Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kognition wings

Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Kognition wings

Does anyone have experience with these on a C5Z06? When my wing broke in Saturdays TT, Les from Airpower brought me over a 70" Kognition wing, threw it on before the race on Sunday seemed to have a lot of drag at the angle we had it on. It does look like a well made piece, but Can't seem to get their website up to find info on it. Thanks for any help
Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is one on my friend's car. As we gather more data on it, we will report results. It looks like a short chord, extreme wing. Thus, low attack angles might be better until you can figure out where it stalls. Also, as with all wings, getting it to the proper height is critical.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

I think that Jody, "Falcon" is running one on his C5? PM him!! JD
Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I just bought one. Only took 4 months and a ton of lies from the owner to get it to me.
I don't care how good it is, I wouldn't recommend one to anyone.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yakisoba
There is one on my friend's car. As we gather more data on it, we will report results. It looks like a short chord, extreme wing. Thus, low attack angles might be better until you can figure out where it stalls. Also, as with all wings, getting it to the proper height is critical.
Start at 9*. Then work your way up. Don't let the straights determine the AOA, the corners and braking is where it does the work, so obviously total lap time is what to go for.

I know on certain tracks (Roebling) it was slow on the straight, but faster than hell through the back part of the track, but you have to have enough front downforce to balance it out. I think I had it at 11* there, and that was too much, I could have backed off, and gotten quicker.

I also learned at Roebling that the configuration for qualifying will be entirely different than the racing configuration.

Do you have the chart showing the D/F - Drag at various angles?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by z06801
Does anyone have experience with these on a C5Z06? When my wing broke in Saturdays TT, Les from Airpower brought me over a 70" Kognition wing, threw it on before the race on Sunday seemed to have a lot of drag at the angle we had it on. It does look like a well made piece, but Can't seem to get their website up to find info on it. Thanks for any help
See my above post, I accidentally posted on the wrong post.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:31 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Five of us in Socal purchased this wing earlier this year. We've run them in 3 events so far this year. We haven't collected any substantial data on it, but I can tell you a few things.

Performance
We are all running the ACP 4" splitter and vented hoods with the Kognition rear wing. We are running very low angles of attack, (<5 degrees when measured with an angle finder on top. I had it up to 9 degrees at Buttonwillow, which gave the car a slight push at high speed.

This past weekend at Willow Springs, I reduced the height of my wing by 8". There seemed to be no speed difference between me and Oli going down the straight, who had his 8 inches higher than me, above the roofline.

Kognition does provide downforce and drag numbers, just email them. I believe they are from CFD data, not wind tunnel. Some wing manufacturers do not provide either by the way. There is much debate out there on the data, apples to oranges arguments, which is why some refuse to disclose any data.

It should also be noted, that Chuck in his C6 was running the very expensive LG wing, which mounts very low. We all ran within .5 seconds of each other all weekend.

Construction
The build quality on the wing is very good. I reserve from stating excellent, due to a couple of our wings have trailing edges that vary up and down about 1/16". Looks like the trim was done by hand. It only affects taking AoA measurements at different span locations.

The wing is very light (<10 lbs), but is also a bit soft in the span wise direction. This is due to no spar and minimal skin thickness. If you grab the wing edge and pull down, you can see some deflection. However, we have had the wings up to 150mph at Auto Club Speedway.

And also, the end plates are far too thin. They flex and flap at high speed. I'm going to make thicker stiffer end plates for the next race.

Overall, I'm very happy with the wing given its price point. We are already lapping under T-1 times at our various tracks, in our ST-2 configurations.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jimtway
This past weekend at Willow Springs... There seemed to be no speed difference between me and Oli... who had his 8 inches higher than me....

I guess we are all pretty well endowed, just some more than others.

Here is some racing action of the wings at work. There was a lot of good racing in this race. I personally like minute 23:00 the best.

