Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bring "Parts Car" To Race!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM
rynoracer32
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bring "Parts Car" To Race!

To ensure you have every part you need, and that a little $2 part does not keep you from competing, bring an entire "Parts Car" to the Race.
Check out this great article in the new May issue of Speed News Magazine.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:40 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought an entire parts track car, but I obviously don't haul it around with me.
It has been extremely useful and has saved me tons of money over the last year and I sold all the crap that I didn't need. I finally sold the bare chassis this weekend.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Chuck Mallet used to do that for the One Lap of America. GM would loan him a press car. The press car would follow and if anything broke they would change it in the middle of the night at some dark rest stop along the interstate.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

The driver I crewed for in the 80's, was hired to drive in a couple of the old IMSA Firehawk, showroom stock endurance series races.

The team raced 2 Camaro Z28's, and was owned and sponsored by a Chevrolet dealer. Besides the 2 Camaro race cars, the dealer provided them with a brand new Z28, to take to all of the races as a parts car. It came in very handy at the 24 Hour Watkins Glen race!

I always wondered what the dealer did with the parts car, when the season was over. The car was never driven, so it had no miles on it, but it did get cannibalized at the track a few times. I hope they didn't put it back out on their lot, as a new car?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

In the good old days we brought extra engines, transmissions, rear ends, a lot of body parts and an extra car. Once in Kansas I blew three engines before qualifying was over. We went home with one good engine in the truck! Two engines were my fault, one had a loose line that cooked it!

You can outrun everything but money!

Jim
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

But how OLD and how GOOD are the parts from this so called "parts car?"
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

A few years back Spirit of Daytona had two Camaros at the Rolex. One blew up every early. Instead of putting it away they put it behind the pit box. Ten laps from the end they had a huge lead with the 2nd Camaro and the rear end blew. They pulled the rear out of the blown car and won the Rolex by just about a lap.

Richard Newton
Facebook

Get notified of new replies

To Bring "Parts Car" To Race!

Quick Reply: Bring "Parts Car" To Race!