Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improve your ARE Dry Dump System

Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Improve your ARE Dry Sump System

I tested a new product from Gary Armstrong at ARE on Monday and Tuesday at VIR. The product, with no moving parts, is called a Spintric! It installs in the line returning oil to the dry sump tank. It removes about 75% of the air in the oil before it goes back into the tank. So, what are the results. Once the air out line was hooked up to the dry sump tank the oil level in the dry sump tank dropped about 1.25" to 1.5"! Oil pressure went up 5psi or 12%! Water temperature went down 10 degrees! I have a Ron Davis radiator so my oil temps and water temps are always low. Those with higher water and oil temps may see them both go down.

Our conclusion is with the air reduced in the oil lubrication is better, cooling is better and since the oil is denser it takes less room in the tank.

Jim

Last edited by Painrace; 06-29-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Pics? Where to buy? So this is the voodoo magic you were alluding to
Old 06-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
I tested a new product from Gary Armstrong at ARE on Monday and Tuesday at VIR. The product, with no moving parts, is called a Spintric! It installs in the line returning oil to the dry sump tank. It removes about 75% of the air in the oil before it goes back into the tank. So, what are the results. Once the air out line was hooked up to the dry sump tank the oil level in the dry sump tank dropped about 1.25" to 1.5"! Oil pressure went up 5psi or 12%! Water temperature went down 10 degrees! I have a Ron Davis radiator so my oil temps and water temps are always low. Those with higher water and oil temps may see them both go down.

Our conclusion is with the air reduced in the oil lubrication is better, cooling is better and since the oil is denser it takes less room in the tank.

Jim
Are you running a scavenge pump and if so is the unit on the pressure side of the pump or in the other line from the pan to the tank? How large is the unit?

Jim
Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

cost?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All of the above questions?
Old 06-29-2013, 12:57 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Jim I was talking to Jason about possibly getting one of these a few weeks ago. I was at RichieRich's shop down here a few months ago and he had just got one in to try out. Nice to hear some real world results with it, would have been nice to try one in my car a few weeks ago when it was 108f outside at the track lol! One question for you though, where did you mount it? We were looking around trying to figure our where the best place to position it would be close to the tank.

Last edited by Werks; 06-29-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I am on my way to AMP to instruct with Tracks Unlimited. I will post pictures Monday. Cost is around $900. Ron, I mounted mine just in front of the electrical box on the passengers side. Oil comes out of the stage III pump and into the Spintric. I am so pleased. NO MOVING PARTS and more cheap insurance! My car already cooled GREAT but the Spintric cools even more and lubes much better. This is going to be in future race cars!

Jim
Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 AM
aremfg
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi friends, and thank you Jim for your comments. For those of you interested in the Spintric, you can visit www.spintric.com. Or the main A R E web site at www.drysump.com. No voodo,
Just good old physics and fluid dynamics. I had it in development for almost a year, awaiting patent and testing it constantly. It has been available since early this year, and is selling very well. See the other testimonials on the Spintric web site as well as a "youtube" and other information there. Net. Price is $897, complete, but we have a "ProRacer" price of $769
It works on any dry sump system, not only A R E, however our dry sump tanks are set up for the air / oil return. Thank you, Gary Armstrong
Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aremfg
Hi friends, and thank you Jim for your comments. For those of you interested in the Spintric, you can visit www.spintric.com. Or the main A R E web site at www.drysump.com. No voodo,
Just good old physics and fluid dynamics. I had it in development for almost a year, awaiting patent and testing it constantly. It has been available since early this year, and is selling very well. See the other testimonials on the Spintric web site as well as a "youtube" and other information there. Net. Price is $897, complete, but we have a "ProRacer" price of $769
It works on any dry sump system, not only A R E, however our dry sump tanks are set up for the air / oil return. Thank you, Gary Armstrong
The ARE baffle inside the tank is supposed to remove the air from the oil. Does your unit work on a different principal?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 AM
aremfg
Heel & Toe

Very much so. One uses gravity, (slow) Spintric uses centrepetal force, on every drop of oil /air going back to the tank. Having both is still an assett, and the tank baffle also is to stabilize oil movement inside the tank in high cornering g's.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:36 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice looking product! I never thought about the gassing of oil being an issue, but it makes sense. I have an ARE 2 stage dry sump (2 scavenge lines, factory oil pump for pressure) and I'll give you a call.

Bill.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:16 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Just got some info from Gary on this last week. Looks like a nice product, and if Gary can chime in here on this, I'm going to say it is just like an airator line that would be on a higher end external dry sump setup, which we know will not fit on the Corvette without A/C removal and customer passenger side engine mount.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:07 PM
aremfg
Heel & Toe

Default Spintric post

The Spintric.on Jims system, and all ARE LS7 ZO6 retrofit systems keep the AC, and even the factory damper. In fact, everything except the pan, factory windage tray, tank and vent can. The systems Anthony is refering to are our LS 1-6 dry sumps, in which case all but one, we mount the pumps where the AC was. However, the Spintric works on them all! That is a huge thing that is often confused. Again, all you folks looking to up date your factory dry sump to to the ARE LS7 retrofit systen, either stage 2 OR stage 3, you KEEP your air conditioner right where it is. The Spintric can even be added later, as Jim and many othere have.
For more info, schematics, and CAD drawings visit drysump.com, or call A R E 916-652-5282 gary@drysump.com.
Also, these systems are available from KATECH (#1 buyer) , LG, Pfadt, Quality Motorsports, APP Holland, Callaway Cars, and many more. See web site for engine builder / supplier list. Or, you may buy direct from
A R E with qualifications. Thank you! And Thank you Jim Painter!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

VERY cool! I have worked a couple of times with Gary on my ARE dry sump system and he has ALWAYS been the best to work with! He has always been of the utmost assistance. This system sounds like something I will check on in the future! :-)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried to adapt this to the stock dry sump system on the LS3 or LS7? My understanding was that the problem with the stock system was too much entrained air at high lateral G loads (such as those produced when driving on sticky tires). This system would seem to help that problem, yes?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 PM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I would also like to know this. I'm under warranty for a while yet, but for future reference I'd like to know if this is an option to improve the stock dry sump.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd say the problem with the stock dry sump is that there is only one stage of scavenge and that is the reason for so much air. The air separator will do nothing if the single scavenge pump is only sucking up air (when the pickup is not submerged in oil like under heavy braking forces).

Get notified of new replies

To Improve your ARE Dry Dump System

Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Painrace: Do you have a GM system or a 3 or 4 stage external setup?

I am wondering how much difference this will make on external setup that already has a proper tank.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a picture of the install, Ron. We ran it with the air bleed to the dry sump tank not attached and then attached it. I believed Gary but I was quite surprised when the Dry Sump tank level wend down so fast. Remember, my system is an ARE stage III system.

THIS THING WORKS GUYS!

I might add I am surprised by how many times I see race cars where the area around the radiators and coolers are not completely blocked off so all the trapped air does not go through the coolers. This product will reduce oil/water temps but so will forcing all air through the coolers.

MANY THANKS GARY!

Jim
Old 07-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Just got some info from Gary on this last week. Looks like a nice product, and if Gary can chime in here on this, I'm going to say it is just like an airator line that would be on a higher end external dry sump setup, which we know will not fit on the Corvette without A/C removal and customer passenger side engine mount.

It is just in front of the fuse box, Anthony. I have all accessories on my car. Lou needs one for his race car. You will love it and the best part is no moving parts!

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Improve your ARE Dry Dump System