Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TT3: weight vs. hp vs. aero

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TT3: weight vs. hp vs. aero

Hey all, I'm looking for some educated opinions on what direction to take my TT3 C5Z. I'm currently at 3351 lbs w/ driver & 359 rwhp. This puts me at 9.43 lbs/hp with the +.1 modifier for being over 3350 lbs. Since TT3 can go up to 9 lbs/hp, here are the options I'm thinking:

- Lightweight: Shed 200 lbs to 3150 and tune the engine down to 350 rwhp
- Aero: Tune the engine down 3hp to 356 and add aero (-.5 modifier)
- Power: Add an intake and tune the engine up 13 hp to 372 rwhp.

I know a lot of guys would recommend #1 since weight helps w/ acceleration, cornering, and braking, but I'm trying to optimize for NASA Nationals at MMP's outer ring which has a long straight (2/3 mile) and a lot of high speed sweepers, so aero/power might not be a bad bet.

Any opinions from the gurus out there? Can definitely see advantages / disadvantages to each and would love to hear from practical experience.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Tough call. I just got back from MMP for my first visit there in my ST2 car. I was down on power and running at 9:1 (355 hp, 3250 lbs). My car has aero, but I also raced T1 for a couple years so I know how to race with no aero. My opinion for TT3 would be to run 350 +/- hp and aero at 9.5. Aero will definitely help at Miller. In TT, you don't have to worry about racing so you can carry momentum decreasing the need for power. The extra weight won't really punish your tires since you only need a couple hot laps. However, aero is a big commitment financially and from a setup standpoint. Be prepared to spend some time getting it right unless you spend the cash on a proven aero package.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 AM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Yep, definitely recognize the commitment involved with Aero. I kinda like the option though since it gives a lot of flexibility down the road on power/weight if I wanted to bump up to TT2/ST2 (i.e. easier to adjust power/weight once I get aero settled).

I guess my biggest concern is drag on the straight since it's so long. However, I'm betting the extra momentum going into the high speed sections could offset potential loss from drag.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:17 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do the cheapest option then spend the extra cash on tires.

I would rather have two sets of sticker tires than Aero and scrubs.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FuriousDonuts
Hey all, I'm looking for some educated opinions on what direction to take my TT3 C5Z. I'm currently at 3351 lbs w/ driver & 359 rwhp. This puts me at 9.43 lbs/hp with the +.1 modifier for being over 3350 lbs. Since TT3 can go up to 9 lbs/hp, here are the options I'm thinking:

- Lightweight: Shed 200 lbs to 3150 and tune the engine down to 350 rwhp
- Aero: Tune the engine down 3hp to 356 and add aero (-.5 modifier)
- Power: Add an intake and tune the engine up 13 hp to 372 rwhp.

I know a lot of guys would recommend #1 since weight helps w/ acceleration, cornering, and braking, but I'm trying to optimize for NASA Nationals at MMP's outer ring which has a long straight (2/3 mile) and a lot of high speed sweepers, so aero/power might not be a bad bet.

Any opinions from the gurus out there? Can definitely see advantages / disadvantages to each and would love to hear from practical experience.
detune IMHO. You want a 9:1 car the entire operating rpm range, not just a dome shaped hp "peak". Flatten the hp curve so it's ~350 hp flat, and weight/ballast the car up to that.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The best set-up for TT3 at Miller IMO would be to go light and add aero - you would also be better off running 275's for TT.

TT3 9.0 +.5 for aero -.4 for 275's = 9.1

Get the car down to 3151 and run at 346 rwhp as long as possible by detuning. So in reality I guess I would say do all 3, it sounds counter productive to add hp just to pull it away but you need to focus on low end torque and try to make tq as soon as possible and then kill top end hp.

We'll be at Miller this year defending our TTS Championship and making a go at ST2 again (2nd last year) - hope to see you there!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

We don't really know for sure this year if the aero is worth the loss of power. If you can lose the weight realistically, I'd do #1 first, then if you add aero later, put the weight back in (but low and right/rear for bias).

So far there seems to be very small car counts regardless, and the aero question is yet to be answered. Even then, a wing is easy, but getting enough aero in the front the NEED the wing isn't as easy as it may seem!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bet is on a 9.5 aero car for mmp. It is a Wilson design so lots of turns before any straights with no real sweepers.

Other option is detune and get it as light as you can for 275 tires.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:38 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Appreciate all the responses, gents - lot's of wisdom here. I'm thinking I'll take your suggestions by adding an intake and detune to 350 in order to get as flat of a torque/hp curve as possible, while trying to drop weight to 3,150. That gives options to add aero & ballast, power & ballast, or keep as-is if it's running well. Now to get over the mental barrier of ditching the interior!

TT3 9.0 +.5 for aero -.4 for 275's = 9.1
Hadn't thought about running 275's to pick up the +.4... interesting idea that I'll have to mull over.

We'll be at Miller this year defending our TTS Championship and making a go at ST2 again (2nd last year) - hope to see you there!
Awesome!! There are quite a few locals on the forum, including sponsors Pfadt & JDP. We should try to organize some kind of CF meetup / dinner. I'm sure we can put together a good time. At the very least, I'll see if I can bring out my BBQ and try to get the party started at my trailer - all are welcome.

Last edited by FuriousDonuts; 05-08-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Your fast enough, don't worry about changes
Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,749 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I would make it as light as you can and leave the aero off. Weight is felt everywhere but power is only felt on the straights. 275 tires and lighter is what I am focusing on for my C4.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
I would make it as light as you can and leave the aero off. Weight is felt everywhere but power is only felt on the straights. 275 tires and lighter is what I am focusing on for my C4.

Mechanical grip needs to be maximized. Spend the money you would spend on aero for the best coilover suspension you can buy.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:01 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Originally Posted by z06801
Your fast enough, don't worry about changes
...says the man chasing down GT3 cup cars . Btw, I finally hit 2:09 - last lap of the last session of the weekend. Felt good to get that 2:10 monkey off my back!

Originally Posted by geerookie
Mechanical grip needs to be maximized. Spend the money you would spend on aero for the best coilover suspension you can buy.
Oh, that ship sailed a long time ago. And by ship I mean $$$. And by sailed I mean flew out of my pocket. Priorities up until this point have been:

1- Safety
2- Driver Time
3- Cooling
4- Suspension/Tires
5- Brakes

And are now transitioning into:

6- Weight
7- Aero
8- Power
9- ...
10- Profit??

Granted some of these will never be finished, but it's the general idea
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, that ship sailed a long time ago. And by ship I mean $$$. And by sailed I mean flew out of my pocket.
Do you have spherical bearings at all pivot points?
Relocated upper pickup points?
Roll cage that ties into the chassis at the A pillars, B/C pillar and trans tunnel to provide maximum torsional stiffness?
These are all part of the best suspension money can buy.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

...says the man chasing down GT3 cup cars . Btw, I finally hit 2:09 - last lap of the last session of the weekend. Felt good to get that 2:10 monkey off my back!

Oh, that ship sailed a long time ago. And by ship I mean $$$. And by sailed I mean flew out of my pocket. Priorities up until this point have been:

1- Safety
2- Driver Time
3- Cooling
4- Suspension/Tires
5- Brakes

And are now transitioning into:

6- Weight
7- Aero
8- Power
9- ...
10- Profit??

Granted some of these will never be finished, but it's the general idea