Last edited by Olitho; 05-13-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:06 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I just bought one. Only took 4 months and a ton of lies from the owner to get it to me.
I had some issues with the owner also. I ended up buying a wing from another company.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:17 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wing did you have that broke and how did it break? Only asking to see if there is some insight I can get into what kinds or situations cause these things to break.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the input guys this particular one was made for a Porsche Cup The mounts line up with the frame rails pretty good. I would have to make new uprights, we had to use some spacers to attach it which didn't help the effectiveness of the wing i wouldn't think. Barely got it on in time to go race. It was a outer loop event at Miller so I had the whole front straight to deal with, I could tell it was holding me back. From what I am hearing here I had way to much AOA. It's in good shape and I can buy it for 400.00 but it's not a deal if it doesn't work. Are they in business still? website seams dead.

Originally Posted by crease-guard
What wing did you have that broke and how did it break? Only asking to see if there is some insight I can get into what kinds or situations cause these things to break.
It was a APR 500, it had a crack in the front where the top and bottom halves meet, I should have repaired before but it allowed the two halves to sheer and bend down all the way to the deck lid. once stopped it almost still felt stiff enough to work. Actually tried to duct tape it for qualifying, didn't work surpize first hot lap down the front straight down it came, pitted out with with no time started the race at the back.
To APRs credit this wing was replace on warranty for a friend for this issue, I have no excuse for not fixing it before it went and it still might be repairable. It just looked like such a small crack d'oh!!

Last edited by z06801; 05-13-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
Start at 9*. Then work your way up. Don't let the straights determine the AOA, the corners and braking is where it does the work, so obviously total lap time is what to go for.

I know on certain tracks (Roebling) it was slow on the straight, but faster than hell through the back part of the track, but you have to have enough front downforce to balance it out. I think I had it at 11* there, and that was too much, I could have backed off, and gotten quicker.

I also learned at Roebling that the configuration for qualifying will be entirely different than the racing configuration.

Do you have the chart showing the D/F - Drag at various angles?
No I don't have any info on it at all
Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yakisoba
With the C5Zs crappy aero on the back window what would be the right height for this wing? within NASA ST rules
Old 05-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

No I don't have any info on it at all
www.kognitiondesign.com

Use your cell phone and measure the AOA.

I've got mine just a little (1 or 2 inches) above roof level. Wallyman and Ryan had theirs a good bit above the roof line (at the ST-2 max).

I'll try to scan the D/F - Drag sheet and post it.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
www.kognitiondesign.com

Use your cell phone and measure the AOA.

I've got mine just a little (1 or 2 inches) above roof level. Wallyman and Ryan had theirs a good bit above the roof line (at the ST-2 max).

I'll try to scan the D/F - Drag sheet and post it.
thanks That website will still not open for me for some reason. Is that an App for the cell phone? (found one thanks for the heads up.) to measure do you just lay a flat edge on top of the wing or do you take the end plate off and go from center of the the cord in front to trailing edge?

Last edited by z06801; 05-13-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Park,

I have an angle guage at garage.

I have lots of data on the GT Wing and it is similar to the Kognition in that being 2d and tends to like being in clean air. i.e roofline or above, especially on the Z rear deck.

My info tends to validate what others have seen with the Kognition.
probably 5-9 deg.

The GT end plates or APR end plates should work on the Kognition.

I also have some 12 in end plates if you want to try them.

I was happy with the GT wing on the old car.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Thanks JR sounds great, after getting a run on that 944 with the LS motor coming out of release on to the front straight last sunday, getting a fender past him then only to be beat in a drag race to T1, I seriously need to take a better look at drag on my car all ready working on closing down my front end a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Kognition wings

Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry to hear that Scott, when I purchased mine back in the fall of 2011 the service was good only took 2-3 weeks...
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 PM
zigspeed10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not good to hear. I just forked over the cash for one of these last week. He said it would take four weeks for delivery. I was feeling good about my purchase until now. Guess I'll find out In a few weeks.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 PM
zigspeed10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all of this wing discussion, let's talk mounting solutions. I'm going to use 5 X 3 angle bolted to the frame like some others have shown on the forum. Is there a need for any additional support in the way of an "X" between the uprights for side to side support or supports going forward to the cage for fore and aft support?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kognition wings