Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

obd2 scan tool/abs cycle

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:36 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default obd2 scan tool/abs cycle

I am in the market for a scan tool for my 2008 duramax. It would be nice if I could also use it to cycle the abs motor on my '99 FRC to bleed the abs module, but I have only heard of using a tech 2 for that. OTC, snap on, and matco all have what appear to be good obd 2 scanners for under $500 that also do some abs work, but I am not sure if they have the ability to cycle the abs motor. Is there a reasonably priced tool that will do that?
thanks,
-V
Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know about C5s and enhanced abs diagnostic codes and cycling ABS pumps but my research for a scan tool for my C6 turned up nothing:
- only a GM Tech2 can cycle the ABS pump
- only one company seemed to offer a tool to read the enhanced GM codes and it did not work on my 05 C6. It may be a matter of the 05 being a bastard year but Palmer Performace Engineering's ScanXL with enhanced GM Diags reported none of the GM codes. The company refunded my money and supposedly will ship me an update at some point to test it out so they do plan to address it as far as I can tell.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
I don't know about C5s and enhanced abs diagnostic codes and cycling ABS pumps but my research for a scan tool for my C6 turned up nothing:
- only a GM Tech2 can cycle the ABS pump
- only one company seemed to offer a tool to read the enhanced GM codes and it did not work on my 05 C6. It may be a matter of the 05 being a bastard year but Palmer Performace Engineering's ScanXL with enhanced GM Diags reported none of the GM codes. The company refunded my money and supposedly will ship me an update at some point to test it out so they do plan to address it as far as I can tell.
Not correct, there at least two others that can cycle the ABS on a C6.
I researched this about 6 mos ago. The price is probably still beyond what you want to spend, but a lot less than a tech2.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by db2xpert
Not correct, there at least two others that can cycle the ABS on a C6.
I researched this about 6 mos ago. The price is probably still beyond what you want to spend, but a lot less than a tech2.
Spill it, which two and how much? PPE was $230 so I don't doubt the others were in my budget, just curious.

Last edited by JerryTX; 05-16-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I would like to know as well.
There is a member here that goes by sjbrothers who I contacted a few years back. He said he made is own abs exerciser, but I have never heard back from him.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Why not just put the car on jackstand and run the rear wheels? It works on the C5 to activate the ABS like crazy.

BTW - I'm not a believer in the whole air trapped in the ABS pump stuff (used to be). I've replaced the entire unit twice with no Tech II and never had an issue.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Spill it, which two and how much? PPE was $230 so I don't doubt the others were in my budget, just curious.
Not hiding anything, just don't remember. They were out of my range since I already have a scanner that reads the codes.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
Why not just put the car on jackstand and run the rear wheels? It works on the C5 to activate the ABS like crazy.

BTW - I'm not a believer in the whole air trapped in the ABS pump stuff (used to be). I've replaced the entire unit twice with no Tech II and never had an issue.
Never had an issue on my C5, but did on the C6. Bled the heck out of the system, and could not fix the mushy brake, and lack of braking on the track. Had the ABS bled, and problem is fixed.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I have ease and spent a bit more to get the abs module. It cycles the pump just find, and lets you select which circuit.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:04 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

mgarfias, what year car? I contacted ease and they said they have nothing to cycle the '99 abs.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:14 PM
CeeFiveZee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins

What he said...
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Originally Posted by trackboss
mgarfias, what year car? I contacted ease and they said they have nothing to cycle the '99 abs.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by CeeFiveZee
What he said...
Does it cycle all the abs or just rear abs?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:06 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

All four channels.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I'd like to be able to cycle the abs while I'm bleeding the brakes. It's rarely needed to do so, but if something upstream of the abs module gets upened up or replaced there is a good chance air will get trapped in there.
The person I spoke with at ease actually looked deeper into it and called me back. He said he had one of the others there more familar with the product look into it further. The software is purchased from GM so there is a good chance it actually will cycle the abs on my car. I expect to be getting an answer tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

AutoEnginuity supposedly allows you to command the ABS and other functions just like the Tech2. I have been looking at it for several years but haven't had the need to purchase it yet. You will need a laptop, the AutoEnginuity base software package and the AutoEnginuity GM specific software package. The software and associated connecting cables/plugs will run you about $450 plus the cost of a good used laptop.

Bill
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Go down a dirt road and stomp on the brakes.

I have a friend who was a development engineer for Brembo. That's what he used to do on the cars he was working on. (Viper, Ford GT, ZR1, etc)

Get notified of new replies

To obd2 scan tool/abs cycle

Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Go down a dirt road and stomp on the brakes.

I have a friend who was a development engineer for Brembo. That's what he used to do on the cars he was working on. (Viper, Ford GT, ZR1, etc)
This is what I do, actually, but I find a wet spot (sprinkler overshoot) or a gritty spot, or I just jack it up hard enough to feel the abs (granted I don't know for sure if all 4 engage but it's worked for years.) I do all my own brake work.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:03 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

I had to replace the ABS pump, I really didn't like the idea of going out with that having been opened up and stomping on the brakes. Call me paranoid, but it was worth the cost of ease for peace of mind.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
AutoEnginuity supposedly allows you to command the ABS and other functions just like the Tech2. I have been looking at it for several years but haven't had the need to purchase it yet. You will need a laptop, the AutoEnginuity base software package and the AutoEnginuity GM specific software package. The software and associated connecting cables/plugs will run you about $450 plus the cost of a good used laptop.
Bill
I have the AutoEnginuity product with the enhanced GM software.
The ABS bleed is not fully functional and there tech support is working on the problem.
It cycles the ABS pump on a C5 and C6, opens the rear brake output solenoids, but does not open the front brake output solenoids.
So you can bleed the rear but not the front.
Right now AutoEnginuity does not have a C6 to test on so I am waiting since February for a fix.

Quick Reply: obd2 scan tool/abs cycle