Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Tire Recommendation

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a recommendation for a dual use tire.

Only drive about 3kmi / year
Do about two HPDE events / year
No rain or snow use but will be in a cold garage over the winter
Don't care about noise or ride comfort
Tires won't be shaved

I'm embarrassed to say that my BFG KD are age hardened rather than worn out, but I wasn't overly impressed with them. I liked the old A008RS (used on my previous car) better but I'm really showing my age with those.

Almost forgot, stock rims (2000 C5, Z51, T1 Bars).

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the money the NT05 might be the ticket. I know several people who track that tire and like it.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:32 AM
newtovette2013
Heel & Toe

I liked the NT05's on my C6Z06 on and off the track.
They were a bit loud on the track in corners but at least you knew what they were doing... lasted very well and drove well on the street....
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Another Vote for the NT05's

Great dual purpose tire and will work well for you.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

The better street tires for handling include Hankook RS3, Kumho XS, Nitto NT5, Dunlop Direzza II, and the new BFG Rival. Then you also have the hard compound track tires from Kumho, Hoosier, Michelin, Toyo and Yokohama. If you included autocross, the Hankook, Dunlop and BFG's would be the top ones. with the others a close second.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:17 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
For the money the NT05 might be the ticket. I know several people who track that tire and like it.
I have NT05's (275/40-17) on my 87 and they work very well for track use. I have also used them for autocross. For track days, they warm up quickly (1-2 laps depending on the track temp and air temps) and they will give ample warning when they are about to lose traction.

While they also serve as street tires, I am very careful when driving in heavy rain.

I bought mine from Discount Tire Direct and paid $600 delivered to my house. DTD offers free shipping and only took 5 days to get them.

The Kumho XS would be another good choice. I think the two tires are pretty close in price. I had run the previous version (MX) and those tires were very good track day tires.

I would not expect a whole lot of tread life from either tire. Figure on maybe 20-25K miles for street use and some track days. But given the low cost, it's still a good deal for a high performance tire.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I am going to order a set of BFG Rival.....as soon as they are released.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by charger21
I am going to order a set of BFG Rival.....as soon as they are released.
I'd consider those, but I didn't see a 265 or 275/40ZR17.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I also use/like the NT-05's, BUT for the low annual mileage you accrue, I would recommend a more track oriented tire such as the Michelin Pilot Sport CUP, the new Pilot Super Sport, or the new ZR1 tire described as "almost a slick".
Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Sounds like a lot of votes for the NT-05!

C4Cruiser, will take years for me to hit 25k miles. My original tires were toast in 3 years but it was almost completely done in that third year with several days at WGI, VIR, and Summit.

63Corvette, I'm with you on the softer tire. Do you think the more track oriented tires you suggested will harden faster with heat cycling than the NT-05?

Gordy, too many choices!!!

I thought I had read in one of the stickies a recommendation for Toyo R888. Are they now less of a tire than the others? I think they are equivalent to the NT-01.

Just got back from having ECS tune the car. I had added a 228 Cam/trunions/timing chain damper/ls6 intake/ARH off-road w/Swaintech. Came in at 380 at the wheels on a conservative tune and a nice fat torque curve. Now I just need tires and a day at the track!

Thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Sounds like a lot of votes for the NT-05!

C4Cruiser, will take years for me to hit 25k miles. My original tires were toast in 3 years but it was almost completely done in that third year with several days at WGI, VIR, and Summit.

63Corvette, I'm with you on the softer tire. Do you think the more track oriented tires you suggested will harden faster with heat cycling than the NT-05?

Gordy, too many choices!!!

I thought I had read in one of the stickies a recommendation for Toyo R888. Are they now less of a tire than the others? I think they are equivalent to the NT-01.

Just got back from having ECS tune the car. I had added a 228 Cam/trunions/timing chain damper/ls6 intake/ARH off-road w/Swaintech. Came in at 380 at the wheels on a conservative tune and a nice fat torque curve. Now I just need tires and a day at the track!

