Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on LS1 part selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Help on LS1 part selection

I've searched and searched and ended up more confused, so here is the situation:
I have a 99 FRC that is exclusively a track car; I'm caging it this summer for race group in NASA and some other organizations. It has Kooks LT headers and a custom intake because the radiator was laid forward for cooling. The intake is a hard pipe running to the driver former headlight area. It has 91k miles and is 100% stock; I got it at 89000 and it makes 317 hp and 328 torque. The torque is over 300 at 2k rpm and I asked when it was tuned to maximize the torque curve.
I originally planned to run it until it died and put an ls3 or a ls6 in it. The z06s are hard to find so that's out, so maybe a built motor from MTI, TPS, etc. However I can get a 04 z06 cam for very cheap (maybe free) and I have a bbk 78 or 80 mil throttle body I got on some trading (I don't have the TB with me but I think it is 78).
I could put the cam in and do nothing else.
I could port my current intake manifold and heads and put on the bbk (or port the stock TB)
I could put the cam in and buy a zo6 intake and head but this looks pricey.

Essentially I'm trying to figure out the cost benefit ratio of cheaply making the motor breath better. I know that there are better cams, intakes and better heads but I'm looking at the cheapest route for the best result. I'll give up 20 hp to save $1k.
Thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Something doesn't sound right. My '99 FRC made 346 at the wheels with Kooks headers, a Breathless Performance intake and a tune. Too large of an intake tube (diameter) running that length is a horsepower killer (ask Doug rippie).
I have a set of 241 heads with PAC1218 valve springs if you're looking for a few ponies cheap. I'd sell them for what I paid which was $150 for the pair. I bought them from a forum member, but never used them.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:57 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In order to support the LS6 cam, you may want to invest in lighter valves? Think that was one thing the LS6 did different from LS1.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Sperkins I think you're on to something with the intake. I'll let you know on the heads, I appreciate the offer.

Get notified of new replies

To Help on LS1 part selection

Quick Reply: Help on LS1 part selection