Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Day Blog - Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Track Day Blog - Part 1

This is my most recent blog entry. It's a basic introduction to track events. Some of you know all of this. Some know even more than this. This though is a basic introduction.

Track days have gone through some tremendous changes over the decades. We're now getting tractor trailer rigs with full crews showing up here in Florida. It's getting wilder each year.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 PM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Richard, always enjoy reading your posts.

Thanks.

Roger T
Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
This is my most recent blog entry. It's a basic introduction to track events. Some of you know all of this. Some know even more than this. This though is a basic introduction.

Track days have gone through some tremendous changes over the decades. We're now getting tractor trailer rigs with full crews showing up here in Florida. It's getting wilder each year.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Richard I aqree with all of your observations. Yet, time moves on!!!

I was also at Sebring in March with SVRA. Let's see what you think is included with the "Vintage/ Historic" acronym. There were Ferrari 360 and 430 Challenge cars in my class, along with tube frame GT1 cars (Camaros and Corvettes)............BUT in my enduros there were also (I kid you not) the LMP-1 Audi R8 LeMans winner from 2005, and the Porsche LMP-1 RS Spyder, along with various Daytona Prototype cars, and various super cars lapping 30 seconds or more faster than I was. I am not criticizing, just a note here that "Vintage/Historic" racing is not exactly the same level of sport that I encountered when I entered it 40 years ago. I have to drive with my "mirrors" most of the time
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Richard,

I have only been doing hpde for a year, so,I am still learning. Your blog ends by saying:

"Racing brake fluid is intended for use in racing-type brake systems that undergo frequent fluid changes, so exceeding federal standards for wet boiling points is of little concern. Racers don't care about the wet boiling point, since they change fluid so often it never contains any moisture. Racing brake fluids always exceed the DOT specifications for dry boiling points. The dry boiling point is more important than the wet boiling point when used in a racing brake system.t I Just the opposite is true for street cars, where the fluid is seldom changed. If you flush your brake fluid before each event, it won't have time to attract any moisture either."

If the dry boiling point is more important than wet boiling point, why do almost all racers use castrol SRF, which has by far the highest wet boling point? I recently switched to it and it is liquid gold. I was boling motul 600 after two days at the track. I have been told wet boiling point is more important than dry boiling point. I bled with SRF 4 track days ago and zero fade with SRF.

Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Richard,

I have only been doing hpde for a year, so,I am still learning. Your blog ends by saying:

"Racing brake fluid is intended for use in racing-type brake systems that undergo frequent fluid changes, so exceeding federal standards for wet boiling points is of little concern. Racers don't care about the wet boiling point, since they change fluid so often it never contains any moisture. Racing brake fluids always exceed the DOT specifications for dry boiling points. The dry boiling point is more important than the wet boiling point when used in a racing brake system.t I Just the opposite is true for street cars, where the fluid is seldom changed. If you flush your brake fluid before each event, it won't have time to attract any moisture either."

If the dry boiling point is more important than wet boiling point, why do almost all racers use castrol SRF, which has by far the highest wet boling point? I recently switched to it and it is liquid gold. I was boling motul 600 after two days at the track. I have been told wet boiling point is more important than dry boiling point. I bled with SRF 4 track days ago and zero fade with SRF.

Thoughts?
You are right... After boiling motul 600 I switched to SRF.. Never a problem again.
The dry boiling is about the same with both fluids.. But SRF is superior on the wet boiling point. I've never boiled with SRF with minimal bleeding and have boiled Motul 600 even after frequent changing and bleeding.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Here's Part 2.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 03-24-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: url
Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

I just learned that viscosity is also important with brake fluid. A low viscosity fluid allows the pistons to retract faster. Brake fluid is a complex thing.

Richard

Last edited by rfn026; 03-24-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: sp

Get notified of new replies

To Track Day Blog - Part 1

Quick Reply: Track Day Blog - Part 1