Thanks
I think the Michelin PS CUP comes closest to your desired tire. Although pricey, I think that it is intended to be street driven to the track, where it (and ALL other track tires) needs HEAT in them to work, but will reward you with your best compromise tire for your described usage.
Please let the Forum members know your choice and results
Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MongoZ06

And another vote here.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by newtovette2013
I liked the NT05's on my C6Z06 on and off the track.
They were a bit loud on the track in corners but at least you knew what they were doing... lasted very well and drove well on the street....
Originally Posted by MongoZ06

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I have NT05's (275/40-17) on my 87 and they work very well for track use.

I bought mine from Discount Tire Direct and paid $600 delivered to my house. DTD offers free shipping and only took 5 days to get them.
Originally Posted by spdislife
And another vote here.
I just went with the NT05s from Discount Tire Direct. With the $50 off special they're running this weekend I paid $820 shipped for a set of 295/35ZR18s and 275/40ZR17s to mount on Z06 Speedlines.

I rarely drive in rain and don't put too many miles on the car. I also bought a set of 2001 Alcoas for track use and will get some r-compounds when my skills get a little better.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to decide between the NT05, PS Cup, or go off the board with NT01/R888.

I'll post results when they're on the car!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to decide between the NT05, PS Cup, or go off the board with NT01/R888.

I'll post results when they're on the car!

Though I haven't driven them, I am told the PS Cup are fantastic tires. They will also wear a bit faster than the NT05 from what I'm told and are a bit more expensive, so be sure to keep that in mind when budgeting. The NT01 has very good reviews and will last about the same as the PS Cup. God help you if you get caught in the rain on the NT01.

I would run from the R888, as most people I talk to aren't huge fans of the Toyo tires. The people I see that run them at the track HAVE to run them because of spec rules in their racing class.

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:31 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Kumho ECSTA XS is a great tire. Use on my dad's 90 ZR-1 for about 2 years of heavy autocross use and a bit of street use.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have found the NT-05 to overheat and become unpredictable after a few laps. Perfectly ok for the street.

Personally I find the NT-01 is much more fun to drive and in my experience (although it is made by the same parent company) is vastly better than the Toyo 888.

Hankook RS3s are fast and last quite a while but are really bad in the wet.

Does anyone have any experience with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport? Not that expensive and the recent winner of a Car&Driver comparison test. Lots of sizes available.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Recommendation

Old 03-31-2013, 05:01 PM
Soloontario
Pro

I have found the NT-05 to overheat and become unpredictable after a few laps. Perfectly ok for the street.

Personally I find the NT-01 is much more fun to drive and in my experience (although it is made by the same parent company) is vastly better than the Toyo 888.

Does anyone have any experience with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport? Not that expensive and the recent winner of a Car&Driver comparison test. Lots of sizes available.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Soloontario

I use the Pilot Super Sport on the street and very happy with it. I also used it for a couple track days before moving to R Comps.

Not sure what you mean by not very expensive. I have a widebody and it was $1800 all in for all four tires and that was the best deal I can get. Probably not as bad on a base model. Tires on my care cost an arm and a leg because they are so big.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Soloontario
Pro

I use the Pilot Super Sport on the street and very happy with it. I also used it for a couple track days before moving to R Comps.

Not sure what you mean by not very expensive. I have a widebody and it was $1800 all in for all four tires and that was the best deal I can get. Probably not as bad on a base model. Tires on my care cost an arm and a leg because they are so big.
Sorry Mark, you are correct that the bigger sizes are huge bucks. OTOH the smaller sizes are no worse price wise than Hankook RS3s or BFG rivals.

How did you find the Michelins on the track? The Car&Driver test was just autocross meaning heat build up was not an issue. Interesting to know how they handle more serious heat. (The Hankooks do that moderately well and I don't think we really know yet about the BFGs)

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation