Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man the transaxles in the C6s are junk! Shifts worse than a dump truck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 PM
CyberGS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Man the transaxles in the C6s are junk! Shifts worse than a dump truck!

I had a Grand Sport and I didn't like the trans; I now have a Z06 Carbon Edition and it is just as junky as the GS. I had a Porsche 930 4spd in my V8 914 race car for awhile and I would say it shifted like an old dump truck it was so notchy, or like an old farm truck from the 60s or 70s.

Well, I never missed gears with it!

The C6 trans is a complete POS. Went to the track today with the new to me Carbon and I missed 2nd to 3rd a number of times, it would get hung up in-between what I would guess was first and third, or jump to 5th, so forth. I have to admit I would not have thought a 2011 Corvette would shift worse than a box in a Porsche from the 70s but I have been proven wrong. And I don't force the shifts or grab hold of shifter; I push with my palm and pull with fingers cupped just like any other car/transmission I have ever tracked/driven.

I have a short throw shifter that came with an 08 torque tube I picked up for my Nova project so I am going to try that next but I seriously doubt it will make it better, heck, might exacerbate the issue for all I know.

When it would shift, the car was fast, even on the stock run flats

You guys tracking these have any fluid brand changes or other things you have done to get this thing to shift better?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Mine shifts very nicely. You have to shift it properly. Coming from a 4 speed you have to forget most of what you learned about shifting. Only thing that is the same is the 1-2 shift. Put your hand on top of the shifter when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and then shove forward with the heel of your hand the transmission centering spring will take it right into 3rd. Trying to aim it or force it like you would do a 4 speed will guarantee a missed shift. Most tracks you only need to use 3rd and 4th once out of the pits. Sometimes 5th is used on very long straights.

Once you get used to the shifting you should be able to rest your hand on top of the shifter and mover through all 6th gears rapidly just by using your fingers and the heel of your hand. Be careful on a rapid shift into 5th from 4th because the reverse gate is right there and the lock out solenoid is designed to be over ridden if enough force is used. That is done so you don't get stranded without reverse if the solenoid fails in the lockout position.

Bill
Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you buy it used? If so, I would check to see if someone installed a different shifter and then put the stock one back before they sold it. Maybe they didn't put it back right??

I have a 2011 Z06 and any on track shifting issues I have had were my own fault, I couldn't blame any of them on the car.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Sell it and buy another Porsche and then when the Z06's and GS's blow past you you can flip them off and then do another super smooth shift as they drive away..........

Sorry, just really tired of ex-Porsche folks whining about Corvette trash..... Why did you buy a Vette anyway? Maybe there is something about it that doesn't remind you of a 50-60's dump truck.... Geez

Last edited by jbondfl; 06-21-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I really liked the mgw shifter I had on my c6. I rarely have any problems but I've noticed that non Vette owners that have tracked my car had initial problems. Get an mgw and more seat time and enjoy.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Mine shifts very nicely. You have to shift it properly. Coming from a 4 speed you have to forget most of what you learned about shifting. Only thing that is the same is the 1-2 shift. Put your hand on top of the shifter when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and then shove forward with the heel of your hand the transmission centering spring will take it right into 3rd. Trying to aim it or force it like you would do a 4 speed will guarantee a missed shift. Most tracks you only need to use 3rd and 4th once out of the pits. Sometimes 5th is used on very long straights.

Once you get used to the shifting you should be able to rest your hand on top of the shifter and mover through all 6th gears rapidly just by using your fingers and the heel of your hand. Be careful on a rapid shift into 5th from 4th because the reverse gate is right there and the lock out solenoid is designed to be over ridden if enough force is used. That is done so you don't get stranded without reverse if the solenoid fails in the lockout position.

Bill
if you just push it forward when shifting into third you will never miss it....if you are trying to guid it into place you will have trouble. Also you need to refresh your clutch fluid quite often. As soon as it starts to look dirty it will start impacting your shifting.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Transaxle?? I think you are in the wrong forum.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

how many dump trucks have you driven?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 PM
CyberGS
Instructor

Bill

if you just push it forward when shifting into third you will never miss it....if you are trying to guid it into place you will have trouble. Also you need to refresh your clutch fluid quite often. As soon as it starts to look dirty it will start impacting your shifting.
Pushing with my palm is exactly what I was doing as mentioned in my OP because I expected the centering springs to line it up with 3rd and every once in awhile it would seem to get hung up in between first and third. I will have to check out a short shifter and see how that goes. On the local track there are a couple sharp turns that require going down to 2nd.

The car is stock and really low miles and I know the original owner didn't mess with the shifter, so that wouldn't be it. It had only 989 miles on it when I bought it last month and at 1800 miles now so maybe it just needs to break in more. My GS had 6800 miles when I sold it and I don't recall if it got better or not, I don't recall thinking it was ever really fast shifting 2-3.

For some of the other comments...

when you have a transmission and diff together in one package it is called a transaxle. I didn't invent that term. Maybe you are on the wrong forum. I suggest checking out Food Channel.

