Improve your ARE Dry Dump System - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Autocrossing & Roadracing
Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improve your ARE Dry Dump System

Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
Painrace
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakisoba View Post
Has anyone tried to adapt this to the stock dry sump system on the LS3 or LS7? My understanding was that the problem with the stock system was too much entrained air at high lateral G loads (such as those produced when driving on sticky tires). This system would seem to help that problem, yes?
Dry Sump systems, by there nature, suck air from the pan and mix the air with the oil. Are they better than a wet sump? HELL YES! A little more HP but a lot more throttle response and you don't starve your engine for oil in high G situations. But, the oil system still have some air entrained in the oil and air does not lubricate. The Spintric removes 75% of that air! Gary told me with my 10 quart ARE dry sump tank the oil is in the tank for about 7 seconds at 7,000 RPM! So, even with baffles, the oil does not have much time to get the air out.

I have raced many cars and have known Gary Armstrong's ARE Dry Sump systems for years. There are no better systems and no better guy to work with. And, a big plus in my opinion, Gary is a devout Christian.

Just an old man's 2 cents!

Jim
Painrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
Painrace
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesospeedy View Post
^ I would also like to know this. I'm under warranty for a while yet, but for future reference I'd like to know if this is an option to improve the stock dry sump.
The original GM systems did not have enough scavenge capacity so a lot of oil stayed in the engine at high RPM. Then in high G corners there was not enough oil in the tank to continually lubricate. Newer cars have a better scavenge system but I still feel it is cheaper to install an ARE stage II or Stage III system then buy a new engine.

By the way, Katech also installed piston squirters in my engine when they built it, another engine and piston life saving device.

Jim
Old 07-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
Painrace
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-Ben View Post
Painrace: Do you have a GM system or a 3 or 4 stage external setup?

I am wondering how much difference this will make on external setup that already has a proper tank.
Stage III!

Sorry to be so slow posting guys. I am in a rental house and the guy that owns the property was cutting the grass and cut my cable. All is well now.

Jim
Old 07-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
Werks
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painrace View Post

Here is a picture of the install, Ron. We ran it with the air bleed to the dry sump tank not attached and then attached it. I believed Gary but I was quite surprised when the Dry Sump tank level wend down so fast. Remember, my system is an ARE stage III system.

THIS THING WORKS GUYS!

I might add I am surprised by how many times I see race cars where the area around the radiators and coolers are not completely blocked off so all the trapped air does not go through the coolers. This product will reduce oil/water temps but so will forcing all air through the coolers.

MANY THANKS GARY!

Jim
Thanks Jim, that makes sense now. For some reason I thought that it needed to be mounted vertically. The flyer had pictures of the new tanks with integral mounts for the spintric device that ARE now offers which had them mounted vertically. Looking at them though I did not think that there was enough room to install one of those with the catch can mounted like you and I have plus all of the other stuff that is packed into that area.
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #25
aremfg

Hi all, and thanks to Jim for his posts, and great photos. The Spintric has been used primarily on stage 3 systems, on LS as well as other systems with our 4 stage pumps ( 3 scavenge) ,however, all dry sumps are "over scavenging" the pan, as it is the nature of the system. The Spintric helps separate the 2 again, so the tank can be more oil tank than air/ oil tank! This is the reason the level sometimes goes down slightly, as less air is in there to displace the oil. There were questions about the a/c, and it is true on our Stage 3 LS 1-6 systems, normally the pump is "direct to block "mounted,where the A/C was, however, on the ZO6 LS7 retro fit dry sump system like Jim's, the A/C stays put! We also make a track day system for the LS 1-6 C5. C6 Corvettes, Camaro, etc ( anything LS powered) that uses a 2 scavenge cyl head mounted pump in a system we manufacture for the specific reason of keeping the Air Conditioner and factory damper in place. Great for dual purpose cars, but I always recomend our DTB systems for serious race cars. More info is avaiable at www.drysump.com and www.spintric.com. Thank You! Happy 4th and God Bless te USA! Gary Armstrong

Last edited by aremfg; 07-05-2013 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Typos
aremfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #26
Poor-sha
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Any thought to making a retrofit kit with lines and mount for folks with the stage 3 system like Jim and I have? Doesn't seem too difficult to install if you have the right parts and know what line goes where.
Poor-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #27
Suaveat69
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremfg View Post
Hi all, and thanks to Jim for his posts, and great photos. The Spintric has been used primarily on stage 3 systems, on LS as well as other systems with our 4 stage pumps ( 3 scavenge) ,however, all dry sumps are "over scavenging" the pan, as it is the nature of the system. The Spintric helps separate the 2 again, so the tank can be more oil tank than air/ oil tank! This is the reason the level sometimes goes down slightly, as less air is in there to displace the oil. There were questions about the a/c, and it is true on our Stage 3 LS 1-6 systems, normally the pump is "direct to block "mounted,where the A/C was, however, on the ZO6 LS7 retro fit dry sump system like Jim's, the A/C stays put! We also make a track day system for the LS 1-6 C5. C6 Corvettes, Camaro, etc ( anything LS powered) that uses a 2 scavenge cyl head mounted pump in a system we manufacture for the specific reason of keeping the Air Conditioner and factory damper in place. Great for dual purpose cars, but I always recomend our DTB systems for serious race cars. More info is avaiable at www.drysump.com and www.spintric.com. Thank You! Happy 4th and God Bless te USA! Gary Armstrong
Gary,

Thanks for the info. I sent you a PM as I did not want to derail this topic.
Suaveat69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
Painrace
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
Any thought to making a retrofit kit with lines and mount for folks with the stage 3 system like Jim and I have? Doesn't seem too difficult to install if you have the right parts and know what line goes where.
It is not hard to install, Sean. Any good race shop can do it or someone with Aeroquip line knowledge. Maybe Katech will make a kit?

Jim
Old 07-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #29
yakisoba
CF Senior Member

So if all dry sump systems are over scavenging the pan, spintric should help on even the stock system, correct?
Quote:
yakisoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #30
Painrace
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakisoba View Post
So if all dry sump systems are over scavenging the pan, spintric should help on even the stock system, correct?
Line size makes a big difference. Early Z06s did not have enough scavage volume. I would be worried about installing it on a stock scavage pump. Mine is installed on a secondary scavage pump that sends a lot of oil and air back to the ARE tank. However, Gary may say it is "OK" to install.

Jim
Old 07-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #31
aremfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painrace View Post
Line size makes a big difference. Early Z06s did not have enough scavage volume. I would be worried about installing it on a stock scavage pump. Mine is installed on a secondary scavage pump that sends a lot of oil and air back to the ARE tank. However, Gary may say it is "OK" to install.

Jim
The Spintric will work, and will help on any dry sump systems scavenge return to the tank. However, the factory lines would need to be adapted to an Aeroquip type fitting to "splice" it in line. Also, the factory tank would need to be modified for the air return from the Spintric. There are many advantages with the A R E retro fit ZO6 system over the stock system when high lateral G's are involved ( ie any track car) and the oil control in the A R E dry sump pan and tank is the #1 benefit. The Spintric helps the deaeration of the oil one step further. If you wanted to start with that, it sure wouldnt hurt. I would contact Katech or any number of the pro builders selling our systems and see if they have a factory line to AN fitting adapter. Best wishes, Gary
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #32
yakisoba
CF Senior Member

Quote:
The Spintric will work, and will help on any dry sump systems scavenge return to the tank. However, the factory lines would need to be adapted to an Aeroquip type fitting to "splice" it in line. Also, the factory tank would need to be modified for the air return from the Spintric. There are many advantages with the A R E retro fit ZO6 system over the stock system when high lateral G's are involved ( ie any track car) and the oil control in the A R E dry sump pan and tank is the #1 benefit. The Spintric helps the deaeration of the oil one step further. If you wanted to start with that, it sure wouldnt hurt. I would contact Katech or any number of the pro builders selling our systems and see if they have a factory line to AN fitting adapter. Best wishes, Gary
Thank you very much for the info. When my 2012 GS goes out of warranty, mods will commence. Since I use the car for teaching, the dry sump will get some of the first attention. Will certainly be in touch.
yakisoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #33
yooper
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Spintric

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper View Post
All of the above questions?
Jim, thank you for sharing with the forum. Gary was great to work with. After a few emails and a phone conversation my little hot rod will have cleaner blood. Bill
yooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #34
aremfg

Default Spintric

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper View Post
Jim, thank you for sharing with the forum. Gary was great to work with. After a few emails and a phone conversation my little hot rod will have cleaner blood. Bill
Thank you Bill, Jim and all. I am happy to watch this forum and jump in when time permits, but keep in mind, your questions can be sent direct to me at [email protected] or [email protected] also.
Thanks to all our great customers, and I might add that it makes it easy to be helpful and polite when 97% of all our customers are the same way. I do appreciate the excitement and professionalism that most of our customers have. When my feet hit the ground every day, even after 39 years building racing engines and components, i am ready to design more!
Sincerely, Gary Armstrong
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #35
jstout
CF Senior Member
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Late seeing this post, but I was there at VIR with Jim and witnessed all he said. It is an amazing system, simple in design but highly effective. Will be putting one on my race car soon. Jerry
jstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #36
Z06Ronald
CF Senior Member

Here's a recent Tech Article. Link can also be found at www.drysump.com.
http://www.corvetteonline.com/oiling...lears-the-air/

Last edited by Z06Ronald; 07-10-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Z06Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:49 PM   #37
Screamin Z
CF Senior Member

Put the spintric on our 4 stage external dry sump system and it has performed flawlessly!
Screamin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #38
Z06Ronald
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin Z View Post
Put the spintric on our 4 stage external dry sump system and it has performed flawlessly!
I have a Stage 3 ARE, since I read the Tech Article I am also thinking of buying a Spintric.
Z06Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Improve your ARE Dry Dump System
  •