Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Race Car Roll Cage Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 AM
kneedragger302
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vintage Race Car Roll Cage Question

I am considering building a Vintage Group 6 A/P or B/P Corvette and have some question regarding the Roll Cage install. I have built many different SCCA race cars (all were uni-body) and Im looking for advise. I have not decided on a coupe or roadster but that should not make a difference at this point. When building, the front and rear clips will be off the bird cage, but I do want to utilize the stock fiberglass floor pans and I guess thats where im getting confused. The factory pans are attached birdcage correct??? Are you guys mocking the cage up in the car, tacking it and finish welding out of the car? As to welding the cage to the frame, are you setting the cage through the bird cage/floor pans, and lifting the body up to gain access to the lower mounting plates. If any of you have pictures of these processes, it would be most helpful. Thanks for your advise in advance.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably already know this, but if you're going to tack inside the car, and weld it outside the car, be sure to jig it up or at least secure the mounting points to something completely rigid or your chances of fitting it back in without some serious massaging are slim...

On my C5, I had to remove the fuel tanks and ran the mid attach points down through the sheet metal at the rear of the tub to attach it to the frame. I'm not done with it yet but I'm gonna have to cut away access holes in the sheet metal bracing to complete the welding, then close them back up.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

What vintage Corvette are you talking about? Big difference in construction between C1, C2/C3, C4 and C5/C6.

Bill
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM
kneedragger302
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips, I do have every tacked and final welded with the chassis on jig. Sorry, should have specified, it will be a group 6 C3 bodied as a pre 72 car. I will be starting with a newer C3 automatic frame.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Race Car Roll Cage Question

Quick Reply: Vintage Race Car Roll Cage Question