that also will include the revolutionary DeltaWing prototype, with performance of the cars balanced to maintain close competition.
• The ALMS’ Prototype Challenge (PC) class for spec prototypes will continue to run as a separate class.
• Both of the organizations’ production-based GT classes will continue as separate, distinct categories based on performance, preserving each class’ proud history and loyal fan following. As part of this plan, the ALMS’ GTC cars will join the GRAND-AM GTs.
• GRAND-AM’s new GX class, which is debuting at this year’s Rolex 24 later this month, is being explored as a possible addition to the GRAND-AM half of the GT mix in 2014-15. There also is the possibility that GX will run separately as a fifth class.

Specifications for all classes still are being determined and will be announced later this year. In addition, there will be continued discussion regarding the increasing inclusion of green technologies in the new unified series.

“This is a ‘best of both worlds’ approach that reflects the fact we have a true merger evolving on a daily basis,” said GRAND-AM Managing Director of Competition Richard Buck.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

So sad to see lmp1 cars going away. I hate the grand am dp cars.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
So sad to see lmp1 cars going away. I hate the grand am dp cars.
I'll miss the technology, but not the tiny fields and ***-ugly cars. LMP1 coupes are uglier than the DPs of a few years back.

There is more competition in one DP race than in a year of LMP1. Next year, with DP and LMP2 combined, the fields should be huge and very competitive.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me it will be very interesting what they do performance-wise when they combine DPs and ALMS P2 cars. The DPs are a great chassis/platfrom with pretty sophisticated aero, and they have been extremely horsepower limited per the regulations. I would love to see them allow more HP in the DP cars to see what they can really do. They will either need to increase DP HP or reduce P2 HP to make them closer (and I am sure they will come up with lots of rules for the chassis/aero of each type of car). This could be a very cool class, especially if the number of cars entered grows.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree 100% with jcsperson comments
Old 03-20-2013, 03:44 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good, though the dual GT classes will be confusing. Obviously they needed to keep both since that is where most of the teams are. Maybe they will unify in a few years, but now it is a good split between budget/well funded teams in Grand-Am GT and big budget teams in GTE.
I like P1s, but the arms race has wiped (nearly) everyone out. Even with Porsche's return, it doesn't seem like it will be the second coming (of the 962).
Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Was a big fan of the deltawing till sebring. It's not holding it's own for track times or reliability and I question whether it'll stick around next year. With that, I like the class structuring. LMP1 was all but dead anyway. Hopefully there will still be a strong P2 field ready to kick some DP butt! Will look forward to how the ALMS GT class fairs against the GA GT class. Assume it'll be pretty close to GT vs GTC.

Get notified of new replies

To New Grand-ALMS classes announced

Quick Reply: New Grand-ALMS classes announced