Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Sway Bar End Links

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default C6 Sway Bar End Links

-Power Grid is basically a steel ball joint within aluminum body very similar to oem except it is adjustable.

-Rod End type are noisy.

-Quiet end link w/teflon lining will not last.

---

Anyone have experience with MOOG Part # K750136?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

What brand are you buying?

I have good luck with qa1 and aurora, but only the 3 piece. I stay away from 2 piece.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:54 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
What brand are you buying?

I have good luck with qa1 and aurora, but only the 3 piece. I stay away from 2 piece.

MOOG Part # K750136 is a direct replacement for the oem end links. But unlike oem with steel ball joint captured within aluminum alloy body (Power Grid also constructed the same with the exception of adjustability), Moog is all steel plus it has grease zerk for maintenance. Cost for Moog is $18 @ Rockauto.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

But they're non-adjustable which makes them worth nothing for road racing.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
But they're non-adjustable which makes them worth nothing for road racing.
True, I do understand fixed length is not what most racer use.

I do like rod ends but it is noisy and I do like Moog's steel on steel with greasable zerks construction. Certainly, cost @ 18 each is another plus.

Just curious if racers in this section have put it to the test, maybe not on their race ca?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:20 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I have used Moog & they are (or at least used to be) the best stock type replacement link. For $18 what's to lose? It's not like there is much labor involved. Give it a go.

Keep us posted.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:06 PM
victorf
Drifting

I have used Moog & they are (or at least used to be) the best stock type replacement link. For $18 what's to lose? It's not like there is much labor involved. Give it a go.

Keep us posted.

Froggy47, you are always pragmatic.

And for $18, it will come with an "Lifetime Warranty".

Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM
victorf
Drifting

FWIW, received Moog Endlinks, disappointing quality and they will be send back.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by victorf
FWIW, received Moog Endlinks, disappointing quality and they will be send back.
Were the ball/sockets loose?

They will have a rough finish, you know, not polished like some "performance" links. But the finish has zero to do with how they last.

Sorry they didn't work for you, but since I do recommend them from time to time can you describe what about the quality was not good?

Did you install them?

The oem parts are similar finish, at least on c5's.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:54 PM
victorf
Drifting

Were the ball/sockets loose?

They will have a rough finish, you know, not polished like some "performance" links. But the finish has zero to do with how they last.

Sorry they didn't work for you, but since I do recommend them from time to time can you describe what about the quality was not good?

Did you install them?

The oem parts are similar finish, at least on c5's.
I did not install them since they never pass the visual check and being not all identical, they are two pairs of the same kind.

Fit of the ball joint was not an issue and they were fine.

The finish didn't bother me, I had anticipated to refinish them with POR15 for rust prevention anyway.

However:

-Two set look completely different, had no grease zerk provision on smaller socket body, without grease zerks and the joint had the sealed boot covers. Dimensions wise, center to center were similar as the below one.

-Two sets were accurate as per Moog stock # w/grease zerks. But the boots on these have loose fit, will definitely not able to retain lube and to provide any sort of a seal.

The main issue was with the inability to provide sealing function.

----

Followed your previous threads on Endlinks, I haven't seen anymore follow ups - I suppose no news is good news?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I did not install them since they never pass the visual check and being not all identical, they are two pairs of the same kind.

Fit of the ball joint was not an issue and they were fine.

The finish didn't bother me, I had anticipated to refinish them with POR15 for rust prevention anyway.

However:

-Two set look completely different, had no grease zerk provision on smaller socket body, without grease zerks and the joint had the sealed boot covers. Dimensions wise, center to center were similar as the below one.

-Two sets were accurate as per Moog stock # w/grease zerks. But the boots on these have loose fit, will definitely not able to retain lube and to provide any sort of a seal.

The main issue was with the inability to provide sealing function.

----

Followed your previous threads on Endlinks, I haven't seen anymore follow ups - I suppose no news is good news?

If you mean the QA1's yes they are great. No provision for greasing on them either.

If I were to venture an opinion, and I have lot's of those, IMO a lot of the rod ends with grease fittings are to "make them last longer" because they are not built to the high tolerances and materials of a good Aurora or QA1 three piece rod end.

Having said that, certainly there are applications where being able to grease a fitting is a good thing. Off road trucks, for example, where the environment is wet and dirty.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 PM
victorf
Drifting

If you mean the QA1's yes they are great. No provision for greasing on them either.

If I were to venture an opinion, and I have lot's of those, IMO a lot of the rod ends with grease fittings are to "make them last longer" because they are not built to the high tolerances and materials of a good Aurora or QA1 three piece rod end.

Having said that, certainly there are applications where being able to grease a fitting is a good thing. Off road trucks, for example, where the environment is wet and dirty.

I value and appreciate your opinions, since most of us know something the others don't.

Having said that.

The environment where the endlinks live can be both wet and dirty.

Even lubs in the high end rod ends can not possibly last indefinitely, right?

Thats my delima.

So, since your install with QA1s, what is the environment your vette operates under most of the time?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 AM
froggy47
Race Director

I value and appreciate your opinions, since most of us know something the others don't.

