Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny and diff coolers setup advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Tranny and diff coolers setup advice

I'm looking to add coolers for the transmission and differential on the 2001 convertible I run at track days. I've ordered the Z06 rear grilles and am considering the Doug Rippie tranny and diff cooler package.

Does anyone else run this setup? Any thoughts or concerns? Ease of installation? It's my daily driver, so pump noise may be something of an issue.

It also seems that locating the coolers directly behind the grilles means that only a portion of the coolers will actually have airflow. I went ahead and ordered the brake cooling ducts with the grilles, in the hope that I can modify them with some flex tubing and sheet metal to get airflow to the entire cooler.

Your input is appreciated!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I prefer a mechanically driven cooler pump over an electric pump. LG offers a nice setup and I had another one on a quaife diff from RPM transmissions that I bought from another forum member. The electric pumps are loud, but that's not really an issue on the race track. The mechanical pumps are simple and reliable with no wires or switches to worry about.

As far as cooling, yes you can mount a cooler in the brake duct inlet area (or one on each side). It won't take much air to cool the trans/diff fluids. This is what I did on my T1 car. On my ST2 car, I have the coolers mounted above the diff/tranny and a naca duct blows air directly over the tranny cooler. I don't have any air blowing on the diff cooler, so it is only cooling with whatever air is circulating around the cooler plus radiant heat transfer. I found this to be sufficient for the quaife diff.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The good thing about the electric pumps is that you only have to turn them on when you need them. For the street, you can just leave them off.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an LG mechanical pump...run off the back of the diff....if you would like to buy it, contact me by PM. I bought it for my setup, then when I had Rockland Gear setup the trans/diff, they made it all internal and I did not need the LGM pump. I don't have the coolers or lines, but they were like $150 each from LGM I think....
Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I run the DRM coolers and they do a great job of cooling. Just ran VIR last weekend in 98 degree ambient temps with no problems. The electric [pumps are NOISY. Have them switched so that they only run while on track. Here is a thread I posted with detailed install pictures and information. This should be everything you need to know on the install. PM with any questions.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ful-hints.html
Old 07-26-2013, 02:21 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Rippie setup. Seems to work well. Draining and refilling the trans is a bit of a thing, because of the cooler and the levels of stuff, but you can get it done. I fill, run the pump for a bit, then fill the rest of the way.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:47 PM
boltvette
Racer

Thanks for the info, guys!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 PM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys, not to hi jack, but I'm curious about this. Are the stock coolers ok for hpde? At what level do they become insufficient? I have a 2011 GS Coupe M6
Old 07-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I'd like to see how you guys are dealing with brake cooling. . . or are you? I've been thinking of doing this but putting scoops on the lower control arms to direct air to the rear brakes. Just as an FYI, I have front spindle ducts and stock rear cooling, and the rear still runs cooler than the front! This according to stickers on the calipers.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
Ok guys, not to hi jack, but I'm curious about this. Are the stock coolers ok for hpde? At what level do they become insufficient? I have a 2011 GS Coupe M6
They can be depending on where you run (some tracks require more from a car's components than others --long straights vs short straights, more turns vs less turns, 4 gears needed vs 2 gears, etc...), temperature and your style of driving.

Do you keep a log of your activities? If not, that's a good place to start. Document your DIC readings after each session and you'll know when it's time.

Mike
Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I have the DRM diff cooler and T1 tranny cooler. I'm relocating the tranny cooler to the driver side rear brake inlet (just like the DRM setup). Anybody got pics of how they routes the lines?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the DRM trans and diff coolers and it's a well thought out setup. I'd buy it again for certain.

Taken, I believe Doug has some pics up on the website, but they're all great guys to talk to there-- would just give em a call. May be that they can send you a pic or two.

Added: Decent pics halfway down page here and a few more here.

Good luck. Hope you're enjoying the new racecar.

Last edited by NOSLO6; 07-29-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Added URLs
Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Send me your email and I will get you some pictures

Randy
Old 07-29-2013, 12:40 PM
boltvette
Racer

Thanks again, guys. Randy, it looks like I'll be placing an order shortly. I hope to get it all installed before I head to Auto Club Speedway in mid-Sept.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:45 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Send me your email and I will get you some pictures

Randy
I got the email from you a couple weeks ago. Got the diff cooler installed today, just wanted to see how you routed the lined over to the wheel well. I think I got it ok now.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:16 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WRT rear brake ducting: I've never missed it. My rears wear out roughly 1/3 as fast as the fronts. I've cracked two rear rotors in 9 years. Uncounted fronts.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:24 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking the DRM setup is probably the next thing on the list for my 02Z.

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I'd like to see how you guys are dealing with brake cooling. . . or are you? I've been thinking of doing this but putting scoops on the lower control arms to direct air to the rear brakes. Just as an FYI, I have front spindle ducts and stock rear cooling, and the rear still runs cooler than the front! This according to stickers on the calipers.
The fronts do most of the work... and as such, generate a lot more heat.

As said, you should be just fine without any additional cooling in the rear.

Get notified of new replies

To Tranny and diff coolers setup advice

Old 07-30-2013, 01:29 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
Thanks again, guys. Randy, it looks like I'll be placing an order shortly. I hope to get it all installed before I head to Auto Club Speedway in mid-Sept.
let me know if you need any help with the install
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going to say most of you are doing 20-30 min sessions out on track...maybe a few in the hour long run groups. There is no need at all to do any kind of brake cooling ducts on the back of the car at that point. If you are going for endurance racing...yes it will probably need some sort of duct, and possibly brake fans, but 99% of you will not see any issues from using the ducts as cooling for the coolers.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by redtopz
I prefer a mechanically driven cooler pump over an electric pump. LG offers a nice setup and I had another one on a quaife diff from RPM transmissions that I bought from another forum member. The electric pumps are loud, but that's not really an issue on the race track. The mechanical pumps are simple and reliable with no wires or switches to worry about.

And that is why we did it....you don't have to remember to turn the pumps on, you don't have to listen to those things whine and clatter in the back of the car. Car is moving, pumps are moving fluid.

Clean install and doesn't take up to much room or add that much weight to the car.

Quick Reply: Tranny and diff coolers setup advice