Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Hill Climb/Time Trial Rear Cage, options?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Zak77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA Hill Climb/Time Trial Rear Cage, options?

I'm having a hell of a time finding a good option for a rear cage for my C5. My goal is to continue with HPDE but move over into hill climbs and time trials. I do not plan to wheel to wheel race the C5, as I'd get another vehicle for that, most likely a Formula Ford or Formula Veeeeee.

What options are out there for a safe rear bar? Pfadt seems to be one of the better bars but it's almost easier to find a unicorn than one of those bars. Any others to look at? I've spoken to some fabricators around where I live do not have a lot of experience with C5's and where to weld the bars in, especially behind the seats. I spoke to Phoenix and because of insurance reasons they cannot do rear cages.

Besides to continue to search for a Pfadt bar, any others to look for and have someone weld in? LG? The Autopower and Wolfe seem to get poor reviews for their build quality and I don't want to go with a cheap setup.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

You're in PA....put in a call to Joe & Tom Acquilante, serious experts in caging Corvettes (and other stuff):

http://www.phoenixperformance.net/index.html

Probably not a "bargain" solution, but safety equipment is not where money should be saved.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Zak77
Racer

I spoke with Joe via PM's and he said they would not do a rear cage, only full cages. I want to keep my vehicle still streetable thus only a SCCA time trial legal cage. Their are a number of hill climbs that are held literally 20 minutes from my house.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Call Piper Motorsports. I think they are located in MD or VA. They have done a lot of C5 cages as well as BMWs, Miatas, etc. and have a good reputation. You mention Phoenix won't do a rear only cage due to insurance - I have no idea if Piper has the same stipulations nowadays but I recall seeing a picture on Piper's site a few years ago of a really nice welded in roll bar they fabricated for a C5.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Zak77
Racer

Thanks for the info. I just called Robbie at Piper and he's going to email me a proposal for the 2 types of rear harness bars/roll bars they fabricate/install.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Zak I'd be interested in what those proposals look like. when do you expect them? If you don't mind sharing I will PM you my email address. Have you ever been to the Reading event? I've always thought about going to check it out but never did. Driving them would be fun but would take some b*lls with the trees so close to the road.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

You could try Kerry Hitt at Advanced Composites in Harrisburg. Kerry's built a lot of race cars over the years and may be able to help you, or direct you to someone who can.

http://www.advancedcompositeproducts.com/

You could also try Lee Benson at All Pro Cars in Muncy PA (near Williamsport). They build Cobra Daytona Coupes, but also build their own 63 Grand Sport frame. They do a lot of fab work, and might be able to make up what you want.

http://www.allprocars.com/web/cars.html
Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Zak77
Racer

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Zak I'd be interested in what those proposals look like. when do you expect them? If you don't mind sharing I will PM you my email address. Have you ever been to the Reading event? I've always thought about going to check it out but never did. Driving them would be fun but would take some b*lls with the trees so close to the road.
I have not been up to an event there yet but have been wanting to do time trials since I bought the C5. I ran into a guy with a beautiful E36 M3 that had a rear cage in the walmart parking lot over in Elverson. I asked him if he raced or was that bar more for style. He is an avid hill climber and he holds a few records for his car's class at the Reading events. Great guy with a ton of information. Their SCCA group held an autocross in Morgantown a few weeks ago that I attended and got to meet a lot of other hill climbers. Sounds insane and a lot of fun at the same time. Some of the cars that show up to the reading events are incredible. Lola's, DP's, ex F1 cars etc.

Some of the crash video's are also insane. I don't plan on winning or even come close I just want to compete.

I received the quote from Robbie at Piper. Not to shabby I must say. I'll PM you the price and see if I can send over the pics as well. Looks like a very, very clean install. They attach their bar to the top of the rear hatch area behind the seats. Not sure I'm crazy about that as a mounting point. They also weld plates to the B pillar and mount the main hoops to it as well, then the diagnals and rear braces. You can also have special plates put in to raise up the targa top supports so you can still store to top in the rear. The bar looks fantastic.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Zak77
Racer

I looked at the pics again, and I really like his roll bar. Now I just need to sell my Cannondale road bike and my two utility trailers so I can get this bar and pick up a trailer to tow the C5 with.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

I just bought an open Econo trailer. They are in Claysburg PA. I looked for a used one and for the price this is real nice and lends itself to lots of customize options. There's a recent thread going on pics/ideas of tire racks.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Zak77
Racer

I've been reading that thread on the tire racks. Some very cool ideas. I might just have to buy a hitch for my c5 and drive to the tracks towing a small trailer for tires, tools etc. Plus the fact I need to sell my Saturn Outlook and buy a Tahoe or Suburban for a tow vehicle.

I'd love to stop by sometime and check out your trailer.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

sure. home most weekends. I will probably be loading the car up Sunday to bring it in to Phoenix next week.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Zak77
I'm having a hell of a time finding a good option for a rear cage for my C5. My goal is to continue with HPDE but move over into hill climbs and time trials. I do not plan to wheel to wheel race the C5, as I'd get another vehicle for that, most likely a Formula Ford or Formula Veeeeee.
Wow, it's been a long time since I was at the Hershey Hillclimb, grew up in Pa.

I'm an SCCA Chief of Tech (Time Trials).
In case you don't have this, here are the time Trials rules (Hillclimb's use the same):

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...Rulesv0313.pdf

Don't get a FV, a Formula Ford is way more fun and a lot faster.
I have an FF and Featherlite enclosed trailer that I'm thinking about selling to fund a frameoff resto on my 67 Coupe.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Zak77
Racer

I've read the rules a bit before. After the cage, I need to figure out the window netting issue.

My main interest in FV was just the cost. Pretty easy to pick one up for less than 5K.

PM me what you are thinking price wise for your FF.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Hill Climb/Time Trial Rear Cage, options?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCCA Hill Climb/Time Trial Rear Cage, options?