Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealed a radiator leak, will it help?

Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Sealed a radiator leak, will it help?

Just wondering if this fix will reduce temps at all? My WCC Hurricane intake's radiator shroud has never fit as good as stock, so today I decided to fix that.

Before

After

Old 07-11-2013, 09:11 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Anything that you can do to force more air through the radiator will help. Have you also thought about the need to remove the air from the engine compartment via extra hood vents ? The more air volume that you move through and out the better off you will be.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Not so you could tell...

It probably will help some, but you didn't have a huge leakage around it in the first place. If you had some large holes or other ways that the air could sneak around the radiator then it would make more of a difference.

In aircraft it is very important to seal all the gaps like this to reduce what is called "cooling drag". That is, the leakage becomes important because of it contributes to the overall drag and that is a big deal. Small amounts of leakage like you had around that radiator aren't going to push a lot more air through the radiator since they don't effect the pressure drop very much and therefore the radiator flow doesn't change much.

It's good practice and you should do it, but don't expect a lot from it.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
Not so you could tell...

It probably will help some, but you didn't have a huge leakage around it in the first place. If you had some large holes or other ways that the air could sneak around the radiator then it would make more of a difference.

In aircraft it is very important to seal all the gaps like this to reduce what is called "cooling drag". That is, the leakage becomes important because of it contributes to the overall drag and that is a big deal. Small amounts of leakage like you had around that radiator aren't going to push a lot more air through the radiator since they don't effect the pressure drop very much and therefore the radiator flow doesn't change much.

It's good practice and you should do it, but don't expect a lot from it.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

So 1-2 degrees like I thought before. I have thought about venting the hood, but that's $$$. I won't do it to the CE hood for obvious reasons, so then I'd need to add weight with another hood and somehow make it match the car. Haven't dreamed up an acceptable solution to that, so for now I'll press on with better sealing the lip to the radiator as there's leakage between the lip and AC and between the AC and radiator. Probably another 1-2 degree mod, but I'll know I've done all I can on the cheap. After this weekend's event, I'll start rounding up the bits to install a new factory plug on my Spal and get it mounted. I'm hoping that produces tangible results.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

If that is a stock radiator (I can't tell) I'd install a real one before I'd spend much more time/$$ trying to get the stock one to work.

A Davis or DeWitts with a (stock) fan setting adjustment & 160 stat is all most need.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

well the spal will go on the aftermarket radiator anyway and these sealing mods will help maximize any radiator I install. In this moment, I can afford to either drive or mod, but not both. I choose driving.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
well the spal will go on the aftermarket radiator anyway and these sealing mods will help maximize any radiator I install. In this moment, I can afford to either drive or mod, but not both. I choose driving.
I understand budgets, I just could not tell what the radiator was. It does look very clean which is the first thing to keep any of them working with bottom feeder system.

I built a screen (see videos below) for off track easy driving & it comes off for track.

Last edited by froggy47; 07-13-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Radiator cleaning was my first "mod" after my first track day, made quite the difference. I can't tell if this helped or not because our sessions were 20 minutes this time and not 30 like last month, but I don't think coolant got past 220s this weekend and Saturday was in the 90s.

Get notified of new replies

To Sealed a radiator leak, will it help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sealed a radiator leak, will it help?