Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z09 HP gain

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:33 AM
GKennedy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Z09 HP gain

I want more HP from my LS6, Some shop suggest me cam swap and headers around 4200.00 $ with a gain of 70 HP ,

IMO its expensive for 70 HP and I think that I will want more after.

It make me think about a engine swap, but I have no idea witch one would be the best bang for the buck.

I would like to have suggestion of people who did that before.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 AM
c5_4_me
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you want the extra HP for? I understand we all want more HP, but a good engine builder/modifier/tuner will get information from you regarding what you want out of the modifications. Road racing? Autocross? Strictly for the street?

The more information you can give us, the better we can advise you.

$4200 for a cam and some headers just doesn't seem right.

A cold-air intake, F.A.S.T. intake manifold, LS2 throttle body, higher flow injectors, long tube headers, camshaft, and appropriate engine control module calibration ("tune") could almost all be done for about that much coin (depending on labor rates) and should net (roughly) between 80 and 100 HP gain, depending on the cam selected, etc. The limiting factor will be the stock heads at that point, so porting your heads at the minimum or replacing them with better-flowing aftermarket heads will allow even greater gains. Free-flow catalytic converters and cat-back exhaust will gain a few more ponies.

Any number of Supercharger options could be installed if you are willing to spend a little more.

And I want a Z09, whatever that is.

Last edited by c5_4_me; 07-01-2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Z09
Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GKennedy
I want more HP from my LS6, Some shop suggest me cam swap and headers around 4200.00 $ with a gain of 70 HP ,

IMO its expensive for 70 HP and I think that I will want more after.

It make me think about a engine swap, but I have no idea witch one would be the best bang for the buck.

I would like to have suggestion of people who did that before.
Power costs a lot of $. Back 10 years ago when I had a later C4, I put close to $6k in an upgrade that was just ported heads and cam and catback exhaust. Some of that cost was in replacing old parts that were coming out anyway (so labor was free).I picked a shop that was my regular shop and had a lower labor rate ($60/hr). The so called local race shops all wanted far more and only seemed to know anything about drag racing.

The above was a nightmare, even w/ a lot of planning. I got some bad info (on what was needed if this was to be ok on a road course), poorly selected parts(direct from a supplier who was a so called expert, I had an example of his work in print as part of a book), and neither supplier owned the build and would provide a complete parts list. They disgreed too.

In short:an LS6 would wake up a lot w/cam a lone; cam and exhaust would be better. But realize that you'll probably have to have the springs changed maybe once per year/10k miles. You will want to do it at 1 shop that does this conversion all the time, preferably for road racers. Take a place like Phonix racing and ask where his engine work is done. You will then have to bare the price that this place asks.

I might well just port the heads and do the exhaust if I were to touch my LS6. You might still get a lot of gain but w/o the spring maintenance/reliability issues.

If you replace the engine, it will cost much more and all you get is a warranty on the engine (not labor). You could go LS7 but I think they cost $14k. LS3 will not make close to 70 hp more than Ls6. Basically, I don't know what you'd switch to.

And after all that: realize that you will be driving the car w/all these mods in it with the mod cost uninsured. If you buy track insurance for every event, then ok, the mods are covered for that. On the street, if your car is totalled, all the upgrade $$ is gone. Guess how I know(above holds true if it's the other driver's fault).

Last edited by sothpaw2; 07-01-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 AM
GKennedy
Intermediate

Default Roadracing

Originally Posted by c5_4_me
What do you want the extra HP for? I understand we all want more HP, but a good engine builder/modifier/tuner will get information from you regarding what you want out of the modifications. Road racing? Autocross? Strictly for the street?

The more information you can give us, the better we can advise you.

A cold-air intake, F.A.S.T. intake manifold, LS2 throttle body, higher flow injectors, long tube headers, camshaft, and appropriate engine control module calibration ("tune") could almost all be done for about that much coin (depending on labor rates) and should net (roughly) between 80 and 100 HP gain, depending on the cam selected, etc. The limiting factor will be the stock heads at that point, so porting your heads at the minimum or replacing them with better-flowing aftermarket heads will allow even greater gains. Free-flow catalytic converters and cat-back exhaust will gain a few more ponies.

Any number of Supercharger options could be installed if you are willing to spend a little more.

And I want a Z09, whatever that is.

Sorry I forgot to mention, my purpose is roadracing
Old 07-01-2013, 12:08 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

How do you figure? Headers alone are $1200 - $1800, and that's just parts, not labor. Add in labor for the headers, then parts+labor for the cam package, plus an additional ~$500 for the dyno tune, and $4200 seems reasonable.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

A cold-air intake, F.A.S.T. intake manifold, LS2 throttle body, higher flow injectors, long tube headers, camshaft, and appropriate engine control module calibration ("tune") could almost all be done for about that much coin (depending on labor rates)
Where in San Diego can one get all that work done for south of $5k? By my estimation, you're looking at nearly $4k for parts alone, not including labor or dyno tune.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:01 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Where in San Diego can one get all that work done for south of $5k? By my estimation, you're looking at nearly $4k for parts alone, not including labor or dyno tune.
Just the cam change necessitates other parts changes. You need new injectors, springs, keepers, and probably pushrods. If you are not careful w/selection, you might even have to change roller rockers (or maybe that was just a C4 issue). I also replaced the lifters while in there; the increased load is not necessarily a good idea on old lifters.
This is why the cost can get very high.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Just the cam change necessitates other parts changes. You need new injectors, springs, keepers, and probably pushrods. If you are not careful w/selection, you might even have to change roller rockers (or maybe that was just a C4 issue). I also replaced the lifters while in there; the increased load is not necessarily a good idea on old lifters.
This is why the cost can get very high.
I'm not sure why you responded to me, since we're already in agreement that power costs money, and those costs can add up in a hurry. I was merely expressing disbelief in c5_4_me's claim.

