Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you rebuild your own Penske (or other) shocks help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default If you rebuild your own Penske (or other) shocks help me out.

I need to up the game on my shock pkg. But I'm not willing to shell out an additional $800 or so annually to have a race shop rebuild them.

It seems to me that if the shock is built to be rebuildable (mainly seals, oil, gas) that's something I can do with a few special tools.

Please post only if you actually do this or if you are a shop who provides this service & want to offer some info.

Possible or fugeddaboutit (RIP Tony S.)?

Old 06-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I need to up the game on my shock pkg. But I'm not willing to shell out an additional $800 or so annually to have a race shop rebuild them.

It seems to me that if the shock is built to be rebuildable (mainly seals, oil, gas) that's something I can do with a few special tools.

Please post only if you actually do this or if you are a shop who provides this service & want to offer some info.

I'm not sure how applicable this is, but I routinely service my mountainbike suspension on my own. I think your big issue would be the special tooling usually involved and the lack of assurance you'd have with a shock dyno. It can be challenging to fully bleed sealed systems and recharge nitrogen. Again bicycle suspension but very sophisticated bicycle suspension.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Do you have a shock dyno for your mountain bike shocks?

Is it necessary to dyno a shock every time it's rebuilt?

Old 06-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Do you have a shock dyno for your mountain bike shocks?

Is it necessary to dyno a shock every time it's rebuilt?

Disclaimer: I am a bicycle tech. My experience with auto suspension is limited.

A shock dyno can give you the assurance that it was done correctly and give tuning reference information. A small air bubble or a tiny piece of debris can effect damping in ways that would be really hard to diagnose from the cockpit of a car. I've never had access to a shock dyno but keep in mind it also takes a lot longer to remove a shock from a car than a bicycle if you do find you've done it wrong. That having been said if the manufacturer supports end user servicing and is will to make information and tooling available I'd probably go for it. I recommend a "clean room" style environment that's VERY well it and has no cracks and crevices to loose tiny little parts. White surfaces are your friend. Nothing like loosing a tiny little cir-clip to take an entire shock out of service til you can get another. Don't ask how I know.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks,

Good information.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I just had 4 motons rebuilt and I know your financial pain. I always wanted to build a shock dyno. I'm also in so cal. I got tools, welders, plasma cutter how hard could it be? No one will tell me how to bleed remote canister shocks. I could probably figure it out if I had an exploded diagram. Nitrogen is no problem I use that trackside and at work. It can't be all that hard especially if really replacing seals and no revalving. I think the real know how would be in how to design the valving based on wheel rates, motion ratios, corner weights etc...
Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I just had 4 motons rebuilt and I know your financial pain. I always wanted to build a shock dyno. I'm also in so cal. I got tools, welders, plasma cutter how hard could it be? No one will tell me how to bleed remote canister shocks. I could probably figure it out if I had an exploded diagram. Nitrogen is no problem I use that trackside and at work. It can't be all that hard especially if really replacing seals and no revalving. I think the real know how would be in how to design the valving based on wheel rates, motion ratios, corner weights etc...
We are on the same page. It really can't be that big a deal to rebuild a shock. It seems to me if you already have a shock that's "dialed in" and just need to freshen it up you really don't need a dyno. Am I wrong?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Assemble it in a full oil bath.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bicyclewrench
Assemble it in a full oil bath.
Please explain, why?

It's topped off with gas anyway, isn't it?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:57 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have done a two day shock class at Penske shocks (something that's offered to anybody, but few know about) It's not that hard to rebuild them.

They are one of the few high end shocks (or any shocks) that are owner rebuildable
Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.penskeshocks.com/files/Adjustable_Manual.pdf

This has exploded diagrams, rebuild info, etc. You can probably find similar for the Motons somewhere.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why do you think they need a rebuild annually in the first place?

I ran mine 4 years with no difficulty and put one hell of allot of track time on them .... working just fine.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:18 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I have done a two day shock class at Penske shocks (something that's offered to anybody, but few know about)
Awesome! I will look into that.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:20 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Froggy,

I put an email out to penske to see about shock rebuilding classes. I'll post back info here or PM you. We are both in socal and perhaps we get lucky and classes could be here. If not Penske is in PA.. Sounds like maybe a cheap fly on southwest for some lessons and philly cheesesteak!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:27 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Also as a sidenote I'm sure if we had classes we would learn about oil viscosities and nitrogen pressures but until then...

anyone know how much the dampening (spring rate change) changes per 50lb increments of nitrogen? In fact I don't even know how much I can put in. My factory motons from performance shock came back rebuilt with 180lbs. I think the range might be 100-300.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks for the posts guys, I am really surprised that more people don't rebuild these on the forum. Especially since the mfg does seem to support the idea.

If I end up with them I am going to have fun doing a video on how to.

Bet there is none on yt yet.

Get notified of new replies

To If you rebuild your own Penske (or other) shocks help me out.

Quick Reply: If you rebuild your own Penske (or other) shocks help me out.