Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 rear suspension question

Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default C5 rear suspension question

Hey guys, I have only owned my Z06 for 4 months now and just got it on the track two weekends ago. I am a former 9 year Mustang guy and understood its suspension very well, but the Corvette suspension is a bit new to me. I realize it has anti-sway bars like the Mustangs, but how is the axle and springs all tied together? I haven't really had time to get up in there an look around too much yet. I do realize it doesn't have coil springs like a Mustang. A Mustang is also either a four link or three link system. Mine just had the four control arms, two upper and two lower. The lowers tied the axle to the torque boxes at the subframe and the uppers tied the axle to the upper frame. I also had a panhard bar to keep the axle from moving side to side. What keeps the Corvette axle planted under the frame? I have seen an older C4 get on it around a corner before and its butt was wagging side to side all over the top of the axle.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The best thing to do is to jack up the car and then jack under the outer ball joint and see how it all works.
The leaf spring is transverse and exerts force on the lower A-arms.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It works like a horse buggy from the 1800s American Frontier. No joke. Go have a look.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Yes, it works just like a 19th century buggy spring but there isn't anything wrong with that. Vette has been using leaf springs since 1963. Although the C2s and C3s had front coil springs. Vette has one upper and one lower control arm on each side in the rear just like the front. Axle half shafts are held in place on each side by the knuckle that goes between the CAs and the diff. The diff, lower control arms and spring are all mounted to the rear cradle which is bolted to the frame. The upper control arms are mounted to the frame. The axles aren't going anywhere unless something breaks.

Bill
Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a picture would help?
Old 07-09-2013, 04:37 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Yes, it works just like a 19th century buggy spring but there isn't anything wrong with that. Vette has been using leaf springs since 1963. Although the C2s and C3s had front coil springs. Vette has one upper and one lower control arm on each side in the rear just like the front. Axle half shafts are held in place on each side by the knuckle that goes between the CAs and the diff. The diff, lower control arms and spring are all mounted to the rear cradle which is bolted to the frame. The upper control arms are mounted to the frame. The axles aren't going anywhere unless something breaks.

Bill
Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Maybe a picture would help?
Thanks guys. Is there a good book available which explains a Vette's suspension geometry as well as maybe the LS engines, tranny, etc?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The cradle is bolted to the frame in 4 spots and pinned in 2. The leaf spring, sway bar, differential and lower control arms are bolted to the cradle. The upper control arms are bolted to the frame. It isn't going anywhere without a big whack.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
Hey guys, I have only owned my Z06 for 4 months now and just got it on the track two weekends ago. I am a former 9 year Mustang guy and understood its suspension very well, but the Corvette suspension is a bit new to me. I realize it has anti-sway bars like the Mustangs, but how is the axle and springs all tied together? I haven't really had time to get up in there an look around too much yet. I do realize it doesn't have coil springs like a Mustang. A Mustang is also either a four link or three link system. Mine just had the four control arms, two upper and two lower. The lowers tied the axle to the torque boxes at the subframe and the uppers tied the axle to the upper frame. I also had a panhard bar to keep the axle from moving side to side. What keeps the Corvette axle planted under the frame? I have seen an older C4 get on it around a corner before and its butt was wagging side to side all over the top of the axle.
??????
Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69427
??????
Yes you could literally see the tail end moving side to side over the wheels/axle. This isn't unique for a Mustang with worn out bushing in their stock control arms, but I didn't know what a C4 and C5 rear suspension was built on.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:29 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
Yes you could literally see the tail end moving side to side over the wheels/axle. This isn't unique for a Mustang with worn out bushing in their stock control arms, but I didn't know what a C4 and C5 rear suspension was built on.
Keep in mind the C4 rear suspension is substantially different than the C5. Sounds like that car was very worn out or had some extreme axle hop.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

the diff doesn't float like it sort-of does in a C4. It is bolted solidly to the subframe, which is bolted directly to the frame. Everything connects to the lower a-arms (springs, shocks, sways), but work independently from there.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 rear suspension question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 rear suspension question