Although, many cam-only LS6's do get away just fine with stock injectors, rocker arms, lifters, and pushrods, but there are even still other hidden costs like timing chain, crank pin, engine cover gasket, oil pump work, etc.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:53 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I forgot to mention, my purpose is roadracing
Save your money ..... the LS6 is best left stock. Put your money in seat time / good brake pads / oil cooler / safety / maintenance . Once you master this car you will be in the front of most packs. When ya wear it out then think about adding power on a rebuild ...

:-)
Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Words of wisdom from RaleighSS--best advice you could/should follow
Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Everyone gets passed when first learning, but after 15 or so weekends at the track, very few cars are catching me with a stock LS6 engine. Track pads and fresh fluids are key. After that coolers are important if in a hot climate (EOC is critical, tranny and diff help). Stickier tires are likely the biggest lap time gain after that. I have a CAI, headers and tune, but difference on track wasn't noticeable.

Also agree that $4,200 is about right for Cam, headers and tune. Headers were ~$1,800 alone for long tubes, and short tubes are pointless. Just don't expect a big reduction in lap time for that $4,200. Money is likely better spent on a good driving instructor and seat time.

Last edited by SunnydayDILYSI; 07-01-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 AM
GKennedy
Intermediate

All ask my question differently, what can I do to upgrade my LS6 to 500 WHP or close to it that ?
I am not a pro driver, but I track an other car that I have , with 600WHP and I just feel like I am in a turtle with my stock LS6 ( I just want to keep up with my wife in my GTR )loll
Old 07-02-2013, 11:58 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

All ask my question differently, what can I do to upgrade my LS6 to 500 WHP or close to it that ?
I am not a pro driver, but I track an other car that I have , with 600WHP and I just feel like I am in a turtle with my stock LS6 ( I just want to keep up with my wife in my GTR )loll
A well thought-out (and expensive) heads/cam/intake manifold package can pretty reliably put a LS6 in the 460-480 rwhp range. If you want much more than that, best to look at bigger cubes or a blower.

Last edited by skyavonee; 07-02-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:50 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Heads+cam+headers+tune might well get you there. I'm not sure but may need intake also. It won't be under $5k to get all that by a reputable professional.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The LS6 only puts out ~355 WHP stock. With CAI, Headers and Tune I get ~375. I expect that a big cam would get me ~420. I don't see how you can naturally get to 500 WHP. Supercharger is the cheapest way to get there, but I expect you would have big heat problems on the road coarse. Only semi-reliable option I see is to bore it out. Your talking about increasing the HP over 40% vs stock, that's not going to be cheap or easy.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

just learn to drive it a c5z can pass just about anything with anyone driving if your not running faster than 95% of everyone bone stock the car isnt the issue...TRUST ME!!!...
Old 07-02-2013, 11:29 PM
jd86L98
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
A well thought-out (and expensive) heads/cam/intake manifold package can pretty reliably put a LS6 in the 460-480 rwhp range. If you want much more than that, best to look at bigger cubes or a blower.
I agree, I have a very well balanced package with a small cam 224/230 and it puts down 450/420 with 380ft/lb from 2600rpm - 6400rpm and pulls hard until the rev limiter kicks in at 6850rpm. Great package! With a 230/236 cam it would probably pick up another 10hp but would a loose a little down low and since its a street car I love the low and midrange punch.

Last edited by jd86L98; 07-02-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z09 HP gain

Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 AM
c5_4_me
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well maybe you got me on the cost issue, as I am a tech myself and I am used to doing things on my own car, but charging people for what I do on their cars. Not to mention that my personal car is nearly bone-stock, so I have never taken on the expense of doing such an upgrade.

ESTIMATED PARTS & TUNE:
cold-air intake = $300
F.A.S.T. intake manifold = $1000
LS2 throttle body = $400
higher flow injectors = $250
long tube headers = $1500
camshaft = $300 (forgot to include springs so ADD $350)
tune = $500

$4600 in PARTS & TUNE (Before Sales Tax)

Labor will depend on the shop but I would estimate roughly $2100 labor. (Tuning labor already accounted for, dyno would be extra)

$6700 Installed (So I was $2.5k too low!)

I realize these estimates are probably a little low, but not outside the realm of possibility, even in Florida or San Diego.

But, I hear ya. The crank-pinning, lifters, pushrods, etc etc etc just drive the costs higher and higher.

Last edited by c5_4_me; 07-03-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

More importantly, if you're really planning on these kind of power mods what are your brake upgrade ideas? The stock brakes would not be up to the task by a long shot.

And I agree with others. I am making 392whp in my C5 Z and not much passes me when I'm really pushing it.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

...$4600 in PARTS & TUNE (Before Sales Tax)

Labor will depend on the shop but I would estimate roughly $2100 labor. (Tuning labor already accounted for, dyno would be extra)

$6700 Installed (So I was $2.5k too low!)

I realize these estimates are probably a little low, but not outside the realm of possibility, even in Florida or San Diego.
Yeah, those estimates all seem reasonable.

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
More importantly, if you're really planning on these kind of power mods what are your brake upgrade ideas? The stock brakes would not be up to the task by a long shot.
You sure about that? I was under the impression that the stock C5Z rotors/calipers could handle a strong H/C/I car, assuming the basic track upgrades (high temp fluid, SS lines, cooling ducts, track pads, and maybe even SS caliper pistons).

Quick Reply: C5 Z09 HP gain