Having said that.

The environment where the endlinks live can be both wet and dirty.

Even lubs in the high end rod ends can not possibly last indefinitely, right?

Thats my delima.

So, since your install with QA1s, what is the environment your vette operates under most of the time?

So Cal, dry/warm/hot. But the rod ends I have are teflon lined, zero grease, no boot.

They are very close to the ones installed on the Baja 500 Trophy Trucks, etc.

No maintenance, high quality steel, very tight tolerance's. Of course they'll wear out some day.

I went thru a lot of rod ends to get to these. Some were loose brand new. That's just crap but you might be surprised at the vendor name who sells them.

Others got loose after 1 or 2 events. That's just cheap soft steel.

I do my own alignment's so I can feel a bad rod end by hand, no need to hear it or use the seat of my pants test.

I'm not shilling for any company, just trying to save forum members from wasting their time/money.

BTW I run a6 tires so the stresses are there.

If I knew a high quality tie rod end/sway bar link that was greasable I'd mention it.

Maybe another forum member has some to recommend.

If greasing all these fittings is going to be part of your prep then an absolute 100% seal is not "that" critical, is it?

Look at any ball joint that still has a zerk fitting & watch the grease ooze (sp) out when you put a grease gun on it.

Last edited by froggy47; 06-12-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 AM
victorf
Drifting

So Cal, dry/warm/hot. But the rod ends I have are teflon lined, zero grease, no boot.

They are very close to the ones installed on the Baja 500 Trophy Trucks, etc.

No maintenance, high quality steel, very tight tolerance's. Of course they'll wear out some day.

I went thru a lot of rod ends to get to these. Some were loose brand new. That's just crap but you might be surprised at the vendor name who sells them.

Others got loose after 1 or 2 events. That's just cheap soft steel.

I do my own alignment's so I can feel a bad rod end by hand, no need to hear it or use the seat of my pants test.

I'm not shilling for any company, just trying to save forum members from wasting their time/money.

BTW I run a6 tires so the stresses are there.

If I knew a high quality tie rod end/sway bar link that was greasable I'd mention it.

Maybe another forum member has some to recommend.

If greasing all these fittings is going to be part of your prep then an absolute 100% seal is not "that" critical, is it.

Look at any ball joint that still has a zerk fitting & watch the grease ooze (sp) out when you put a grease gun on it.

Are the ones from midwestcontrol - the MX series

Or QA1s, care to share the QA1 #s

TIA.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
froggy47
Race Director

These

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...erm=qa1+endura

Mid west did not hold up.

You need to "do the math" left hand thread/right hand thread lenght etc. for your application.

You can call qa1 for some limited tech support, but they expect that you know what you want. These are for racers so it's not like buying from a Corvette Vendor who figures that out for you.

Aurora = same.

Last edited by froggy47; 06-12-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:15 PM
victorf
Drifting

These

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...erm=qa1+endura

Mid west did not hold up.

You need to "do the math" left hand thread/right hand thread lenght etc. for your application.

You can call qa1 for some limited tech support, but they expect that you know what you want. These are for racers so it's not like buying from a Corvette Vendor who figures that out for you.

Aurora = same.
Thank you.

If you don't mind, since your '10 installation, how long did the Midwest lasted before failed?

How long since you switched to QA1? Isn't that what member Solofast used back in '10?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thank you.

If you don't mind, since your '10 installation, how long did the Midwest lasted before failed?

How long since you switched to QA1? Isn't that what member Solofast used back in '10?
A few months.

Over 2 years, I cannot feel any looseness in the qa's so far. I don't recall what Solofast did, sorry. PM him.

There are a LOT of crap 2 piece rod ends sold by a lot of companies for about $10. an end. Good luck with them if you anyone puts them on. Most guys don't know the difference, but it's there & it's real.

You get what you pay for in rod ends.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Sway Bar End Links

Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 PM
victorf
Drifting

A few months.

Over 2 years, I cannot feel any looseness in the qa's so far. I don't recall what Solofast did, sorry. PM him.

There are a LOT of crap 2 piece rod ends sold by a lot of companies for about $10. an end. Good luck with them if you anyone puts them on. Most guys don't know the difference, but it's there & it's real.

You get what you pay for in rod ends.

Roger and appreciate your feedback. Solofast used the same as you, sounds like QA1 is a winner.

The old saying of u get what u paid for is true for most things. Including the ABA hose clamp you once did the comparison - which I also appreciate and what I use now.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 AM
jadoux
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to shed some light on MOOG Part # K750136 on a C5, 2 months, driven on not well made roads, no problems at all, the parts looked good out of the box, greazing and sealing was not a big issue, you can always find a solution for sealing ... I recommend them for the price.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by jadoux
Just to shed some light on MOOG Part # K750136 on a C5, 2 months, driven on not well made roads, no problems at all, the parts looked good out of the box, greazing and sealing was not a big issue, you can always find a solution for sealing ... I recommend them for the price.
Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: C6 Sway Bar End Links