Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Saving attempts question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Default Weight Saving attempts question

Guys, could use a little help or advice. In trying to lighten my car for NASA ST2 class, I have come across 2 items that I don't know what they are or what they do, and if they are essential to keep or not. the first is the door module which is presently mounted on the bottom of my doors, but I don't think this was the stock location. Can they be eliminated on a race car without negatively affecting the operation of the car? similarly, there is a module box presently at the dirvers side rear of the car in a well compartment. The box is about 5 or 6 inches square, and about an inch think with a serious bundle of wires coming out of it, and going into a rubber grommet on the rear side of the fender and disappearing toward the front of the car. Same question, essential? Concerned that I might lose tail lights, fuel pump, or some other critical function. Thanks in advance. Jerry
Old 04-10-2013, 03:42 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't need the door control module things, removal has the same effect (i.e. none) of removing the seat control module.
Can you take a pic of that other box? I don't think my car has one, based on what you are describing.
Fuel pump is controlled up front, taillights are controlled by your hazard switch (center brake light is controlled by the ABS computer).
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 AM
jstout
Drifting

the rear box is sitting down in a well at the very back of the car on drivers side. the wire bundle comiing out of it goes directly forward into a rubber grommet (large one) on the rear of the fender down low and looks to head toward the front of the car. I will have access to a lift next week, and be able to see where the wires go. Jerry
Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 AM
jstout
Drifting

Forgot to mention my car is a 98 fastback. Jerry
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like your car came with F45 - select ride. Does/did it have a controller on the shifter console for select ride? If so that's the control module for the select ride shocks - I'm assuming that since it's a track car you have already ditched the factory shocks, However if everything is still stock then you would have to program out the select ride with a Tech 2 (if you didn't the car would be limited to 85 mph.)
The other option was to get shock simulators - if simulators are installed then you would probably have an issue if you pulled the module, then you would have to do the Tech 2 thing to program out select ride.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I still have those rectangular boxes, along with the wiring harnesses in my doors, but they aren't connected to anything in the door. The other end of the harnesses go through the door into the car somewhere into the body and they're still connected.

Do those harnesses have to be disconnected somewhere in the body or can the harness just be cut at the door frame without any ill effects to the car?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
I still have those rectangular boxes, along with the wiring harnesses in my doors, but they aren't connected to anything in the door. The other end of the harnesses go through the door into the car somewhere into the body and they're still connected.

Do those harnesses have to be disconnected somewhere in the body or can the harness just be cut at the door frame without any ill effects to the car?
you can dump the door harnesses at the connection on the A pillar and be good to go.

then you can trace that harness back even farther and dump it
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

The best reason to trace back harnesses and delete them is because orphan wiring sometimes has power running through it which can lead to electrical fires and short circuits. We have enough problems with our racecars and don't need that issue too.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
you can dump the door harnesses at the connection on the A pillar and be good to go.

then you can trace that harness back even farther and dump it
I was hunting for the connection, but didn't see one easily accessible. I guess I just need to look farther.

FBB, I know what you mean about the orphans. I try to find and label everything I can and cap off any loose ends to avoid the hazards you mentioned.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I was hunting for the connection, but didn't see one easily accessible. I guess I just need to look farther.\
from the door it just goes through the rubber boot on the door, into the hollow A pillar frame post. Inside there are the connectors
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

from the door it just goes through the rubber boot on the door, into the hollow A pillar frame post. Inside there are the connectors

Great, I'll try to locate that when I get the car out of the garage.

Thanks, Mark!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
jstout
Drifting

I am constantly amazed, and very appreciative or the excellent advice and willingness to share it on the forum. Mark and others, thanks so much. You have made my processes much easier and less stressful. jerry Stout
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jstout
I am constantly amazed, and very appreciative or the excellent advice and willingness to share it on the forum. Mark and others, thanks so much. You have made my processes much easier and less stressful. jerry Stout
Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to mention my car is a 98 fastback. Jerry
The box in the back is probably the EBCM. In 97 and 98 they were in the back of the car. In 99 they moved it to the front near the PS pump.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 AM
jstout
Drifting

What exactly is the ecbm? Is that something that is essential? It sounds essential. This car did have the selective ride control. I was hoping that is what this box was. It now has coilovers so ride control apparatus is not needed any longer. Jerry
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly is the ecbm? Is that something that is essential? It sounds essential. This car did have the selective ride control. I was hoping that is what this box was. It now has coilovers so ride control apparatus is not needed any longer. Jerry
ECBM (Electronic Control Brake Module) runs ABS - so you need it. On the ones I know of all that is under the car attached to the rear cradle I think. But model years do vary. The GM shop manual, by year, will show you the layout of each system (once you figure out where in the ^&*_)()&*& it is)

Last edited by varkwso; 04-15-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Found the connectors and have unplugged them, and taped over the ends left in the car.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Weight Saving attempts question

Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 AM
geerookie
Drifting

..........and taped over the ends left in the car.

Thanks!
All that work to remove weight and you go and add some back in!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by geerookie
All that work to remove weight and you go and add some back in!

It was real thin tape.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
geerookie
Drifting

It was real thin tape.
That really thin stuff will work for protecting connectors but not against pregnancy.

Quick Reply: Weight Saving attempts question