Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had an HPDE itch for 5 months

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:19 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I've had an HPDE itch for 5 months

What's the longest period between your HPDE events?
My last HPDE was at VIR in Oct.
Going to NJMP in April to take care of my HPDE itch. Hooked On Driving is running the event. I plan on having some fun. It's going to be my first time on Thunderbolt and The event is being sponsored by Modern Mopar and JDS.

Checking my ego in. Signed up for group one being a new track and 5 months since last HPDE. Hope last years HPDE training pays off and I get bumped up or signed off to move up for next time.

Time to put the track pads on and flush the brake fluid.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:25 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Try reading my Track Day Blog. Both parts are posted now. I'm getting ready for Sebring next month. The past decade took a toll on my car. I replaced the starter and and the clutch hydrualics. Of course that meant the exhaust had to come off the left side. Oh well.

The first few events never cause any real wear problems. After a few years though the car feels it.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I generally go about 4 months but get distracted by skiing for several months so no withdrawal symptoms. I'm more than fine with 4 mo. I'm not that fond of cold weather events.

Where's global warming when you need it?

Jim
Old 03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
RallyeChris
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last track event for me was back in October/November? My first event this year (and first event in my C5 Z06). I have been a long-time BMW guy. Just picked-up the Z for a change in equipment. I will be instructing at the NJMP event with BMWCCA April 8-9.

I spent the last 2 months getting the car ready. Fresh fluids throughout, Hawk DTCs, Johnny Oconnell Stage 1 suspension, Nitto NT05s...

It's going to be a fun season.

Chris
Old 03-26-2013, 03:28 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am coming to hate the northeast. I typically go from around Sept to April. First event for me this year is Summit with BMW CCA 4/19-21.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never minded the breaks. After several years, it was good for my bank account.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:22 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I am coming to hate the northeast. I typically go from around Sept to April. First event for me this year is Summit with BMW CCA 4/19-21.
Head south. Only month I took off was January. We had good weather weekends in every other month down here. Gotta love global warming.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your frustration northern boys I did VIR February 2012 and it snowed on that Sunday You guys living down south just make me jealous. If I every get to retire I might just try traveling to all those tracks down south one winter.

Welcome to the corvette club Habbastadchris. your going to like the JOC stage 1 kit. Put one on my base C6. Now I just need to put a stronger leaf spring up front.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Zak77
Racer

It's been about 5 months for me as well. My last event was a 3 day one with the RTR PCA at Summit Point. Well I've only done 2 HPDE's and both were at Summit so I cannot wait to hit some other tracks this year. Watkins is already in my calendar but looking to do as many as possible. Should be getting some additional XP10's and XP8's and some more brake fluid soon. Replaced the tired old F45 suspension with coilovers during the winter. I did an autocross a few weeks ago but after you do HPDE's, autocrosses are not nearly as much fun as they use to be.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Last event for me was May 2010.... My car is almost finished though. I can see myself doing one this year!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I generally go about 4 months but get distracted by skiing for several months so no withdrawal symptoms. I'm more than fine with 4 mo. I'm not that fond of cold weather events.

Where's global warming when you need it?

Jim
Or rain mixed with cold events
Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

A loooonnnnggg tunnel of cabin fever here. But, there is light at the end of the tunnel - less than 2 weeks till Putnam Park.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Indoor karting helps pass the time.....
Old 03-28-2013, 01:17 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I haven't been since last Sept due to motor and winter issues. Car has been ready for a few weeks, just nothing going on at VIR/RA until May. I would like to do Daytona in April, but not comfortable going there after a 6 month layoff.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 PM
gomrf
Heel & Toe

How about running the 2.5 mile IMSA course with the NJ Audi Club??? May 3rd!
Instructors run for free! Student fee is only $195.00...
Thanks Guys!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by V4kerker
What's the longest period between your HPDE events?
My last HPDE was at VIR in Oct.
Going to NJMP in April to take care of my HPDE itch. Hooked On Driving is running the event. I plan on having some fun. It's going to be my first time on Thunderbolt and The event is being sponsored by Modern Mopar and JDS.

Checking my ego in. Signed up for group one being a new track and 5 months since last HPDE. Hope last years HPDE training pays off and I get bumped up or signed off to move up for next time.

Time to put the track pads on and flush the brake fluid.
My last event was October as well, since then I've been recovering and gathering parts to keep the car alive and well for another season of beatdowns. I took a different approach than you though since everybody will be rusty and asked for an HPDE3 check ride. It's the easiest of the local tracks, but I've never run it in reverse before. The worst they can say is no and they won't sign me off if I'm not ready so what the hell, right?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Originally Posted by Zak77
It's been about 5 months for me as well. My last event was a 3 day one with the RTR PCA at Summit Point. Well I've only done 2 HPDE's and both were at Summit so I cannot wait to hit some other tracks this year. Watkins is already in my calendar but looking to do as many as possible. Should be getting some additional XP10's and XP8's and some more brake fluid soon. Replaced the tired old F45 suspension with coilovers during the winter. I did an autocross a few weeks ago but after you do HPDE's, autocrosses are not nearly as much fun as they use to be.
I'm going to The Glen for the first time this year as well. I'm doing my first Chin event there in May. What group are you going with?

Get notified of new replies

To I've had an HPDE itch for 5 months

Quick Reply: I've had an HPDE itch for 5 months