As for the Porsche comment, I see crap like your post on this forum all of the time which is sad. You don't know me. I compared it to my Porsche because I had one and ran more than a few transaxles in that car as I increased power and never had shift issues, neither 4 nor 5 spds, like this car. Nor my Mustangs. Nor any other manual transmission car I have owned and/or tracked. I didn't say Porsches are better or anything deserving your lame comment. Plug it.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm knocking on wood as I type this, but in 48,000 I've never missed a shift. This is my 11th Vette and I am very accustomed to how they shift. Make sure your shifter and tranny are ok. C6 Vettes have a pretty good oem shifter. First Vette I've owned that I didn't change it for something more precise.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:43 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had 3 mustangs, an m3, s4, mazdaspeed6, mini cooper, golf, corolla, and my c6 is by far my favorite. Sounds like there is something wrong with your car or you need to learn how to drive.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:55 AM
CyberGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
I'm knocking on wood as I type this, but in 48,000 I've never missed a shift. This is my 11th Vette and I am very accustomed to how they shift. Make sure your shifter and tranny are ok. C6 Vettes have a pretty good oem shifter. First Vette I've owned that I didn't change it for something more precise.
Thanks for the input as well Lawdogg, especially noting that you didn't feel the need to change the shifter for the first time in 11 Vettes. I am thinking maybe the car just needs to break in and loosen up a little or maybe it just isn't quite aligned right in the linkage. I have never messed with a Vette linkage but it looks pretty simple in pictures I have seen (but don't they all). Maybe there is a joint in it somewhere that is a bit loose I can tighten up or something. Again, it does only have a bit over 1900 miles on it now after the drive home, and half of those miles were put on in the last month since I bought it so she might need some time.

The car does scoot otherwise. I was editing video here tonight from today and best lap was a 2:03.2 and my Porsche V8 914 race car was consistent 1:55s, so only 8 seconds off with similar HP but no slicks and a heavier car. I think with slicks and another 100 BHP with some engine parts and a tune I could get this car down to 1:55s. Our local SCCA champion (in a number of classes including T1 in a Grand Sport) that owns a racing school was out with a student today and drove his ZR1 out. He didn't track it today but said with his Hoosier 315s and 345s on Forgelines and a tune to 700HP he has ran a 1:53 which is hauling. That time was my fastest lap ever in my 914 and that car was pretty nuts Not that a 700HP ZR1 isn't a bit nuts of course.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:01 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Do not install a short throw shifter. The internet has brain washed everyone thinking they are an improvement. Making the throws long would be an improvement. As for the shifting problem, I think it may be an actual problem. I have yet to drive any manual transmission, in good working order, that was as bad as you described. FWIW, a dog box transmission, like a jerico, sounds clunky and shifts poorly at low rpm, but take it on a road course and use it properly and it will possibly be the best shifting transmission you have ever rowed.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:08 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberGS
.....when you have a transmission and diff together in one package it is called a transaxle. I didn't invent that term. Maybe you are on the wrong forum. I suggest checking out Food Channel.

I would say the shifter needs adjusting or, perhaps, the manner/speed in which you try to shift may need a little more finesse. As far as a 'transaxle' - the vette has the transmission and rear end simply co-located. They do not share the same common housing or fluid. It is not, therefore, a transaxle. At least, that is the case with my C5Z.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Sell it and buy another Porsche and then when the Z06's and GS's blow past you you can flip them off and then do another super smooth shift as they drive away..........

Sorry, just really tired of ex-Porsche folks whining about Corvette trash..... Why did you buy a Vette anyway? Maybe there is something about it that doesn't remind you of a 50-60's dump truck.... Geez
Hopefully you don't have either ...
Old 06-22-2013, 03:19 PM
CyberGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by trackboss
Do not install a short throw shifter. The internet has brain washed everyone thinking they are an improvement. Making the throws long would be an improvement. As for the shifting problem, I think it may be an actual problem. I have yet to drive any manual transmission, in good working order, that was as bad as you described. FWIW, a dog box transmission, like a jerico, sounds clunky and shifts poorly at low rpm, but take it on a road course and use it properly and it will possibly be the best shifting transmission you have ever rowed.
I have dogs in my sequential and certainly don't expect the synchros to shift as well, but I am thinking much of what some others are saying - there might be an issue with my shift linkage or the synchros themselves. I remember thinking the GS was not the smoothest on the track either (around town there is no issue with either one) but I never missed shifts... I am going to let the synchros work a bit more, get some miles on it and then go from there. Hopefully I don't find myself at the dealer for a drivetrain fix...
Old 06-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Chevy Nick
Racer

You may have a clutch hydraulics issue - that fluid can be boiled and deteriorate, especially if you have headers. I recommend a remote clutch bleeder or Tick adjustable master cylinder. Factory clutch hydraulics are weak.

Get notified of new replies

To Man the transaxles in the C6s are junk! Shifts worse than a dump truck!

Old 06-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I too occasionally get stuck between 1-3 when shifting from 2-3, haven't figured out why yet. I'm usually not shifting too terribly quick.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:28 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
Do not install a short throw shifter. The internet has brain washed everyone thinking they are an improvement. Making the throws long would be an improvement.
Some are a definite improvement. I got tired of the vague stock unit after missing a couple 3 to 4 shifts in high G right hand turns (i.e. coming out of Hog's Pen at VIR). It was very easy to accidentally pull it toward 2nd.

MGW makes a very nice shifter with a "tall handle" option so you get more precise shifts with a slightly shorter throw while keeping the shift **** up near OEM height and close to the steering wheel.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:59 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl

Oh man......that was good. I'm laughing my *** off!!

Quick Reply: Man the transaxles in the C6s are junk! Shifts worse than a dump truck!