Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering question for trackers..

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default lowering question for trackers..

I want to lower my car 1.5 inches, but am worried about rubbing my $1700 Hoosiers on my wheel wells.

How many of you have lowered your c6's more than an inch and are experiencing fender rub at the track?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Lowering is not really a good idea. the shock travel is more important and Hoosiers needs LOTS of negative camber. up front a min of -2.0* more like -3.0*

now putting on the GM T1 suspension kit or one of Pfafts race suspension kits, plus proper alignment will lower your car about an inch
Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 AM
sgrinavi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm lowered in the rear so the car would sit about level on a 295/30ZR-18 (R888) square set-up - my rears rubbed like a big dog this weekend. I'll be raising it before I take it out again..
Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is lowered a bit, not sure exactly how much. I got Pfadt coilovers and it was lowered a bit when I had the alignment and corner weighting done. No rubbing issues so far.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How were you planning on lowering it? I'd also be worried about no suspension travel, I would think for that much drop you'd probably want to go with LG's drop spindles.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I was planning to lower it with the stock bolts only figuring id get 1 inch. I have a pfadt camber kit and was going to get my camber set at -2 front and maybe 1.7 rear with alignment. I don't want any rubbing
Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I think my car is lowered around an 1" with stock bolts and the Johnny O'Connell suspension. Originally it was maxed out when I got it and I did a few track days and street driving and noticed it was horrible over bumps. I have since raised it back up and it rides and handles much better.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of the advantages of coil overs. Problem with stock bolts is you can't lower them all the same. So if you max out the left front with say 5-6 turns, then you have to make sure each side is lowered the same amount, or you have a car that is out of balance and then handles poorly. This is the beauty of coil-overs, so much more adjustability and easier to do on the fly. Technically a lower center of gravity will make the car handle better, but 1.5" is really pushing it on stock shocks. That is why the LG coil-overs with the shorter shock body is a sweet solution.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
This is the beauty of coil-overs, so much more adjustability and easier to do on the fly. Technically a lower center of gravity will make the car handle better, but 1.5" is really pushing it on stock shocks. That is why the LG coil-overs with the shorter shock body is a sweet solution.
Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. It all depends on your driving style, experience level and how hard you run the car.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. It all depends on your driving style, experience level and how hard you run the car.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have had many TT wins with the lowered LG set up.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have had many TT wins with the lowered LG set up.
Agreed and congratulations. Lets not open the wins/titles/track records/championships subject. Some of the big shop names may get upset by what's been accomplished without their unnecessary expensive parts.

Get notified of new replies

To lowering question for trackers..

Quick Reply: lowering question for trackers..