Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG R1 feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:51 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG R1 feedback

Anyone running these on a wide body for road racing? Any feedback on grip and heat cycles? They aren't as tall as OEM but ratio with 285/30-18 front and 335/30-18 rear looks ok, but wonder if you guys have any rubbing issues ? I was going to be kumho v710 as they lasted a long time but they are on back order with no ETA.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Anyone?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:09 PM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Never tried them. I run Hoosier R100 305/18 and 355/18 and Conti GTO slick 305/18 and 320/18. Like the Hoosier's best.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran a set of them on my C4 and HATED them with a passion.

I ran every type of tire you could imagine on that thing (I used whatever I could get a good deal on) and they were by far, without a doubt, the worst tires I ever had on it. Zero grip out of the box, then they would come in for a lap or 2, then they were almost immediately greasy. Pressures were good, everything else was good... I took them off after less than 1 full weekend on the car. Compared to the Hoosier, Goodyear RSR, and even the Kuhmo, they were absolute junk.

YMMV
Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO

I ran every type of tire you could imagine on that thing (I used whatever I could get a good deal on) and they were by far, without a doubt, the worst tires I ever had on it. Zero grip out of the box, then they would come in for a lap or 2, then they were almost immediately greasy. Pressures were good, everything else was good... I took them off after less than 1 full weekend on the car. Compared to the Hoosier, Goodyear RSR, and even the Kuhmo, they were absolute junk.

YMMV
How long ago was this? I heard they updated the tire recently.

I have a fire d with a viper that ran the r1s (more like a Hoosier a6 whereas r1 is like r6) and he seemed to like them.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:39 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
How long ago was this? I heard they updated the tire recently.

I have a fire d with a viper that ran the r1s (more like a Hoosier a6 whereas r1 is like r6) and he seemed to like them.
It was a couple of years ago... Early 2010 tires if I remember correctly.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 PM
zigspeed10
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO

YMMV
My experience with the BFG's was positive. They feel very different then a Hoosier. My first session ever on the BFG's I was terribly slow and blamed the tire. Once I figured out how to drive on these I love them.

Hoosiers - they like slip ange, soft side wall, tire will roll and take a set, very forgiving, drive like an a$$ and you still go fast, A6s have grip immediately, A6s will fall off during a session and never come back, short tire life.

BFG's - don't like much slip ange, stiff side wall, instant turn in, tires don't have to take a set, not as forgiving, requires smoother inputs, if you drive like an a$$ your lap times will suffer, R1 needs a couple laps to have grip, R1-S has grip nearly instantly, the R1 takes some effort to get it greasy and after a few easy corners the tire will come back, the tire wears like iron still haven't corded one.

I switched to BFG's and haven't looked back. If you are just doing track day stuff the R1 is the perfect tire, it offers good grip and will last most people multiple seasons.

If it means anything the BFG R1 won 2012 PTA at nationals going against similar cars on Hoosiers.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

I ordered a set and plan on running them Saturday. I will let you know what i think of them.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Greyman09
Navigator

What size BFG do you run? Staggered or square?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greyman09
What size BFG do you run? Staggered or square?

Thanks
I have a grand sport which is a wide body with CCW wheels 18x11 front 18x12 rear so I got the 285/30-18 front and 335/30-18 rear
Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Greyman09
Navigator

What would recommend starting size be for a stock c5z?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by zigspeed10
...the R1 takes some effort to get it greasy and after a few easy corners the tire will come back, the tire wears like iron still haven't corded one.
Maybe on a C5/C6 or another "finesse" type of car that is true.

On a nose heavy, 500hp C4 that loves to slide around, they got greasy and stayed that way.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greyman09
What would recommend starting size be for a stock c5z?
Depends. What are you OEM tires sizs? You typically want to stay within 3% of OEM front/rear ratio.

Get notified of new replies

To BFG R1 feedback

Quick Reply: BFG R1 feedback