Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State Farm and Track Events

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default State Farm and Track Events

State Farm's new (1/1/13) auto policy form in California clearly excludes coverage, both liability and collision, for high speed driving of any type on a track designed for racing or high speed driving. The language is much broader than earlier policy provisions, and seems to me to contemplate HPDE events. Oh well.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post the exclusion.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone that really believes that a standard coverage policy would cover any on-track incident or closed course "event" needs to put the pipe down.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Might be a state exclusion, ie all insurance coverage is void. Zed06 is right on. Your on your own.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Not if you are a resident of NC. I have had several buddies have damage repaired by their normal insurance company when they were doing DEs. Racing no, but DEs yes. It is a NC state exclusion.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 AM
turbrorx7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Anything on AAA or another provider that covers HPDEs? Or cars with racing seats/6point harnesses?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 AM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brkntrxn, thanks for posting that. I live in NC but had just assumed my insurance wouldn't cover track days. Maybe I should look at my policy a little closer and talk to my agent. I was thinking about buying track insurance next time I do hpde, think I'll look into this a bit first!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
Brkntrxn, thanks for posting that. I live in NC but had just assumed my insurance wouldn't cover track days. Maybe I should look at my policy a little closer and talk to my agent. I was thinking about buying track insurance next time I do hpde, think I'll look into this a bit first!
Be careful about talking to your agent or underwriter about obtaining coverage for high performance driving. I have heard stories about guys who had their entire policies canceled just by inquiring about the additional coverage.

When you inquire, they automatically conclude that you are a higher risk.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 PM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll stick to researching on my own instead of talking with my agent.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:46 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think about it, doing risky things such as HPDE etc. should NOT be covered by regular auto insurance. Why should others cover you for an on-track incident. I don't have insurance for my car on the track. I am fully aware that something might happen, my fault, your fault, nobody's fault.... stuff happens.

I just don't think it's right that track incidents should be covered by regular car insurance. Now that being said, would I take re-imbursement for my car if it was offered? sure I would. If I wad up my Z Mamma is gonna be REAL PI$$ED.

Just my .02 worth.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:28 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
Be careful about talking to your agent or underwriter about obtaining coverage for high performance driving. I have heard stories about guys who had their entire policies canceled just by inquiring about the additional coverage.

Happened to me
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

after a helluva time getting my home-owners insurance this year, even living in NC, I wouldn't DARE actually making a Claim unless you absolutely can't afford the repair. You likely will be rated forever, and almost surely dropped by your carrier after the claim.

All insurance is going to low coverage/high deductibles so that they really don't have to make anything except total-loss payments!!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

State Farm in Tennessee dropped all coverage on the track by a disclaimer back a couple of years ago. I dropped coverage on my Z06 since it is relegated to track use only. I had to sign this, then that, then this over and over again stating no use on street for that car. Had I not had several policies with them, they would have probably dropped me altogether. Reflecting back on it, I should have just told them I was parting the car out and drop coverage that way. They had even refunded my umbrella premium and dropped that coverage when I stopped payment on the Z. Silence is golden.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Not if you are a resident of NC. I have had several buddies have damage repaired by their normal insurance company when they were doing DEs. Racing no, but DEs yes. It is a NC state exclusion.
Same here in MO...I know of insurance replacement for a HPDE for at least 2 totalled cars.

I've read my policy and check with my agent...It only does not cover "timed events"...that's why our local PCA and BMWCA pretty much ban stop watches at events.

...now who needs to put the pipe down????
Old 03-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

My agent respects the fact that he is risking me dropping coverage on 5 cars and my home, not to mention my mother's cars/home.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

I have a policy with Travelers in Texas. I read every word of the exclusions. They say nothing about driving events, timed events or even racing, which I was absolutely shocked by. They have the usual exclusions for deliberate acts, committing a crime, etc... But not a thing about DE, racing, timed events, etc... Someone clearly missed that when putting together the exclusions. Hope I never have to call them out on that!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

USAA is one company that supposedly does this.

Many tracks offer separate insurance coverage for HPDE/track days. Check with the track or the hosting organization. Some of these policies can run to something like $150-$175 but it may be worth it considering how much damage could be done from a high-speed "incident"!

Get notified of new replies

To State Farm and Track Events

Old 03-30-2013, 02:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
YES We are good to go for here in NC.

and NO timing equipment in the car.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
USAA is one company that supposedly does this.

Many tracks offer separate insurance coverage for HPDE/track days. Check with the track or the hosting organization. Some of these policies can run to something like $150-$175 but it may be worth it considering how much damage could be done from a high-speed "incident"!
I usually buy HPDE insurance at ontrackinsurance.com. There are several other companies that offer it. Can buy for several events at a time and save a little money.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 PM
TJM
Drifting

Allan... Man.. Insurance Actuarial Types wet themselves over these things...

I have had all sorts of people.. tell me " MY Insurance" cover me it's education".... ...

Ok......

It is a morbid hobby of mine, for three years now, calling the ones that "DO" .

Once you make it clear your on a RACE TRACK, it is a solid NO.

State Farm, Geico, Farm Bureau [ Ga and Fla] , Allstate .. a couple others?

So when the Ka Ka hits the fan [ you hit the wall] facts is your going to find out just which clause in all that Lawyer-eze ... [ sorry, but your retired] ... is the one that they will hang their Corporate Hat on.....

Good luck fighting them.

The waiver is your insurance it insures you pay for your own screw up.

TJM

Quick Reply: State Farm and Track Events