Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forget the car. Help me handle stress.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Forget the car. Help me handle stress.

I have a two day Autocross coming up. Three laps each day. Combine the two times and the lowest time wins. The big dogs of the sport are showing up. On paper, I feel I'm the underdog. But that's why we come to race. If I get lucky/skill my way to first that would be great. I don't want to show up and stress my day away and drive like I don't know how. Help me mentally perform my best.

thanks,

Steve A.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Bobcatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listening to a really good song helps me. Also something like " can't drive 55 or Hells Bells" and it seems like I can drive a little faster. lol
Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll help you out. I'll be there (at El Toro) next weekend too. This will be my second autocross event ever. My first outing (first time really ever doing this kind of thing) last month I handily locked up last place in our class. I'm sure I have a solid shot at last place again next weekend....so looking at registration, you're probably guaranteed a top 10 finish!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Steve, just go back and read some of your recent posts.... 1st out of 150 cars, 1st out of 200' etc, etc. You are FAST, and you are a winner. Just do what you do.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:18 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have run many SCCA tours , the key is to drive your own race. Yes there will be some real hot shoe's there, but if you try to do something extra, the odds are it wont work. There is a ton of extra stuff going on at these events, impound, sticker requirement, different work assignments that combine to throw you off your game. just relax and do what you always do. I can say that at the tour last year I got distracted, and my driving went to crap. and with the level of comp at these events the competition is close, times can be with in .001 each other.
Also make sure the car is fully prepped and ready, the less you have to fuss with it at the event the better
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I used to get really nervous before a race. Then a fellow racer, and friend, told me something that has worked for years:

"Just drive the F**k**g car."

I needed to revisit this profound advice last race when I almost threw up before the start. It worked...

I'll add my own advice: I am very social. So I get to the false grid early so I can "yuck it up" with the other racers. This relaxes me a great deal. I don't know if autocross has something like racing's False Grid, but if it does, try that. I really works for me.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 PM
JRL
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
+1on this ^

Also, I few deep breaths to ease some tension before going out.

Steve, you are very quick and won't have to worry about being too far behind after 1st or 2nd runs. I've done Tours and Nationals and been way behind after 1 or 2 runs and it really adds pressure. Just concentrate on what you are trying to do on course let it rip!
And Oh yeah, like David said "Just drive the F**king car!

Good luck.,

John
Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me having the car set up, preped, loaded and ready to go early the day before I had to pull out is huge. You might have a great day...You might wad the thing up, but your gonna race; because its a LOT of fun.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 AM
hellrazr
Pro

Another +1 on this.

Focus on what you can control, not what you can't. Drive the car and don't try to do too much with it. Let the results fall where they may.

If ya ask any professional hitter what he was thinking when he went up to bat in a high pressure situation, he almost always says "I was just trying to see the ball, hit the ball, nothing unusual." It won't guarantee that you'll win, but it'll give ya the best chance to win. Focus on the task, not the result or the competitors around you.

Of course, getting in the heads of the other drivers, or distracting them, before the race can give ya an advantage, too ;-)

Telling and sharing a few jokes to ease the tension never hurts either.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:23 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

completely. I put this on my roll cage to remind me of this exact philosophy... Once you're out there, the stress will go away and you will do as you have always done. Just go out there and do it!

Old 06-20-2013, 06:16 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys for the advice. I really appreciate it. I'm going to make a copy of this thread and take it with me. I'll let you know how I did.

Steve A.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

As Brad K. famously said this past year, "Just man up and drive the damn race car!"

Of course, that came on the heels of, "I think Flintstone vitamins should be outlawed."

LOL!!!!

Send me a private message with your email address. I have some information for you from a very respectable coach in the industry.

-Kevin
Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Good luck Steve, I'm sure you'll do well.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Who are you up against?

I may be there Sunday (spectate) and cheer.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:52 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redtopz
Good luck Steve, I'm sure you'll do well.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by froggy47
Who are you up against?

I may be there Sunday (spectate) and cheer.

# Name Year Make Sponsor Hometown
50 Munoz, Tony 2005 Lotus Elise Los Angeles, CA
56 Hodges, Mike 2004 Chevrolet corvette ZO6 Simi Valley, CA
78 Miranda, Pilar 2005 Porsche GT3 Morgan Hill, CA
81 Oest, Michael 2007 Porsche GT3 Redondo Beach, CA
85 White, George 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Burbank, CA
86 Eguina, Steve 2004 Porsche Porsche Fairview Mortgage / RacingLifestyle.com Mission Viejo, CA
88 Gonzalez, Randy 2011 Chevrolet Corvette GS Rancho Santa Marg, CA
93 Robertson, Brian James 2002 Chevrolet Vorvette ZO6 Chino Hills, CA
156 Abbott, Steve 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Shadow Hills, CA
178 ***, Chris 2005 Porsche GT3 Morgan Hill, CA
181 Thomason, Gary 2008 Dodge Viper ProParts USA Oceanside, CA
186 Eguina, Michael 2004 Porsche 911 Racing Lifestyle Anaheim, CA

Steve A.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:30 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

You should down a pint of whiskey beforehand. That'll really loosen you up.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

12hr. day. 3 minutes of fun. Saturday standings. I'm 1.4 seconds out of first. (Thomason) 1.1 seconds out of second. (***) I'm in 3rd. place. I felt like I drove pretty good and the car handled great. Just got beat. See what happens tomorrow. If you didn't know, I'm not driving my Corvette. I'm co-driving a stock C5 Z06 in SS.

All your comments helped.

thanks,

Steve A.

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 06-22-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Forget the car. Help me handle stress.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 PM
JRL
Pro

Steve,

Good job, you will be closer to them tomorrow

John

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
12hr. day. 3 minutes of fun. Saturday standings. I'm 1.4 seconds out of first. (Thomason) 1.1 seconds out of second. (***) I'm in 3rd. place. I felt like I drove pretty good and the car handled great. Just got beat. See what happens tomorrow. If you didn't know, I'm not driving my Corvette. I'm co-driving a stock C5 Z06 in SS.

thanks,

Steve A.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:52 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

thanks,

Steve A.
Sunday I had a good attitude going in, but after the 3rd. and final run, I wasn't to happy. I was either way over the limit or below. At the end of the day, they added up the two days and I finished 3rd. Sounds good, but in reality, I was way way off the 1st. place driver.

Saturday. Not to bad.

Sunday. This video is not my best lap, because the camera didn't get turned on for some reason. But you get the idea. Very poor.

Thanks for the help guys.

Steve A.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM
JRL
Pro

Sunday I had a good attitude going in, but after the 3rd. and final run, I wasn't to happy. I was either way over the limit or below. At the end of the day, they added up the two days and I finished 3rd. Sounds good, but in reality, I was way way off the 1st. place driver.

Saturday. Not to bad.

Sunday. This video is not my best lap, because the camera didn't get turned on for some reason. But you get the idea. Very poor.

Thanks for the help guys.

Steve A.
Steve,

Don't be so hard on yourself, GT is obviously one of the best and *** is always top 5-10 at Nationals. You had clean runs, lowered your time each lap and beat some fast drivers
Good job, it's not easy to put 2 good days together. San Diego Nat Tour in 2006 Super Stock, 19 drivers, I was 4th after 1st day, a good result for me. I screwed the pooch and had 3 dirty runs on Sunday, dropped to 15th .
With only 6 minutes on course for the weekend, that is a lot of time waiting around to think and feel presssure.

-------
John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forget the car. Help me handle stress.