Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 2014 SCCA Runoffs are at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default The 2014 SCCA Runoffs are at Laguna Seca

The return to the west coast and Monterey’s Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca comes 50 years after the inaugural event at Riverside in 1964. The event alternated between Riverside and Daytona for six years. Once again, Daytona will follow a west coast event. Mid-Ohio was the Runoffs host from 1994-2005.

“Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Daytona, and Mid-Ohio are three of the premier race tracks in the country, if not the world,” SCCA President & CEO Jeff Dahnert said. “Each is a true test of our racers and all have unique qualities to help us crown our National Champions.”

http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=51460
Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the early heads up.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

While I don't think I could make the tow next year (or even racing for that matter), I think this is pretty cool idea. Running at different tracks like this every year is a great idea and I think really bring the Runoffs to the next level. So many possibilities, COTA (which I am surprised is not happening in the next few years), Watkins Glen, a return to Road Atlanta, VIR, Sebring... Good stuff!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
While I don't think I could make the tow next year (or even racing for that matter), I think this is pretty cool idea. Running at different tracks like this every year is a great idea and I think really bring the Runoffs to the next level. So many possibilities, COTA (which I am surprised is not happening in the next few years), Watkins Glen, a return to Road Atlanta, VIR, Sebring... Good stuff!
Might breathe some new life into SCCA.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:12 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So.......are the West Coast Ex T1/T2 guys going to retrofit for Laguna Seca next year?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I am going to explore running GT2... but I don't know for sure....
Old 07-23-2013, 01:34 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
So.......are the West Coast Ex T1/T2 guys going to retrofit for Laguna Seca next year?
Nope.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

WOOT....can't wait!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
So many possibilities, COTA (which I am surprised is not happening in the next few years),
If you were at the SCCA COTA event this year would would know why. They need several years to get the bugs out and that is being extremely kind.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 AM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
If I sell the ST2 C6 I will be in GT2 with a TA2 car, otherwise T1 in the C6. I can easily switch between ST2 and T1 with splitter-restrictor-weight change.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
WOOT....can't wait!
Hey Randy, what national class would you run in with your car? GT2?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
If you were at the SCCA COTA event this year would would know why. They need several years to get the bugs out and that is being extremely kind.
I would imagine 2014 will make or break the staff at COTA... Hosting the xgames will make their heads explode. After that they should be much easier to deal with.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by redtopz
Hey Randy, what national class would you run in with your car? GT2?
Hehe....don't think I can do it, without a bunch of changes I don't want to make. I would love to however....I will look into renting, but this next year we will be starting up a new business and racing in general might be tight....sigh....it is always about TIMING isn't it!?!?!?

I built the car to be able to convert to STO...but then that didn't go to well did it? Hehe. Car is too modified for T1 as far as I know....will look into GT2 though...If a Porsche supercar can run, why not little 'ol me????
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Glancing at the rules quickly, looks like it may be easier to run GT2 than I thought...World Challenge bodywork approved, LS7 with a restrictor and weight is OK...hmmmmmmmmmmm :-D
Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 AM
rmj951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was worried that SCCA had COTA locked up. I hope that COTA management removes there head from there *** long enough for NASA to get some regional races & NASA Nationals set up there.

I love F1 & would hate to see it leave Austin but if they ever do COTA will come begging for club racing & DE rentals!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:47 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
Glancing at the rules quickly, looks like it may be easier to run GT2 than I thought...World Challenge bodywork approved, LS7 with a restrictor and weight is OK...hmmmmmmmmmmm :-D
Yeah I saw the C6 world challenge kit is approved but maybe not the C5 kit? I have the ACP C5 world challenge body kit on my car dated 2003. If I can run that then I will race GT2 next year with an LS6. If not, then I guess I'll just run nasa. I can't imagine why my C5 with an LS6 wouldn't be allowed in GT2, but this is scca we are talking about so logic gets left at the door.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:08 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by redtopz
Yeah I saw the C6 world challenge kit is approved but maybe not the C5 kit? I have the ACP C5 world challenge body kit on my car dated 2003. If I can run that then I will race GT2 next year with an LS6. If not, then I guess I'll just run nasa. I can't imagine why my C5 with an LS6 wouldn't be allowed in GT2, but this is scca we are talking about so logic gets left at the door.
I would email or call and ask. I just had an exchange with Chris Blum in Tech at the national office and he let me know what I need. I would think it would be allowed. Maybe they just need to add the C5 part numbers...assuming they are still made.....

Get notified of new replies

To The 2014 SCCA Runoffs are at Laguna Seca

Old 08-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Jeeezus the SCCA has their head in the sand. Talk about complete alienation of most everyone East of the Mississippi..

There are soooo many more tracks that are qualified within reach of more membership AND have awesome facilities.

More and more masses move to NASA... and, NARRA... and whatever club becomes the flavor of the season.

The SCCA will not stop till they have effectively decreased their car counts to next to zero. Let's throw more Miatas into the T1/T2 race groups... that'll make a HUGE difference!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:14 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
Jeeezus the SCCA has their head in the sand. Talk about complete alienation of most everyone East of the Mississippi..

There are soooo many more tracks that are qualified within reach of more membership AND have awesome facilities.

More and more masses move to NASA... and, NARRA... and whatever club becomes the flavor of the season.

The SCCA will not stop till they have effectively decreased their car counts to next to zero. Let's throw more Miatas into the T1/T2 race groups... that'll make a HUGE difference!
It's one year then they go to Daytona and Mid-Ohio....

Last edited by KBow_Photo; 08-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:38 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Miller is not a short tow, even from Chicago... You go all that way to race at Miller, which in on of the most boring tracks I have ever driven. I would much rather tow further and go to palace like Laguna! And race with SCCA! ;-)

Quick Reply: The 2014 SCCA Runoffs are at Laguna Seca