Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed for member doing One Lap of America

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Default Help needed for member doing One Lap of America

I'm posting up for forum member Chris (forum ID: fmcokc).

He's doing the One Lap of America event and is on my home track today here in Daytona, so he's got very limited Internet access, and he asked me to post a question.

Chris has a stock 2009 Z06 and was running around the high bank section shifting from 4th to 5th and the tach dropped to zero and he got a "Service Active Handling" message. The car went into a limp mode and isn't making power.

So....does anybody have any experience with a problem like this, or any ideas where to start to fix it???

Chris says he's had the service AH recall done.

With the tach dropping to zero (and apparently staying there) my first thought is that a ground may be faulty, but I have no idea where to start looking for loose ground wires.

If anybody has any good ideas give Chris a call at: 405-204-3576

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM
fastrash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

relayed this to Danny Popp - he may know
Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi all,

We got the car running by pulling the battery ground and reset the codes. There seems to be no ill affects because everything is working. abs, traction control, stability control, etc... At this point I just want to what could have caused it and should I be looking to replace something. It happened right at my shift from 4 to 5 so I might have touched the rev limiter but I don't think so.

And info is much appreciated since I am living in a car basically this week.

PS: before this occurred we were in 10th place overall with a stock Z06 going up against a lot of GTR's and Viper's.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you disconnected the battery, were you able to start the engine?

I just had something similar happen to me, and one of my sensors near the back engine block(passenger side) slipped off its mount and shorted out. My car went into limp mode, AH handling warning came on as well as the engine light. After shutting off the car, I was unable to restart the car even after disconnecting the battery for a while. My mechanic diagnosed it pretty quick and said mine was a very rare case for it to happen. He added some zip ties to prevent it from falling off and hopefully, that will prevent it from happening again.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Chris - glad you got everything working!!

If you were shifting from 4th->5th you wouldn't hit the rev limiter unless you were running up past 160 mph.

Like yours, my car is a stock Z06 (2006).

Coming out of NASCAR T2 and down the SuperStretch, if there's no traffic to deal with I usually exceed 160 by a few mph when hitting the brake zone for the Bus Stop - and in that case I need to shift to 5th.

If there's traffic coming out of the infield that might not allow a good run onto the banking, I might be just approaching 160 into the brake zone. In that case I may not shift into 5th, and occasionally bump the rev limiter.

Coming out of NASCAR T4 I'll often short shift into 5th at 6500 or 6600 because the car pulls so strong in 5th and I know I'll exceed 160 - with no traffic my car will do 175+ into the brake zone for the turn into the infield.

I've hit the rev limiter quite a number of times over the years, and it's never hurt anything.

So....I doubt bumping the rev limiter would have done anything at all.

Good luck during the rest of the event!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-07-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:09 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

While I cannot speak for a C6Z06, my C5Z06 has gone into Limp Mode in multiple races over the past couple of years when I either held it against the rev limiter in 3rd or hit the rev limiter between the 3-4 shift. Again, not sure if the C6Z06 acts the same way but it has happened to me multiple times in my car.

In all instances, I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery and with no ill effects.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Originally Posted by skxf430
Before you disconnected the battery, were you able to start the engine?
Yes, but it cranked for approximately 3-5 seconds before it started.

I just had something similar happen to me, and one of my sensors near the back engine block(passenger side) slipped off its mount and shorted out. My car went into limp mode, AH handling warning came on as well as the engine light. After shutting off the car, I was unable to restart the car even after disconnecting the battery for a while. My mechanic diagnosed it pretty quick and said mine was a very rare case for it to happen. He added some zip ties to prevent it from falling off and hopefully, that will prevent it from happening again.
Is there any way that you can send me a phone number for him so I can ask him what to check for?

Thanks all

Chris Lewis
chris@firstcompanies.net
405-204-3576
Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hey Chris - glad you got everything working!!

If you were shifting from 4th->5th you wouldn't hit the rev limiter unless you were running up past 160 mph.
My data says that the top speed for that lap was 152 so I would assume that's the speed at which it occurred.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fmcokc
Yes, but it cranked for approximately 3-5 seconds before it started.

Is there any way that you can send me a phone number for him so I can ask him what to check for?

Thanks all

Chris Lewis
chris@firstcompanies.net
405-204-3576

Ask to speak with Donny in service at Rydell Chevy (866) 697-5167

I cannot recall the error codes on mine but my car would not even crank. It was dead but Donny diagnosed it pretty quickly.

Good luck!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Well it happened again today at CMP but we had a code reader and it said crank sensor. We are at the dealer in Columbia SC right now getting it replaced
Old 05-08-2013, 02:19 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

That was my issue as well, except my car was completely dead.

They replaced my sensor, and used some zip ties to prevent it from moving around on its mounting point. Hopefully, my issue has been solved.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:53 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Any update?
Old 05-24-2013, 02:40 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Crank sensor was replaced and it seemed to run better...right up to the point about three hours later when the alternator finally failed. We think the alternator or probably more specifically the voltage regulator was doing wacky things all along causing the problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Chris - thanks for the follow up!!

How was the whole OLOA experience?

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed for member doing One Lap of America

Quick Reply: Help needed for member doing One Lap of America