Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video and Data Results - Harry's Laptimer for iPhone

Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Video and Data Results - Harry's Laptimer for iPhone

Several weeks ago, I questioned the forum about inexpensive video / data recording solutions. The one I chose was Harry's Laptimer an application for iPhones. The app cost $19.95 which is about as cheap as you can go.
The results were very satisfactory. Three different programs are available, I chose the mid level since my 4S phone would not support the more advanced functions on the top level program.
Video quality is great as is the overlayed data. Here is a lap at VIR shot last weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tidfs...ature=youtu.be
Many additional functions are available using a bluetooth adaptor to the OBD port on the car - that is next. I can recommend the product even though I am still learning how to use it.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Not bad for $20.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Sargent1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there Saturday in a flat black C5ZO6. First time I've used the app and any sort of lap timer. The overlaid video with timing helped me quite a bit. Decent video. Worth every bit of $20.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:37 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Old 06-11-2013, 10:51 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

I use harrys lap timer and very happy with it as well. Cant beat it for the money. also bought emprum external gps, which has much better accuracy, for about $100. If you have an iphone5, you must buy an adapter as the one they make fits the iPhone 4 and iPad.

I also use iottie mount as shown in this video. Mount to windshield for best results.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love Harry's laptimer...

I use a Dual XGPS150 external bluetooth GPS for better accuracy as well.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM
lbk16
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r1owner
Love Harry's laptimer...

I use a Dual XGPS150 external bluetooth GPS for better accuracy as well.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Just a heads up. What I always do with mine is open harrys with the phone held vertical and get it into the video mode. Then rotate it 90 degrees and clip it into the mount. When you rotate it it will detect the change and bring up a calibration dialog. If you wait till its all clipped in then hit ok it will calibrate so your 0g point is centered. Just an easy way to center the g dot so you can get better results.

The app is awesome for the track. If you have an iphone spending the $20 should be a no brainer if you ever go to a track. The primary issue is uploading the video with my 1mbit up internet. I have to start bringing it to work.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM
r1owner
Racer

The other thing I noticed is the video sometimes gets blurry then comes back in focus fairly quickly during the recording. There is a little lock on the video view that will lock the focus.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have Harrys and it works pretty good for $20. I also have the GoPoint BT1 OBDII reader. Harrys will read this info and overlay it also. Here is a quick vid from last month:

First time I have used the Bluetooth so I am not sure exactly what options you have with Harrys to display. BTW, GoPoint is having a sale on the BT1 reader right now. Unfortunately, there is only like one other app that reads this info. I would like to log my oil pressure during some sessions, but the Dash commander does not do that yet. The OBDII reader comes in handy for diagnostic stuff and to check so parameters in your motor or other vehicles.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:44 AM
r1owner
Racer

^ cool video. I noticed it wasn't calibrated properly cause your g-force readings are reversed...
Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

How accurate are lap times and speed with this versus data acquisition?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:37 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
How accurate are lap times and speed with this versus data acquisition?
Harry's Lap Timer with a high quality external GPS should be good to about 1/10th of a second.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 PM
WaFp
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Quick question... If I don't have a mount and want to keep my phone in the cup holder, will that affect the app at all?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WaFp
Quick question... If I don't have a mount and want to keep my phone in the cup holder, will that affect the app at all?
If you only want to use the timing functions, that would work. It is NOT ADVISABLE to leave the phone loose in the car (in the cup holder) if you are tracking it. Any accident and it will be come a projectile, it MUST be secured. There are multiple types of inexpensive holders available on the net - do a search. If you want to video, a mount is necessary to position the phone's camera with a clear view of the windshield.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Spend 20 bucks

Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder Cradle for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS iPod Touch Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2 Nokia Lumia 920 HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR MAXX Google Nexus LG Optimus G BlackBerry Z10 Torch Compact Size GPS: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder Cradle for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS iPod Touch Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2 Nokia Lumia 920 HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR MAXX Google Nexus LG Optimus G BlackBerry Z10 Torch Compact Size GPS: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 06-15-2013, 04:20 PM
WaFp
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Everyone take a deep breath..... Thank you for worrying about my safety, but it was ONLY a question. I had no intention of letting it "loose" in the cabin, but the improvised mount (for a last minute track day) would only fit in the cup holder.

So everyone can sleep safe tonight, I used my brother's mount and I went ahead and got the iOttie on order for next time.

Back on topic...

The app worked great, except for the fastest session I had where it only recorded two laps, didn't record about four of my fastest laps and I have a theory why. After I was done with the session I pulled back into the paddock and noticed that I had an email notification on the screen. The email arrived at the same time I lost some lap data/video. Not sure if that was the problem, but I wasn't looking at my phone (properly mounted, btw) while I was driving.

Next track day I'll put the phone on "Do Not Disturb" before doing the sessions and see if that fixes the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Video and Data Results - Harry's Laptimer for iPhone

Old 06-15-2013, 07:47 PM
huskerhank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this App work with any track or only tracks that have been pre-loaded. I go to a track outside of Omaha that is highly unlikely on there. I have read of some more expensive ones that will "learn" the track after a lap. Didn't know if this was one. Thanks for your help
Old 06-15-2013, 08:46 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have Harrys and it works pretty good for $20. I also have the GoPoint BT1 OBDII reader. Harrys will read this info and overlay it also. Here is a quick vid from last month:

First time I have used the Bluetooth so I am not sure exactly what options you have with Harrys to display. BTW, GoPoint is having a sale on the BT1 reader right now. Unfortunately, there is only like one other app that reads this info. I would like to log my oil pressure during some sessions, but the Dash commander does not do that yet. The OBDII reader comes in handy for diagnostic stuff and to check so parameters in your motor or other vehicles.
The app alone will record speed but I assume adding the OBD unit will override that with the more accurate OBD info right? I just got the app and really like it already. Adding the external GPS clearly helped with accuracy and helps prevent dropped laps
Old 06-15-2013, 10:12 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Originally Posted by huskerhank
Does this App work with any track or only tracks that have been pre-loaded. I go to a track outside of Omaha that is highly unlikely on there. I have read of some more expensive ones that will "learn" the track after a lap. Didn't know if this was one. Thanks for your help
There are over 450 different worldwide tracks in the database. Yours might be on it. The midlevel and higher program will "learn" a new track and even allow you to set up track segments for comparison purposes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Video and Data Results - Harry's Laptimer for iPhone