Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlanta Motorsports Park HPDE, videos

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 12:47 PM
yow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Atlanta Motorsports Park HPDE, videos

I went to AMP last weekend (5/24-25/13) with Music City Mustang Club (out of Nashville) and had a blast. If you haven't driven it, make plans to. It's great. It's a bit slower than RA, but with even more elevation change. I absolutely loved it. My car (06 LS2 with A&A sc) is not ideally set up for this track. I need slicks, wider fronts (running 245s up front and 345s out back), and more camber (1.6f, 0.8 r). Despite my understeer issus, I feel like I put down a good time for being on street tires (1:37.24 on video).

I'd love some constructive criticism from anyone who wants to offer some. I want to be fast. I plan to do Putnam or Barber in October, more likely Putnam. Before then, I want to get track rims and slicks. The issue I have is that the previous owner did a wide body in the back, so I'm Z06 rears, but not the front, so I'm 18x8.5 up front. I need to figure out the widest/optimal size to run up front before getting rims. Any input would be appreciated.

Here are some videos:
My fastest lap session (third lap in video) -

My favorite camera position, at the ~10:20 mark a 67ish mustang goes off at turn one, right in front of me -

A fun run around with a Boss 302 with a seemingly competent driver -

Here are some pictures from the weekend. By the way, we brought our 5 week old baby girl Emmalyn. We walked her around the track, then on a parade lap, took her around the track in the truck. Is it ever too early to get her hooked on track?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like you are having fun! I have driven it a few times, I much prefer driving my race car there as to my c6z with street tires.

Took a quick look at your video, my only suggestion is that you open up the wheel and let the car track out, you are holding the car in tight in a few areas.

Tim
Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Haven't looked at the video, but it appears from the one photo you turned in to turn 1 about a quarter to a half car length too soon. And it may be the angle of the picture.
I try to get folks to all the way right and not turn in until the end of the right hand rumble strips. Once you turn in aim for the track out point, you'll open up the wheel quicker on that turn. You want to just touch the gap between the rumble strip and the track there. Sets you up a lot better for the start of the 2/3 turn complex.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:17 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great videos Eric. AMP looks like a lot of fun. I'm thinking about the HOD event on Sept 20 followed by the Chin event at Barber on Sept 21-22 and Chin again at Road Atlanta on Sept 28-29 for my "Southern Tour" this fall. Maybe I see you at one of those?

Jim
Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM
coach k
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the scriptures on your car!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

AMP is a very intense track. was my first HPDE! opened up with a bang. cool pics/vids.

Get notified of new replies

To Atlanta Motorsports Park HPDE, videos

Quick Reply: Atlanta Motorsports Park HPDE, videos